5thWheelForums.com Forum Index 5thWheelForums.com
Finally, a site dedicated to 5thWheels.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
 HOME

What is the best 5th wheel for fulltiming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    5thWheelForums.com Forum Index -> Fulltimer Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: What is the best 5th wheel for fulltiming Reply with quote

I would like to know what the best 5th wheel for full timing. A true 4 season coach
We live in Ohio and we can't travel yet but would like to full time.
Anyone have any ideas on which coach would be best to live in as far as not freezing up in the winter.
All ideas would be apreciated.

Thanks
Motor31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top brands for fulltiming are getting limited. New horizons, excell, carriage are probably at the top of the list.

Of course the majority of posts here are all about the DRV or mobile suites. I have had one of them for going on 5 years now. I would not want to be staying in Ohio in the winter in it and I had the extra insulation package installed with the dual pane windows. Several owners indicate they have no trouble but I am unimpressed with single wiper seals and then cutting notches in the largest slide seal underneath for roller clearance. That allows free air flow into the unit. I have been in temps down to the teens in this unit and it was chilly with the furnace cycling very frequently even though I stuffed rags in the air flow vents in the seal and used another foam strip for additional air blocking. I have what was then (05) the top of the line 38' rig.

There are a lot of cheerleaders for the brand but you should look over the DRV thread and see some of the recurring problems they have.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
LindaH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no RV really made for Ohio winters...I don't care if they are listed as "4 Season."

The new Excel's (2008 & later) have a -10 degree guarantee *IF* it has double pane windows. Still, staying in weather that cold requires a LOT of preparation. Are there even any RV parks open during the winter in the area you need to be?

I would suggest not buying any RV if you plan on living in it year 'round in Ohio...wait until you are in a position where you can leave during the winter.

ON EDIT: JAB, I just noticed on another post where you just bought a 2009 Suites. Are you not happy with it and looking to trade already? If not, then don't you think it's a little late for your question here?

2007 Dodge Ram 3500
http://earl-linda.blogspot.com

Last edited by LindaH on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
JAB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read my other posts then you must know I am not happy with our
2009 moblie suite and just checking to see if what other true 4 season coaches are out there.
hitchup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very few 4-season 5ers. I think there are even fewer of any other type of RV. Most are really meant for short periods of extreme weather, that's why they come with wheels. It's much tougher when you're forced to spend the whole winter in the North and whole summer in the South. The opposite of Snowbirds.

But we've managed well in both extremes on the East Coast in our 2006 Elite Suite. But I feel our 2009 Mobile Suite is much improved over the 2006 model we had. We've been lucky with only some minor easily fixable flaws.

2014 Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB - our custom retirement home
2014 F450 KR CC 4x4 ...... his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
"Life is Good"
wingnut60

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Winter fulltiming Reply with quote

JAB,
Can't help you with a better choice of brands, but I can relate a little to extended cold weather living in trailers--10 years in WY in oilfield work and living in camps for entire winters in units designed for cold weather is still not real fun. A 2-3" wall with window openings that are exposed to below-zero temps on the outside with 70 d on the inside with humidity present inside will always cause problems. You have to have a heat source to counter the cold and buildings with movable parts will always struggle to keep up with an unending source of heat loss (outside temps). The best way to live during really long cold periods is to NOT BE THERE.
Thus, the snowbird life.
I do not think anyone can make a truly comfortable portable unit to counter long periods of cold. Having spent some time in our Suites in cold weather, I would never attempt to live thru a winter in some of the places that RVers do--but maybe I'm just a wimp.
Just my thoughts.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869
2009 F450 4x4
bucky49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at Ne.w Horizons and leave out windows you don't need. KZ is doing some interesting things. however frost inside windows is a poblem any time you heat inside. We've waited til Jan. 2 for last 2 years to leave. Filling water tank and useing pump is a little trouble. dumping with blueboy in snow not fun. got a maserator and 100' hose this year much easier but still have to rollup wet cold hose. We left campground as they charged as much for electric as for site. only thing easier there was dumping at site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    5thWheelForums.com Forum Index -> Fulltimer Forum All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: