PDA

View Full Version : Hehr windows

Charlie and Sue
03-17-2008, 08:17 AM
The first two years of our 05 MS we had to replace two dual pane windows because they became cloudy between the panes, now we have two mre that are doing the same thing. Does anyone know if the manufacturer will replace the windows without cost after the unit warranty has expired from Doubletree?
Thanks, Charlie and Sue

Diesel-Gypsy
03-21-2008, 02:39 PM
If they will, I would certainly like to find out as well.
I have 5 windows that are "cloudy".

It seems they must have done something different on a huge batch of windows because I have seen other MS units with the same "cloudy" windows.. :cry:

Rick

Motor31
03-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Any idea of what year unit is affected?

layne
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
On our back window, (TK3), we have two spots where I thought a bird had flown into it. When Steve couldn't get it off from the outside or the inside, we looked at them closer. It looks like soap or something white has dripped between the panes, then ran down just a little. We have no idea what this is or how it got there. Is this the cloudy look you are describing, or something totally different? We hadn't thought about having it replaced as it is kind of small, but there is another window that has a similar kind of spot and I hate to think it might get worse. Our unit is a 2007 and we've had it a little over a year. Layne

sigo'suite
03-23-2008, 10:12 AM
I am told by some friends who had the same problem that Hehr will ship new windows and you pay the installation if out of warranty or go to Elkhart and they will replace them at their facility.

Charlie and Sue
03-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the replies, will contact Hehr when we get back to N.Y. in May, will let you know how we make out.

Thanks, Charlie and Sue

Charlie and Sue
04-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Yup, Herh will replace the faulty windows and we will pay the labor, no complains on that, will be done the thursday before Memorial Day. We talked with Will Avery at the factory, couldn't ask for nicer people to deal with.

Charlie and Sue

cptxguys
04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
We've discovered the same thing with our 05 TK3 on both of the large door side side windows (behind the table and the recliners).

Do you have the contact number for the manufacturer?

Gunship Guy
04-28-2008, 07:12 PM
No problem on ours but nice to know Hehr stands behind their windows just in case.

Charlie and Sue
04-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Wil Avery, 574-935-5122, don't know if DT will install them.

Charlie

Charlie and Sue
05-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Update on our window replacement. Our dealer quoted a price of $150.00 per window for labor, it ended up $676.00 for replaceing the rear window and curb side rear window (TK3). We had a third window go bad by the fridge but Hehr sent a frosted window for that so it wasn't done. Now the two windows have become clouded on the door side slider. We will have to contact Hehr again to see if they will replace these also. Has anyone replaced the windows themselves and how tough a job is it?

Thanks, Charlie and Sue

BobW
05-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Charlie and Sue, do you have the painted windows on your RV? Wonder what they would do about that?

Charlie and Sue
05-28-2008, 07:55 PM
they are just deep tint dual pane windows. charlie

Ade
05-30-2008, 04:04 AM
Charlie & Sue, We own a 2006 TK3 and I changed out all of my windows in less then a day and I had never done it before. We bought it off of the lot and it didn't have dual pane was the reason I changed them out.

Charlie and Sue
05-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I guess my only concern is removing and reinstalling the wood trim. Is it stapled to the wall and if so did you put it back on the same way? Thanks for the reply, Charlie

Charlie and Sue
06-01-2008, 01:33 PM
I pulled the wood trim off one window, no sweat, will replace the windows myself. Charlie

Ade
06-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Charlie & Sue. When I took the trim off I left the blind and all on the trim. Made it a simple job. I used a air nailer to put the trim back on. Make sure you get a new seal with the window.

Charlie and Sue
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Ade,
Thanks for the advice!

Charlie

wandrr
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
We have had 13 windows (almost every one) replaced over the years for fogging between the thermopanes. The most recent was just last month (two years out of warranty!) at the DoubleTree factory. Hehr did the work and it was completely covered, despite being very long out of warranty. When the first windows were replaced three years ago (still in warranty period), our DoubleTree file was annotated that we may have received a bad batch of windows, which has really helped our later claims.

Now that almost all windows are replaced, we will hopefully have no more problems!

ponch
10-23-2008, 04:12 PM
First off Hehr will not do anymore replacement instillations.
Seems that someone did a whole lot of complaining about their quality of instillation after they did the replacement so now they have quit doing them.

Instillation is very easy. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE WINDOWS.
You pull the rubber off the outside and have someone gently push the window from the inside as you take a putty knife to cut loose the caulking, I guess that is what it is, then just reinstall and push the rubber back into place.

Diesel-Gypsy
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Ponch, did you do any of these window glass replacements yourself?
I ask because it looks like I will be having to get this done soon.

After looking at my dual-pane windows, I'm not sure they can be pushed "out" from the inside.
It looks possible, but I am not certain, that once the rubber moulding is pulled off the outside, they could be pushed "in" though....

Anybody else have insights on this?

Rick

ponch
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Rick

The moldings do not have to come off.

Yes you can push the windows thru from the inside.

Diesel-Gypsy
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Alrighty then,....
I guess the trick is getting the old glue off the frame in order to leave a nice clean bed for the new glue / glass.

Probably an hour per.

Thanks,

Rick

keithandpenne
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
We just replaced 3 of our big fixed windows (the big rear, one rear side and the one behind the recliners) and 3 of the operating ourselves. All due to fogging from lost seals.

All of the window frames and interior trim were left in place, removing only the glass from the frames. What an easy job. It is a two person process in that once the rubber seals are removed, one person needs to be inside to press against the glass while the other is outside to catch it as the sealant grip is broken. Then both lift the glass unit out on the larger ones.

Once the old glass is removed from the frame, cleaning of the old sealant is a pain but not that difficult. Take care not to loose any of the spacer shims on the sides or top. New bottom shims should be installed as the old ones may have collapsed from the weight of the glass sitting on them.

I would suggest that a trial fit of the replacement glass should be made in order to check the top clearance. One of ours had a little excessive clearance and we had to re-shim the bottom to make the top fit properly.

Donna with Hehr has been great. She has provided written instructions and has followed up on making sure everything worked. She works 4 days, Mon-Thurs, 6:30-2:00.