Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
greg veverka

Pre-Newbe........

Pre- Newbe,

Hello and thank you for responding. My wife 47 and I 52 after downsizing for several years are ready to purchase our first RV. We have no children, 2 dogs and enjoy nothing more than very simple pleasures in life. We first thought about purchasing a motor home but we do not like to drive and would like to park our "home" for months or years in one location, we will be fulltimers. We like the idea that we can move if we do not like the rv park or neighbors. Living in a small space is no problem, we have that aspect all figured out and are ready. I have done months of research and found DRV to be one of the best options for us? My first love was an Airstream but the interior living situation was more for short camping trips than "fulltimers". What I am concerned about as a full time 5th wheel owner is the change over from a traditional home to rv. Toliets, black water tank, showers/laundry with a 12 gallon tank, the refrigerator and all the little things when in a stick built home we never give a thought about? We will have no cold weather issues but heat as we plan to stay in the SW or SE USA. Can you give me some wise insight on why first I we should buy a DRV ( we planned on buying the Elite model ) and what we should expect...not expect and enjoy? I have read some concerns about quality control on the line is thsi at all an issue?

Greg & Marcia VeVerka Phoenix Az

greg veverka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
5thwheeler

A Place you might consider for info

Greg & Marcia

There will be a good sized Suites Rally in Lake Havasu City in January 2011. Last year there were over 30. Perhaps you could drive up one of the days and talk to some of the attendees. The Rally is hosted by Sunshine RV (Bob Jobe). If you have you rig by then, you could join us for the whole Rally!

We stay at a park in Casa Grande (Palm Creek). There are about a dozen "Suites" in the park by December. I'm sure any of us would be more than happy to talk to you,

Take care

Rally Info: http://www.suitesowners.com/calendar...keHavasu.shtml

Dealership: http://www.sunshinerv.com/

Park: http://www.palmcreekgolf.com/

5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
greg veverka

Thank you for the information on the rally. I just happen to notice today on the DRV blog that there is some mention of a custom line being developed?
I have been going over the floor plans figuring ways to place my big screen TV and a high end AV system along with upgraded furniture. I did enquire about ordering the unit with no carpet but was told that would be impossible due to the slides but could have the carpet cut back. I personally think even a high quality laminate would look 100% better. It would be nice and maybe I have not seen them as of yet for members to post pictures of their custom upgrades!!
Again, thank you so much for the information.

Greg
Old 08-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
morscuba

Go a page back on the site..The topic Laminate Floors that was written by KeithandPenny has Pic's of the floor he just put in....It is very cool and the factory really ought to take a look and make it an option..
For your decision.. I've had a 5th for 6 years now MS for 2. I still sometime I wish I would have gone with motorhome sometimes. Not that I ever get really unhappy with the 5er..Each has its own special advantages and dis advantages.
Good Luck
Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
morscuba

Meant to add If your looking for a tow vehicle there is a place in Phoenix called Mountain Master. They specialize in custom Freightliner tow vehicles,,but the have several really good used units. Jerry and Todd are great guys to work with.
http://www.mountainmaster.net/home.html
Again good luck with your choice.
Sam
Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Motor31

If you have really deep pockets Mountain Masters is a good place to look. There are other options other than that make and model for MDT's. I suggest you go to the escapees RV club forum and take a look at not only the MDT forum but the HDT forum.

As far as the black tank / grey tank issues are concerned it's not all that hard. There are almost always folks in a RV park that are willing to help educate a newbie on how to use the RV. All you have to do is ask while talking to some folks. RV'ers are usually very friendly and easy to talk to. We were ALL newbies at one time. If you don't know the answer, ask and you will be amazed at how helpful other folks can be.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
The View 5046

Gregg Delaine and I will be in Fiesta Grande, in Casa Grande in Dec thru Feb 2001. You are welcome to come and look at our 2010 Mobile Suites RSSB 4 we have been in the Suites a little over a year. And are now in Little Rock working our way back to our home base in Tennessee in Sept. We are going to Arizona this winter to support Arizona in some small way. We were in Casa Grande in 2007. Let us know when or if you can come by. GBY...

