PDA

View Full Version : lubing axles and slides

berghild
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
DH wants to lube the axles. Ithought we had Duralube Dexter axles...but maybe tht was on the old rig. Anyway, my "GURU" friends...what type lube are we supposed to use...AND did we ever find out what the correct lube was for the hydraulic slides?

Motor31
09-15-2008, 10:09 AM
The suspension system, grease points on the hangers and equalizer, are done with a standard grease from a grease gun you can get any any auto supply store. It doesn't take anything fancy for that. Just make sure all the zerks take grease.

I lube my slides with a food grade silicone spray on the sides of the box where the seals contact and a plain old wax candle on the mechanism under the rig. The wax won't accumulate gunk like a grease or oil will.

berghild
09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
in the grease gun...just standard ol grease? I know nothing about grease,.....cyndy

47hook
09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease (same I use for my TV) but I find that I can't get the grease gun on several of the fittings because of tire interference. So, I replaced the straight grease (zerk) fittings with 90 deg ones purchased at NAPA. Just unscrew one of the original ones and and take it to the parts store to match threads. Also, some of the shackle bolts need to have pressure/weight removed before they would take grease; I just use my 20 Ton bottle jack under the frame to unload some weight...don't need to completely jack the tire off the ground. I also do this with the 5er hooked to TV and the landing jacks/stabilizer jacks off the ground to limit stress there.

bstark
09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
I removed all the shackle bolts and inserted them from the other side so I can simply lay under there and get the gun easily on all of them. You can also "set" the shackle bolts by rotataing them a wrench flat at a time until they take grease and then cinch up on the clamp nut and you're good to go, they'll take grease forever after doing this. you are simply rotating the exit hole for the greae in the bolt to an index where the weight of the entire trailer isn't forcing the spring eye tight over that hole and inhibiting grease flow.

Motor31
09-16-2008, 08:35 AM
If you go to the auto parts store and look at the grease tubes for the standard style grease gun you'll see several types of grease. Just use the general purpose grease, a high temp or "fancy" grease is not needed. This ain't rocket science, just greasing the suspension. If any zerk doesn't take grease you can rotate the bolt to move it like already described. If the shackle is hard up against the grease hole in the bolt you won't get grease in it. You may need to use a jack to remove pressure on the bolt to rotate it. I had to rotate one on our rig. They all take grease easily now.