PDA

View Full Version : Water leaking from somewhere

Beaver
10-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Discovered a leak in the front right compartment storage area. Thought the source was the side trim just above the front right jack, however caulking that did not resolve the problem. Has anyone had a similar leak or can give me suggestions on finding it?

BobW
10-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Where you just driving in the rail lately? Is the water coming out at the bottom?

Motor31
10-19-2008, 08:15 AM
It's hard to determine what side you mean when you use left or right. Is it on the curb side or door side?

If on the curb side check the area around the opening for the bedroom slide. I found a leak that was in the area of the flashing on the opening of the slide and it drained down the inside wall of the basement. Caulking the flashing stopped that one.

I also had a leak from the roof in the seam between the cap and roof membrane. The previous caulking had cracked and allowed water to enter there. Check your skylight and fan openings as a leak there can "travel".

I had to re caulk every window and the door as well the first year we had the rig as the factory never sealed them properly. One window leak was so bad it looked like a water wall on the inside when it rained. The factory "technician" put a bead of caulk on the top seam of the openings but not down the sides or bottom of the windows and doorway. Some of the beads didn't even cover the entire top edge of the opening.

Beaver
10-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Right side (door side) Compartment carpet is wet from the front jack back to the large compartment door. Live in the wet Pacific Northwest and the rig is just sitting.
Will check the bedroom window and seam around the roof/sidewall.
Thx....

bstark
10-19-2008, 04:41 PM
If trailer is not moving but sitting, I would go up on the roof and double check the aluminum trim that goes up the side of the trailer and curls over the roof for about 18" at the joint Mike described. Some of the screws may have been "over-torqued" and their heads were broken off during assembly and the caulk will hold that trim piece in place until the rig gets 50 yards away from the dealers lot.

If not leaking there you may have the cargo door unsealed over it's top framing and water is entering and following that framing around and down to enter at the front lower corner of your cargo door.

If your trailer is slightly nose low where it's sitting it would stand to reason the carpet may actually be getting wet by the cargo door then "wicking" forward.

Beaver
10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Checked the roof area. Factory did a great job of caulking the entire area.
Found the problem around the large side compartment door. Seal was broken across the entire top of the door frame. Could only see the separation when you got real close to it. Sealed it and assume it will take care of the problem. Thanks for all the advice.