PDA

View Full Version : Jack in Alaska

hmwilbur
12-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Not really an MS question, except that we do own one, but we are headed to Alaska May of 09 and wonder if you have any hints or suggestions? We plan to take the Marine Highway and Inter Island ferry's through the Inside Passage and then the road from skagway to where ever.

KAI
12-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Don't have any suggestions for you, just wanted to say we are heading for Alaska in May of 09 also. Chuck and Shirley Zoller, originally from southwestern Michigan. We have our new 2009 Milepost which I'm sure we will use religiously. Maybe we will see you all in Alaska sometime this spring or summer. We also have a Mobilesuite.

Jack in Alaska
12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Hmwibur.................

Boy you must be flush with $$$$ to bring your MS and truck on the ferry. That is pretty pricey. It is a great trip though.
The Alaska Highway is in great shape. All paved, some frost heaves north of Whitehorse to the Ak. border(drive slowly). After getting off the ferry in Skagway you need to drive up to the Ak. Hyw. at Whitehorse, see Whitehorse, a great little town in the wilderness) then north to Fairbanks. See the sights there then south to Denali Park(Mt. Mckinley) then to Anchorage. See those sights then to the Kenai Penninsula, to Seward then to Soldotna, then to Homer(don't miss that run). You will be at the end of the road system so you need to go back north through Anchorage, to the Wasilla where Gov. Palin lives, then to Glennallen and down to Valdez where the pipeline terminal is, then back down the Ak. Hyw. to America.
Enjoy your trip, bring lots of money and be safe. It is a trip of a life time.

Jack in Alaska (we have made that trip 61 times)

berghild
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
please.....please do not overlook the Cassiar HIghway! we went up in Mid May....it was beyond beautiful...it joins the alaska highway....we returned the AK all the way. while on the Cassiar we went down into Stewart and Hyder....what a trip! Saw my firwt wolf in Stewart! Bears coming out of hibernation and playing in the yards of the people that live there.
Also buy the discount passport book...we got ours at safeway for 99.00....it gives you two for one things all over alaska. go early and stay late....you won't be sorry! Cyndy

Jack in Alaska
12-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Cyndy gave you excellent advice. We came down the Cassiar in Oct. and it was in great shape. A long way between fuel stops so be careful on that.

Any questions just ask.

Jack in Alaska

hmwilbur
12-17-2008, 05:53 PM
I ordered and received the tour book, the Mile Post, Bells three books, and misc. stuff from the Yukon, BC, and Alaska. We are doing the Inside Passage by Ferry because we NOT interested in a Cruise Ship and if we are going to see Alaska the Inside Passage is part of it. We spend our winters in Mexico and will go right on up next srping from there. Right now we are trying to get out of the UP of Michigan.
Thanks for all the information.

kfrimr
12-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Just a heads up that you should purchase your ferry "Alaska Marine Hwy" passage early in the new year. The room on the ferries fill's up fast, especially as big as you will be. It will be spendy so take the time to spend some time at each of the ports through out the south east to make it worth the time and money. There is so much to see and do. We lived in Ketchikan for 4 years and Juneau for a year and traveled a lot in the south east and still never saw it all. Sitka is a week in itself. Petersburg is a must see fishing town. Get a milepost magazine. Enjoy the trip.

Kent

hmwilbur
12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
kfrimr
I talked to the Ferry people and they told me to get the reservations in before or close to the first of Jan. I will give you my schedual to see if you think I have given each place enough time
Ketchikan 6 1/2 days, POW 3 days, Wrangell 3 1/2 days, Petersburg 2 1/2 days, Sitka 3 1/2 days, Juneau 5 1/2 days. It will give us about 3 weeks in the Inside Passage.
I really appreciate all this information.
Margo

Jack in Alaska
12-18-2008, 02:46 PM
From my perspective those times are about right. The SE is beautiful and you will have a great trip, one most people don't do with an RV. That gives you the opportunity to explore each place and still have your own rig.

Enjoy............Jack in Alaska (south central)

BobW
12-18-2008, 05:43 PM
A few years ago, we went up the Cassiar. The road was so bad I can't even explain it to you. I remember the back of our RV was so coated with mud, we had to scrape it off with a board. It's a good thing we didn't have a tow car. On the way to Dawson, we blew out 3 tires. I brought 3 tires only with us and had to buy another in Dawson just to have a spare at a cost of $400. What we did was drive up and had our RV ferried back to Tacoma from Anchorage. All the roads were good except the Cassiar. Also, everyone we talked to said the top of the world hwy, accross the river from Dawson, was a no no. It was no problem. Great drive.

berghild
12-18-2008, 07:24 PM
YES THE CASSIAR WAS MUDDY IN THE SPRING...DID IN 06 I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A FLASH....I DON'T THINK DAWSON IS WORTH THE TRIP OR THE ARTIC CIRCLE. MAYBE ON A TOUR BUS!
THE CASSIAR WAS 80% PAVED THEN...IN BETWEEN IT WAS GRADED MUD...ALL THE RV PARKS HAVE PRESSURE WASHERS...AND EVERYONE NEEDS EM..ESPECIALLY IN THE SPRING ON ALL THE ROADS.
i ENVY YOU YOUR FERRY TRIP....OOOO BOY.....WHAT A WAY TO GO!
CAUGHT A 137 POUND HALIBUT OUT OF ANCHOR POINT ON A SMALL BOAT...8 OF US....GOOD SIZE TO GO OUT ON.
at HOMER WE BACKED INTO A SPOT ON kACHEMAK BAY ON THE SPIT FOR 10.00 A NIGHT...PICKED UP ROE AT THE CLEANING STATION AND PUT IT OUT ON A ROCK AND FILMED THE eAGLES COMING IN TO CHASE THE GULLS OFF AND FEED. aWESOME! OH i'D LOVE TO GO AGAIN.