Old 04-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
astrahsburg

Hello from San Juan Bautista, CA

I just purchased a used 2007 38 RL3. We've been shopping for over a couple years now and this thing just fell in our lap. The wire transfer just completed and it is getting transported tonight.

We having been looking at new units like Montana and others, but I just kept struggling with the initial loss in value of a new unit. This guy has everything we want at a 3rd of the price of what we would have paid for a lower quality new unit and it is in pristine condition.

I'm sure I will have a ton of questions about how things are wired up in this guy. I have a few upgrades planned like a dish washer and power dump valves. Eventually we want to pull the range and replace with a stove as well, but that's lower on priority.

We've been living in a 32' Jayco class C with no slides for the last few years, so this is going to be a HUGE living upgrade for us.

astrahsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Stripit

Wow, how exciting for you. Your going to get lost wandering around in all that space your moving into. This is a great bunch here and will help answer your questions as you think of them.

2004 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #1341
2008 Lexus 400H
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

Congratulations on the new-to-you Suites--they can be great trailers to travel or live in.
We had an '05 36TK3 for 10 years and traded it for a '15 38RSSA. The '05 did a yeomans job for us, I am sure the RL3 will for you also.
We also had the stovetop changed to an oven/cooktop, we also had a factory dishwasher near the rear end of the island.
There are quite a few similarities between the '05 and yours--will be glad to help if I can, just ask. My direct email is joedobry@gmail.com
2015 38RSSA #7382
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories
2009 F450 4x4-died at 207781 miles
2010 F450 replacement
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
astrahsburg

Took delivery this morning and got it almost all set up. Few things have popped up.

a: Brakes are not functioning. This will probably take a lot more research to dig into but since this thing is going to just sit here, it doesn't really matter.

b: Hydraulic leak. Slides are out and landing gear is down, but my tank is now empty and I can't level. There's oil moisture on the front left jack, so I assume it needs new seals. Can I just stop at Camping World or automotive shop to pick up fluid to add to the tank? Is there a process needed to clear air from the line? What's the best way to fill the tank, it doesn't look like there's enough room to get a bottle tipped up inside where the tank is.

c: No hot water yet. The Supply to the tank was off and anode removed. Pictured is it's current condition. I reinstalled and turned the hot water on both inside the house and with the rocker switch at the tank. Burner fired up, but what controls whether it runs off propane or elec?

Should I go ahead and replace the anode? .

d: Grey water valve appears to be stuck. I was going to replace with electronic valves anyway, so not too big of a deal. Haven't tried Black tank yet, but hopefully that valve works properly.

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I will discover more this weekend, but so far so good.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

The water heater (on my '05) works off a small rocker switch located in the electric/control closet area--should say DSI and have a small red LED next to it. If you flip the switch, the LED should come on and go out when the propane lights. The electric is also controlled by a rocker switch--in mine, it looked just like a wall switch and was also located in the same panel area. The heater should work with either source, or both on at same time. You need to be outside at the heater and have someone flip the DSI switch and you should hear some clicking and then the propane will light. All this assumes you have propane and have purged air from the lines.
My unit did not have any indicator the electric was on, just flip the switch and wait...
I would not let CW work on my trailer unless you happen to know your closest store is a 'good' one--lots of not-so-good ones around--use automatic transmission fluid to refill the tank, and a battery fill tube/bulb to get it in there.
Whoa, you said you have propane heating it? Then you just have to wait til it gets hot. Propane will not fire if water is already at temp. As I said, both heat sources will work at same time, so give it time to heat. If the anode was clean and smooth, then it should be ok. When propane turns itself off, then turn on the electric and see if it stays hot...
Grey water valve is located by following the drain pipe back to the plastic housing where it disappears into. You willhave to lower the housing or cut into it to remove. Once you get it lowered or off, you can access the grey valve. The black valve is inside the basement directly behind the water manifold or in that area if you don't have the manifold. Being a contortionist will help on both these valves.
2015 38RSSA #7382
2010 F450 replacement
Old 04-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
astrahsburg

My anode picture didn't come through, here it is again.

You can see the on off switch on the bottom left. i'm guessing this is the electrical side of it and that the gas on/off is in the control panel.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #7
astrahsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I would not let CW work on my trailer unless you happen to know your closest store is a 'good' one--lots of not-so-good ones around--use automatic transmission fluid to refill the tank, and a battery fill tube/bulb to get it in there.
Yeah, I have no intention of CW working on this thing. I like to do things myself so I know how to fix when things go awry. I was just curious about sourcing the fluid. If it's just any transmission fluid, then I can get that from auto parts store. Thanks for the battery/bulb idea.
Quote:
Whoa, you said you have propane heating it? Then you just have to wait til it gets hot. Propane will not fire if water is already at temp. As I said, both heat sources will work at same time, so give it time to heat. If the anode was clean and smooth, then it should be ok. When propane turns itself off, then turn on the electric and see if it stays hot...
Definately saw it light up.

Quote:
Grey water valve is located by following the drain pipe back to the plastic housing where it disappears into. You willhave to lower the housing or cut into it to remove. Once you get it lowered or off, you can access the grey valve. The black valve is inside the basement directly behind the water manifold or in that area if you don't have the manifold. Being a contortionist will help on both these valves.
Sounds like more work than I was envisioning, but thanks for the info. Will have to prepare for this one.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Stripit

That rod is almost like new, reuse it. Make sure you have water in the tank before either using the gas or electric system, But you knew that already....
2004 Mobile Suites 36TK3 #1341
2008 Lexus 400H
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Yes, the rod is ok to reuse. But you need to work on cleaning up the threads on both it and the tank...or you may find a real problem when you next want to remove it.
There is a pair of reset buttons behind the blank rubber square housing above straight above the gas assembly. It is soft rubber and has to spots to push in on--I would remove that rubber cover and check the reset buttons and be sure you push them in.
If you have the time and inclination, the entire heater area needs a good cleaning with a rust remover, being careful not to let it run down on the paint below. Keeping these appliances clean will go a long way towards them living a long life.
2015 38RSSA #7382
2010 F450 replacement
Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
wingnut60
Site Team

Some owners say Dexron is needed, but I have always used any generic trans fluid. Be sure not to squeeze the bulb hard 'cause the open end ain't pointed down...
Generally, the reservoir should be filled with the 2 main slides in and the bedroom out--I believe that is when the max level will be in the resevoir--you don't wnat to fill it when the slides have the fluid in the rams or it will overflow. Wipe down all the fittings with paper towels--they probably all have a little fluid on them--then you can see if any of them are actually leaking now. If you tighten a fitting, use a backup wrench, don't just turn on the fitting without a backup.
Once you have the fluid up to correct level, working the slides in/out should eventually work out any air, and I have heard the correct order to do this is door slide/kitchen slide/bedroom out and then reverse that orde in--several times. This may also alert you to if you actually have a leak somewhere.
Joe

2015 38RSSA #7382
2010 F450 replacement