Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Motor31

Microwave oven light

For those who have not had this item go out yet I figured I'd post about the bulb in my unit. In this case it's the interior light rather than the exterior or bottom light.

I have the GE space maker microwave and convection oven model JVM1490BH. There are two lights in the unit, one for inside and the bottom counter light. Both bulbs are the same. They are available from Leows and I assume from other hardware stores as well. The Leows bulb is a Bright Effects #27217 20 watt halogen with 2 straight (bayonet) prongs. The bulb does not rotate to lock in place, it's just a friction fit. I got them for $4.98 each. I got two so I have a spare handy.

Before you do anything, unplug the oven!

The interior bulb is a minor pita to change out. You have to remove the wood trim above the oven held in place by 2 screws. Then you have to remove the vented top trim from the oven. It is also held by 2 screws in the top of the oven. You'll need a short philips screw driver for that. The screws are the forward most 2 screws in the unit. The trim will then pivot forward and out as the bottom is held by a couple of hooks.

Look to a small grayish plastic vent in front of the unit. This may have a small screw in front or be held in place on the right side by a small tab. Mine had a tab that you light the right side past. The vent is held in place by a screw on the back side. Just loosen it and pivot the vent out of the way to the left. You'll need a really short phillips screw driver for that and the rest of the job.

There is a small shiny cover held in place by a couple screws right behind that plastic vent. Remove the screws and the cover will slide to the right to come out. It covers the light assembly. Inside a small opening you will see a pair of white wires going inside of another cover. Those are the bulb power leads. That small cover is held in place by a tab on the right side and a hooked ridge on the left. You have to squeeze the light shield / reflector to the left to unlatch it them pivot the thing up and right to take it out. The bulb will be attached to it. the bulb is a tight (very damn tight) friction fit and may have a small dab of some kind of adhesive on it. At least mine did. Just pull it straight out.

Take the new bub, holding it in a piece of paper towel and insert it in place. DO NOT TOUCH THE NEW BULB WITH YOUR BARE HANDS OR ANYTHING DIRTY, IT WILL DRASTICALLY SHORTEN THE LIFE OF THE BULB.

Assemble the unit in reverse order. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes or so once you've done it before and it sounds harder than it is. It does help to have small hands when doing the job especially in getting the bulb holder in and out of the space it's in. Beware of sharp edges in the sheet metal in that area.

The bottom or counter light is simple. Remove the single screw holding the light lens. The lens will pivot down. Remove the bulb from the holder and replace.

Again they are both the same bulb. GE only has their part number on their site and tech center, so no help there for the bulb model.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Nice post Mike.

I'm sure it will help someone who hasn't had the privilege of changing one out yet. lol

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-G8-44mm-JCD...3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is a great deal on those bulbs with free shipping. I went for it with no problems at all.....
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
RonS

Thanks for the info, is this the same way to get at the top filter so that it can be changed and where can a new replacement be purchased?
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Motor31

That is the route to the filter but my model vents to the outside so I don't have any idea about replacements. You can probably find them on the GE website or call around to the appliance stores. If you take it out you might be able to match it at a hardware store too.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
2blackdogs

My inside light bulb went out after a couple months and I had GE send their tech out to replace it because I had no idea where in the heck it was.
I watched the tech with a eagle eye so I could do it next time when it's out of warranty.
Bob
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
jdwilson3

And, you can get the replacement bulbs at WalMart. I had this issue in the past and when it burnt out again, I picked up two at WalMart .
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
RonS

Motor31- Mine also vents to the outside, but I think their is another filter on the top, behind the lovered cover.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Motor31

Ron,

I looked around inside there when I had it apart and didn't see any filter. I did look over the installation guide for the unit. It had a portion of the guide dedicated to using a non vented installation. In that case they moved the main fan position to blow forward and installed the optional filter on top by the grill. That may be what you are thinking about.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Thumper

GE Microwave/Convection Spacemaker - Oven light replacement

Hey, Mike -

Just wanted to thank you for posting instructions on replacing the interior halogen light bulb in our GE Spacemaker Micro/Convect oven. We bought our 5th wheel over a year ago & the light had not worked from day 1. I found your advice after Google-ing the GE model number & "bulb replacement". I read the instructions to Jerry while he did the work. It took us about 20 minutes, but we got it done! We found the light bulb at Lowe's. They no longer carry the brand you'd mentioned, but were able to find us the right one: FEIT Electric G8.6 Halogen

Now I can finally see what I'm cooking.

:)