PDA

View Full Version : replacing batteries

ponch
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
What batteries have anyone used to replace their original with?

Did you use a sealed unit? If so what brand?

Thanks

rdunk
05-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Ponch, I replaced my original "Interstate" batteries with the Lifeline GPL-4C deep cycle 6 volt batteries. These are the AGM (absorbed glass mat) type batteries, and are 100% maintenance free.

These are expensive as compaired to standard type liquid acid batteries, but, these are the type of batteries being used in marine and aircraft applications (and some motor homes). I bought my Lifelines on the internet, from Solar Biz.

There are also other types of AGM batteries available. Sam's Club sells an AGM - I think Sam's yellow case is suited for our application. Not sure whether it fits in our provided space???

http://www.thesolar.biz/

http://www.thesolar.biz/LIFELINE%20Batteries%20for%20Marine%20and%20RV.htm

Hobo
05-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I have gone with the Sears AGM 12V deep cycle. They were a little more expensive then others but had the best warranty with 6 yr replacement and prorated after that.
And of course you fan find Sears nation wide.

Motor31
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I just lost one of the original batteries I had in the rig last month. I replaced them with standard wet cell deep cycle batteries from Costco. The price differential with the sealed glass mat batteries they had was significant. Having used the sealed ones before I can't say that the lower amp hour rating and similar life was worth the sealed no maintenance advantage. I am hesitant to use a sealed battery until I have a better control over charging other than the plain converter system. I can add water to the wet cells so maintaining them isn't that big of a deal.

I use two 12 volt batteries as house power. It let me keep going on the system until we got to our destination when one battery lost a cell during the trip. All I had to do was isolate the bad battery and just use the remaining one. That's the only advantage dual 12 volt batteries have vs a pair of 6 volts.