P.S. Delaine showed the Suites yesterday, the guy said he wanted to order. And I told him I agree then you get what you want. Drv will do many different things we had 17 mods done on our Suites. Things from three different floor plans.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
greg veverka

Thank you all for the great postings depending on our work schedules we hope to meet all of you and followup on your great advice.
DRV from your comments makes a very good product but needs a few tweaks and some custom touches. I guess the factory can only do so much and it is up to the imagination of the owner to make thier DRV one of a kind.
From all your posts both my wife and I have seen our new life fulltiming in our DRV is only part of the experience and making new friends who enjoy the same lifestyle will be an even greater benefit.

Thank you,

Greg & Marcia
Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
morscuba

[quote="Motor31"]If you have really deep pockets Mountain Masters is a good place to look. There are other options other than that make and model for MDT's. I suggest you go to the escapees RV club forum and take a look at not only the MDT forum but the HDT forum.

LOL Never thought of myself as having deep pockets..I got into a brand new FL with everything I needed for less than 95K..The same Custom Chassis from FL was over 130K. But Mike is right you can find a cheaper tow vehicle. In fact when I was shopping the only FL I found cheaper was a guy out of Nashville but didn't have my motorcycle loader or the storage bins. Again good luck..
Old 08-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Gemstone

"figuring ways to place my big screen TV "....remember, in order to get the full benefit of a large screen TV, you need to sit some distance from the screen...there is only so much room in an RV. Some of us have squeezed in 37 to 40 inch flat panel TV's...not sure what size the factory is installing these days. If DRV is interested in selling rigs, they should be willing to work with your requirements...including the placement of flooring instead of carpet, the deletion of any piece of "normal" furniture/hardware item you deem "unwanted". If they don't work with you, find another manufacturer who will.

Greg...if you do end up with an Elite Suites, be advised, they are heavy...I found ours too heavy for a 1 ton truck.

and speaking of trucks.....

Yeah, whew...if I would have paid $95K for my big truck, I would have considered myself with having extremely deep pockets....I could have bought 5 used big trucks for that amount...up-fitted, ready to roll, 3 big trucks easy....but we're not talking trucks here. :lol:

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
morscuba

LOL!!! Gemstone,,, 5 trucks.. wow those must been from when you were driving for the Flintstones!!! My legs get to tired....
Old 08-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Motor31

95k is about 3 times what I paid for my HDT in 04 and I bought it from a dealer. It's also way more than I spent on my brand new Mobile Suites that I custom ordered in 05.

I looked at MDT's but could not afford to buy the truck and an RV. Even the used prices were about double what I paid for the HDT. Fulltiming in the truck didn't seem like a good idea. Like I said, deep pockets. They are OK trucks, same as HDT's they do the job but IMO they are way overpriced, especially in the used market.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
john

$$$$

I got my MS and truck for less than $95,000. New MS, used truck
Old 08-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
morscuba

So we don't get into a long "Stupid" discussion on how I paid too much for my truck.. My point to the poster is they live in Phoenix, MM is in Phoenix and they could go by and take a look Todd and Jerry will talk trucks and never try to sell you anything. MM also will customize HDT's MDT's and regular old Pick ups. I got what I wanted along with a 5 year 500k warranty..If anyone was offended by anything I said sorry about that. I was just shooting for a bit of humor..Not trying to get anyone's panties bunched up..
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
greg veverka

Guys/Ladies...

Our plan...back to the original poster, LOLOL was to buy the DRV ES and have it moved to the RV park of our choice. We have no plans to buy any vehicle to pull it at this point. Part of the reason we thought about an ES is put the money in the 5th wheel and just pay a company to move it if we wish. If we were going to be traveling all over we would go with a Motor Coach. We still work full time so this is the best of both worlds, full time RVing in our 5th wheel and working. The only snag I see in this situation is the reliability of "all" 5th wheels ( motor coaches also, ok the industry ), when your new and you read through the posts it can be frightening at all the problems you guys have had with your rigs and to me it seems to be a quality control issue and poor quality parts.
Screws not put in correct, stripped, referator problems that seem to never end...bad product in my book and labor. I would rather pay 10k extra and I do not have deep pockets than worry what little piss ass thing is going to go next because the factory could save a buck. Sorry but as a pre-newbe ( prior to order ) I cannot imagine paying over 100k for problems. From what I have been able to read the entire industry is run on upmanship, setting the bar. All floor plans are basically the same, DRV goes on and on about R ratings, Carriage has been around X years and they all offer as I see it alot of promises. I would rather see a 150k 5th wheel all high end that works, I may not be able to afford it but at least someone is willing to put one out there that is not perfect but they took the time to make it the best they could. Made in America at one point did stand for something, well in my generation at least.
I am just puzzeled with an RV at six figures and some owner sticking rags in the slides to keep out the cold...mmm.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
morscuba

