View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM  
Motor31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Mike,
Why would they degrade sooner than a regular awning--aren't they made of the same vinyl or cloth?
Joe
Yes they are similar but seem to have additional plastic coating. That has been the source of some fragments I have seen in several campgrounds.

They degrade faster than an awning because unlike an awning they are out every time the slide it out. That means more exposure to the elements. Take a look around the campground sometime and see the condition of the toppers. You'll see sagging loose ones, some that are flaking and others that are tearing. Unlike a regular awning, when the wind blows you can't roll up the topper, it stays out with the slide.

There are also lots of instances where folks are looking for a solution for the ones that tend to capture water and debris on top of them, enhancing the sag. in the 10 minute tech section of the magazine Trailer Life, I've seen examples of home made PVC pipe assemblies to help put a peak in the topper to get it to shed what ever falls on it. In addition you have to be careful that debris does not get caught under the topper on top of the slide when you retract it. That means having a broom like tool to sweep under the topper while standing on something like a ladder to let you get it under there. It's one thing to go on the roof to sweep debris like leaves and twigs from the top of the slide roof but with the topper you have to get the stuff that blows under the topper.

I can do without the hassle of the topper thanks. To each their own.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote