PDA

View Full Version : Inside Hand Rail

mcfarlak
05-11-2008, 04:45 PM
The hand rail going up to the bedroom in our 07 Elite Suite has come loose again. Any ideas on how to secure a tight and permanent fix. My wife has just had total knee replacement and needs the handrail for stability.

Thanks
Ken

Motor31
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm a bit leery about the strength of the original equipment. You might want to consider an after market floor to wall handle. Something that can bolt to the bottom step then angle to the wall or loop over to the top step. What I am thinking of would be similar to one side of a "walker" frame that would provide a hand hold in the step area. If it went all the way to the top step it would interfere with the sliding door though.

jack_diane_freedom
05-12-2008, 02:39 PM
I agree that you should have something a little more robust installed. These little wooden things, held on with 2 screws seem to me to be more decorative than functional. I would not rely on it for a safety at all.

Huck
05-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I know what you are talking about.
My wife is on her second set of knee replacements.
And our had rail is realy loose too.
It seems like it is just a matter of time untill the thing lets loose..

I am thinking about attaching a good hand rail by way of cutting out the inner left side of the closet wall.

bstark
05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Huck, be careful cutting into that inner wall as the cavity between the closet and the stair wall is full of wiring from your slideout switches, tank level sensors, water pump, water heater propane start and the wall thermostat etc.. In my trailer it also houses a tank vent pipe.