PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Fan Broken Blade

RGordon
08-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Just put my door side slide in and broke my ceiling fan blade in living room. I knew that I had to look and make sure it cleared when bringing in slide, but dropped my guard. Has anyone ever had to replace on the the blades and if you did, where would you find one? They are fairly short!!

CherriandBob
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Ron
We have broken ours twice! The first time Bob glued it back together and sanded it and it look ok. The second time we had it in Elkhart for other repairs and it got replaced then. I think over time the blades start to droop and sag and I'm too short to reach them so Bob has to be around when we put the slide in. If they were set just a little deeper in the ceiling it would not be a problem.

Cherri

larry_electricguy
08-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Hi Ron & Libby,

When we first got our MS in November of 2004 Larry broke one fan blade and I broke two fan blades! I believe Larry calle DT and they sent us one, he also talked with the Dealer...they wound up ordering us a couple....and our dealer rep walked over to fan and just bent the arms up alittle bit! How easy was that...so since then we haven't broke any more!

IT is a bummer for something as simple as a fan blade to be in the way of the slide, I know it is an easy fix...but still not a good, and it really hurts your feeling to have to look up there and see a lopsided fan...and our scratched our wood work also!

Betty

Okie
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM
I have had that problem myself and tthe dealer just replaced the whole thing, they put it on my warranty. I don't think it was really covered but they did it any way. I found, before they took it out that the screws that hold the blades on the arm were coming loose and the blades were drooping. So I check them on a fairly regular basis now.

Okie

RGordon
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I contacted DRV and they said it was still in warranty and would ship out a new set of blades today. They are so wonderful to work with.. I plan on shiming the blades so they will clear the slides and will be one less thing I will have to do when breaking up camp.

hitchup
08-28-2008, 09:23 AM
The screws do come loose over time. It's one of the little things that need to be checked periodically. We didn't figure this out until the blades wouldn't turn.

Motor31
08-28-2008, 10:56 AM
If your rig is out of warranty it may just be easier to get and install a new fan. It's not a big deal and they are standard ceiling fans like you can find in any major hardware store.

2 DA WDS
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
One thing to check after you break a blade is that the pressure can actually 'cock' the fan. I had to bend the whole fan back to level after we broke a couple of blades. A very slight unlevel condition of the fan magnifies when it gets to the tip of the blade.