PDA

View Full Version : Slide toppers

RonS
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
If you have slide toppers check the screws that hold them to the slide, 75% were broken. (One side of the topper came complety off) Must find a better way to keep them from flapping in the RGV wind. Leaving the valley Saturday, and following the robins north.

BobW
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
I took all the screws out and replaced them with stainless steel over sized screws long ago. More then half had broken. Better check the rest of the 200 screws on your DT also.

igotjam
03-19-2008, 08:10 PM
RonS
You did well to make it this long. My bedroom topper fell off after 3 months.

rdunk
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Doubletree RV released a service bulletin (S/B #06-004) on this subject probably about two years ago. The S/B called for the removal of the existing screws on all slide topper brackets, and to replace them with larger screws - #10 x 1.5" self-tapper screws (I asked the dealer to use stainless steel when changing mine). This is a warranty "repair" item for the dealer.

This S/B states "Please check all Mobile Suite units prior to VIN #2951 coming into your facility, and change the topper bracket screws".

Each dealer should have this service bulletin.

While this is not a new subject on this forum, I don't think it has been discussed recently. Hope this helps!

igotjam
03-20-2008, 07:39 AM
rdunk For a 2006 service bulletin it is strange that it's still a concern. I looked at an 08 MS on a dealers lot with 3 screw heads missing. Mine was built in 07 and when my slide topper fell off I had all the screws replaced...over half were broken.

mloftin
03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
We picked up our 08 MS38RL3 late January and noticed that on the bedroom slide 2 screws were broken off, dealer replaced all slide toper screws. When we got back to the park noticed that bedroom slide toper bracket was comming loose again, took it loose found that dealer did not remove broken screws just drilled new holes and some of those screws had broken off I replaced all screws in that bracket and now have found more screws broken in dinett toper. Call Tom @ DT and he has sent me new screws and bracket spacers for all!!

Hope this sloves this issue.. Seems that DT could come up with a fix by now!!

RonS
03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I had the topper screws changed out per the service bulletin, and they still broke. This time I changed them all myself and used #10 2 inch stainless.