Greg...You are absolutely correct..We got way off track..I love my Suite,,I have had very few problems..Some of the folks that are on this site are not happy with there units. There is another site called suite owners club that is another good source of information. The best 5th wheel is an outfit called New Horizions http://www.horizonsrv.com/..If you get a chance go there and take a look. They are pretty pricey but IMO one of if not the best built units I've ever seen.. They are located in Junction City Kansas. The Suite Owners website is http://www.suitesowners.com/.
There are more cheerleaders on the other site. Motor31 and Gemstone are very knowledgable guys so they can give you their insite also.
Again good luck.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
Gemstone

"I am just puzzeled with an RV at six figures and some owner sticking rags in the slides to keep out the cold...mmm.".....

it was only 5 figures, and I use foam rubber...better'n rags.

Your point is well taken...most of us have found defects with our rigs....stupid stuff like the screws, like mis-wired entertainment components. hose clamps not tightened, heating duct work with no screws holding it in place....chances are that it's the same stunts that you'll find industry wide, with the exception of the New Horizons brand. I can't comment on the newer DRV's and how many issues the owners have had, but I know that our rig, manufactured when they had no QC department, had many issues that caused me to wonder about what we got for the money we spent. I will say that once we finished the job of building the rig (completing what the installers left undone), and fixing what the factory screwed up, the rig has been a joy to own and pull down the road. You'll find one of the best "R" factors, some of the best running gear, and some of the best cabinets used in the DRV product. Maybe by now they've found another supplier to replace the cheap faucets and kitchen sink....

Your best bet would be to camp out at the factory while your rig is being assembled....you be the QC supervisor...after all, it's your 6 figures.

Good Luck in your search...you have the right attitude

Flintstones huh....I resemble that remark...but it still only cost me $20K !

Regards
Gemstone
Old 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
greg veverka

Thank you....I am going to check out New Horizions like right now!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been on these fourms before when I was a member of a Triumph motorcycle club and 90% of the posts were guys writing in about problems, I never had any so I always wondered.
I have always been the type of guy who seeks the absolute best and then buys the best I can afford not what is the best deal.
My father in law has owned a motor coach for 18 years and when he put his "punch list" together he had 68 items needing attention....he is an engineer!
I will say when I spoke to the ES company rep he was very nice, knowledgable but when I questioned why they were charging over 7k for an entertainment system they bought for less than 3k he said well those are the retail prices!!
In the information world we live in I think there is room for honesty, quality and you can still make a good buck. I am not sure which manufacture it is but they have factory direct pricing and I have to admire their sales approach. My favortie line so far in this experience has been..from a company rep, " The 2011 models are totally different, so much better built"....My God I feel so sorry for all those people who bought 2010 models...ouch.
Off to look at those Horizions.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
terry and jo

Greg,

I have to agree with you on the fact that forums tend to draw a LOT of the negative stories about whatever product it is that the forum is about. I've seen the same, whether it be RV's, trucks, or camera equipment.

Now, having said that, one other question should be asked of the owners of "said products" (in this case DRV products). That question would be whether said "poster with a problem" would trade to a different RV. So far, I've not heard that question asked very much, on any forum.

If you spend a fair bit of time on this forum and SOITC (Suites Owners International Travel Club) forum, you will hear a lot about people trading up to the DRV products or buying another one.

There is an old saying, "Even Rolls Royce has a service department."

Terry
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #20
Gemstone

I, for one, would look at New Horizons for our next rig...whether we need a new rig, or can afford a NH, is a different story, but my belief is that they are the current top dog in the 5th wheel arena.

As for the negative comments on the forum....I believe there is a fair mix of comments. Negative comments show the opposite side of what a shopper hears at the dealers lot, and presents a side that the shopper will not hear anywhere else. They inform the shopper of potential defects, and what to look out for. We all know how easy it is to be swayed by the glitz and shine of a brand new rig, and a fast talking salesperson. I find it empowering to know where to look for potential problem areas...and where else would I get this information, than from someone who has had the negative experience and blows the whistle ? I find as an informed consumer, I can make better decisions.

Regards
Gemstone