Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
2 DA WDS

Slide Out Awning

Ok, I know theres info out there but I cant find it. I want to order an awning for the curb side slide. I got a number off here but have been told by the dealer that it is not a good number. I called DTree and they have not been forthcoming with any info. They told be to call Dometic and I might as well order blind from Camping World as deal with them. Can anyone supply me with the correct information?

And, has anyone installed the awning rail and awning themselves??

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
bstark

Tom: I haven't done it myself but how difficult can it be? Just take measurements from a similar trailer with the extra awning and have at it with your drill/driver. Only use stainless fasteners of a larger size instead of the stuff commonly used.

There will not have been any different underlying structural design done for those trailers with the awning as they will all be identically framed and able to support the awning.

I have an 05 38RL3 with the slideout awning and if you think the numbers would help with yours, I'll take a walk across the yard and get the numbers off of the awning cylinder and the support arms if the labels are still there.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
RonS

Watching this with great interest as I want to have awnings on my slide for 06 36TK3. Also a pull down something on back window which reduces sun and still be able to see out. Anyone have this and where did you get them?
THANKS!
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
Red Ram

Tom, I have the Carefree of Colorado slide out covers on my MS. I had the dealer install them and as I remember it took them about 2 hours per slide. They have a nice sturdy plastic cover to protect the awning material. I have had the Dometic covers before and I like theas better. They cost more but I believe there is more quality to them and should last longer. Take a look at this site, they are the ones that I have.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...-out-cover.htm - 24k -
Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
JudyGail

Send a message via ICQ to JudyGail
Are you looking for the slide cover or a regular awning?

We ordered our '06 TK3 with an awning on the curb side slide, but the factory rep (a real ditz) decided on her own that it would void the refrigerator warranty if put there, so she had it put on the dining slide......... without telling either the dealer or us. You can imagine our frustration when we first saw our MS and it had the awning on the wrong side.

Our dealer put an awning on the curb side for us, splitting the cost.... we paid $400.

Tonight after I get home from work I can open it out and get all the info you might need, assuming it's the regular awning and not a slide cover you want.
MobileSuites '06 36TK3 #3151
Fulltimer Aug. '06, Hit the Road Sept. '07
JudyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
2 DA WDS

Awning info

Ok, heard back from Trevor at DT.
Awning number is 858EA44.150-B1
Hardware is 8483000.402-B
He said that this is what they order if you chose the slide awning option.
I will call Dometic tomorrow and see what these numbers convert to.

Bruce, I think your slide is longer than mine.

Judy Gail, my curb side slide is the dining room slide.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
jdwilson3

RonS, here is the link for the shade for the rear window. I installed one of these on my Avion, and it was easy. I will be adding one to our ES soon.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...en/prodID=1967
Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #8
sigo'suite

A&E is now offering a cover for their slideout awnings which can be installed either at time of install or after. Just saw them yesterday at United RV in Ft. Worth. Did not inquire about cost.
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
JudyGail

Send a message via ICQ to JudyGail
Re: Awning info

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 DA WDS
Judy Gail, my curb side slide is the dining room slide.
Oh duh! Mine is too. My Father-In-Law always told me I wouldn't know my left foot from the right without a pebble in m' shoe.
MobileSuites '06 36TK3 #3151
Fulltimer Aug. '06, Hit the Road Sept. '07
JudyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #10
rotaxman

Awning

Red Ram

I found out to late about the Colorado Carefree's or I would have ordered mine without any slide toppers and installed Colorado's

These worthless A&E's bang and whip in wind and hold water dealer said I could not wrap them any tighter because they would pull the rail off of the trailer. I'm not sure I believe that but it could be possible given DT's poor engineering and the assembly lines lack of any pride in their work.

My next trailer will not have any Dometic products on it if I have anything to say about it.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
rdunk

Jerry, it seems to me that most on this thread are talking about a regular manually operated awning for the dining/living slide. I optioned for this awning, when we ordered. Had I to do it over again, I would not buy it, and rather, I would have individual window awnings installed. Individual awnings over the dining table window, and over the door side living room window, look nice, and for me would be much more functional/useful than is the big slide awning. The window awnings seem to withstand the wind much better than the big awnings, because of the way they are installed, and supported.

Friends of ours had them installed on their TK3 in the Rio Grande Valley this past winter, and I thought they looked nice

JMHO!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
rverdlm

I've had window awnings and I now have an awning on my slide. There are advantages to both. As Robert says the window awning will handle wind better mostly because they are smaller. The bigger awning on the slide gives you more shade and a place to sit when sunny or raining. I had mine installed in the Rio Grande Valley by a vendor at the DonWest Flea Market. The cost was about half the CW cost and he came to my site to install it. If you're going to be in the valley over the winter I recommend you go there and talk to them. There are 2 vendors, one for each brand, so you have your choice.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:03 AM   #13
Motor31

We ordered ours with 2 awnings on the curbside. The "automatic" awning over the forward part of the trailer and manual style over the dining room slide. I heartily recommend the second slide awning if you do any hot weather camping. The difference is very noticeable when the awning is set up. I kinda wish I had an awning on the street side at times when that side is facing the West.

The "automatic" awning is now just an electrically operated one. The control retracts it as soon as the temperature goes over 85 degrees in a no wind situation.

Side note. On the "automatic" awning make sure you keep the arms clear of debris and lube the gas rod shafts with some silicone spray. They will bind up and stop the operation of the awning if you don't.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
RonS

Thanks to all for the info. Will check with the vendors at DonWest when we get to the valley this winter.
One last question for the RVers who have the rear window pull down sun screen, is it always dirty from traveling?
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
luv2cruise

RonS,

We have the pull down sun screen and put it up when traveling. Haven't noticed any "dirt" on the screen. We also installed two set of hooks for the screen when in the down positon. That way we can cover the whole window when we have the a/c on or if we want natures air, we hook it just above the crank out windows. Works great!
2004 36TK3 Mobile Suites #0752
https://deanandjanice.blogspot.com
SKP # 89736
luv2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
jdwilson3

rear window shade

Ron, the rear window shade must be rolled up when traveling.

Yes it gets dirty, but mostly from dust while sitting. The fabric can be washed and comes out pretty white after using regular Car Wash soap. We had ours for 3 full years and it stayed presentable and serviceable.