PDA

View Full Version : Installing Pressure Pro on aluminum wheels

RodeWorthy
12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Recently I bought the Pressure Pro system for my truck/trailer combo. I have the 17-1/2" aluminum wheels and can't tell if the valve stems are aluminum or steel. Pressure Pro advises against installing their sensors on aluminum stems.

For those of you who work with this combination, can you advise what the stem material is? If it is aluminum how did you resolve this?

Also, FYI - On my Chevy I found one brass valve stem that is deformed at the tip which caused a slow leak with the PP sensor in place. Lost 10 lb in about 10 days. I will need to have that stem replaced before a PP sensor can be used there (front left). It does not leak with the internal valve seated and the original cap on.

Huck
12-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Try a magnet...

RodeWorthy
12-19-2008, 02:21 PM
Duh.... why didn't I think of that. This rarified mountain air must be dulling my retired brain :)

Just happened to have magnets and the valve stems are non-ferrous - IOW -- aluminum.

Not too excited about having to change them out. Any solutions?

golf_bears
12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
You may want to try putting Teflon tape on the valve stem threads. I recently had luck with trying that out on my TPMS sensors which were leaking.

Just don't try tightening them down too much or you could strip out some threads.

rverdlm
12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
First, using a magnet won't answer the question because if they are steel it would be stainless steel and most SS are not magnetic. My PP guru also says to use teflon tape, but he also said he's never seen aluminum stems on an RV al wheel. Al stems are used mostly on cars.

billr
12-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Don,

I would think you will be fine with the PP on the trailer wheel stems. I too think they should be stainless. As the others noted, teflon tape should settle the truck tire issue till you are able to replace that stem.

Enjoy the PP, you will love it!

Bill

RodeWorthy
12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks gents,
Don't know why I can't get my head around this thing properly. Of course, SS is non-magnetic too. That is probably what they are. The wheels came from DRV when it was built - they are the Chinese aluminum wheels. I will go ahead and install the sensors and stop fussing over this.

We have also been advised by the vendor that teflon tape can be used. If anyone tries this do not use more than one wrap of the tape. I will try that on the deformed truck stem and keep an eye on it.

Making the trip from Benson to Casa Grande on Sunday. First run with the Pressure Pro.

Merry Christmas everyone!

ponch
12-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Don

the wheels on minehave ss stems and I am sure yours are the same.

MERRY CHRISTMAS n HAPPY NEW YEAR