PDA

View Full Version : tanks for 2 Honda 2000s

berghild
12-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I have seen somewhere that someone made their own extended run tank to run two Hondas.....but know I cannot find that site. Duration Power has tanks for sale for $150.00 and up...it seems like we should be able to make our own. Any ideas....I know you MUST..you are the gurus after all!

golf_bears
12-23-2008, 12:46 PM
I made my own last spring. Cost was about $30 when I got done. Bought tubing and fittings at Ace Hardware and the 6 gal. tank at Sportsman’s Warehouse.

Will take some pictures for you in the next few days. PM me and I will e-mail you pictures if you would like.

Take care and Merry Christmas.

Motor31
12-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Post the pix here. I'd be interested in seeing the system too.

golf_bears
12-24-2008, 11:24 AM
OK, will try and do that. Never posted pictures on this forum but will give it a shot, never too old to learn. The parts are in the RV which is covered with a foot + of snow right now and it is still coming down. Will try and get out there later today and see if I can even find the RV.

I'll also try and get a bill of material together for you guys.

Any volunteers to help remove the snow??? Don't all show up at the same time, LOL!!!!

golf_bears
12-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Here are the pictures of my setup for the extended run tank for two Honda 2000 generators.

Not sure how to load pictures in this post so click on the hot link below.

http://public.fotki.com/rjlabonte/generator-pictures/?cmd=slideshow_wiz

When you get to the picture hosting site, right click on the black photo box and select "Go to Full Screen".

The photos are a little shaky but you should get the idea of how things are set up.

Bill of Material:

1. Two plain regular Honda lawn mower gas caps, about $10
2. I bought 15 feet (I made a single hose also) of 3/8” O.D. gas tubing, about $5
3. The fittings are all flared and sized for the 3/8” O.D. tubing. You need one tee, six nuts, and two firewall fittings plus ferrules and tube sleeves. Cost was about $10.
4. Four large washers to fit into the gas caps.
5. Six gallon outboard motor gas tank, about $10

The key to making this work is no leaks in any of the fittings or the gas caps that is why I used the fittings with ferrules and sleeves.

Drill a hole in the gas cap to allow firewall fitting to fit through.

The gas caps have a rubber seal inside to prevent leakage, cut a hole in them to allow the firewall fitting to fit through snuggly.

I placed a washer on the inside and outside of each cap so the nut pressure is against the washers and that way nothing gets cut and pressure is distributed evenly. The gas cap top is fairly thin also another reason to use the washers.

If you have any questions PM me or post and I will try and answer them.

My setup works vey well, had to use it a couple of times this summer.

berghild
12-26-2008, 09:17 AM
i guess i don't know how to access the pics.????

golf_bears
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
berghild,

I think you may have read the post before I was able to edit it. I tried posting the pictures directly into post but could not figure it out. So then I went back and edited it. You may have read the first post before the edits and the hot link to the pictures was completed. Try again and if any problems let me know.

Motor31
12-26-2008, 10:13 AM
I see the secondary gas tank has the feed coming out of the top of the tank. I am assuming you have to place it well above the gen sets to feed. Do you have to start a siphon action or does it do that on its own?

golf_bears
12-26-2008, 10:22 AM
The tank I purchased has an internal tube to the bottom of the tank and also has a filter at the end of the tube.

No siphoning or priming required. You need to make sure the gas tanks on the Hondas are completely full, I mean full right up to the brim. As soon as the Hondas start using gas they will create a vacuum and the siphoning will start out of the extend gas tank. Takes a few minutes but it works great.

golf_bears
12-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Motor31,

Sorry I didn't answer your entire question. I do not have to place the extended tank above the Hondas. The Hondas create enough vacuum to draw gas from the extended tank.

rdunk
12-26-2008, 03:29 PM
FWIW. I have a built-in gen, but I ran across a web site that has a "how to install a larger fuel tank" for a one portable generator. Maybe for two gens it would also work, with a hose "Y", and hose and cap mods for the second tank. Seems to be pretty much the same as g bears, except with the use of marine fittings.

It does have pics also.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2323144_add-aux-fuel-tank-generator.html

berghild
12-26-2008, 06:21 PM
how much time do you think you get out of this 6 gallon set up. I wouldn't want to go too big because it would be too heavy.....but then we have as couple of 5 gallon cans to refill with....hmmm I'll check durationpower.com and see what they say about how long it will run too.
I just love the 5th wheel forums....and expecially the "Suites Gurus" !!!! Cyndy and Howard

berghild
12-26-2008, 06:33 PM
at duration power they have a dual set up for $129.00 says it runs 4 times longer...list of parts seem elaborate. I e-mailed and asked them the size of the tank. they had another tank that was 9 gallon, so maybe this one was 6 gallon

berghild
12-26-2008, 06:42 PM

golf_bears
12-26-2008, 06:47 PM
To answer your duration question with a six gallon tank: I got a good 24 hrs. easily running the 15,000 BTU air conditioner and it was about 95 degrees outside during the day and about 80 degrees during the night. Had other things happening as well, lights TV, coffee pot, toaster, etc.