Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
hmwilbur

wheels

Will Chevy 3/4 and 1 Ton pickup wheels fit Mobile Suites Axles?

hmwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Motor31

No way to tell. Not every chevy of that type uses the same wheels themselves. Second thing is to find out if those wheels are rated for the weight and air pressure the trailer weight will need for each tire / wheel.

I seriously doubt that the light weight truck wheels used on the trucks are suitable for the heavy weight of the trailers.

What axles do you have on your trailer, 7,000 lb or 8,000 lb? Not all mobile suites have the same axles either.

You might call the factory and see if you can find out the make / model of wheel they use for your trailer and buy a properly rated wheel for the axle.

A second option is to call Dexter and ask them since they make the axles. You'll need the serial number from the axles for them to give you the answer. The serial number should be either stamped on or listed on a sticker on the axles themselves.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

trailer wheels

Even if they were to fit the bolt pattern, there may be an offset problem--placing the tire too close to the frame or slide housing. The 16" wheels/tires I took off my '05TK3 appear to measure 8 hole x 16.5" centers, if this helps you any. I don't think there are any 3/4 ton wheels that are 8 hole, only 1 ton.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
billr

Re: wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwilbur
Will Chevy 3/4 and 1 Ton pickup wheels fit Mobile Suites Axles?
Not sure exactly what your after here, suspect you are considering using your truck spare for the trailer or replacing the trailer wheels with some custom pickup wheels?

Like Mike said, capacity will be key. You would be best to stick with the specified wheel for the wt.

As far as fit, the HD 2500 pickups will have 8 lug wheels, but the bolt pattern may not be exactly correct. Also you need to know if your trailer wheels are hub or stud centric. If the trailer lug nuts are cupped to center then it is stud centric, if they are flat then it is hub centric. Also the wheel set back.

Take your trailer wheel to a tire shop and have it measured and check the specs. Like posted, contact Dexter to see what options you may have. They will know exactly what wheel spec is needed for your specific axle.

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
hmwilbur

Wheels

Thank you for all of the input regarding interchanging truck and MS wheels. You have each bought up some important points. I should have mentioned that we carry a spare for both the truck and trailer and we were just curious to know if that we had a flat tire while in Alaska this summer that we would still have a spare until we could have the flat repaired. We do not carry a spare for our goose neck livestock trailer as we know that the truck spare will fit it. Thanks again.
hmwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

wheels

To clarify just a little on the '05 models (at least, on mine)--I changed out the 16" to 17.5" wheels/tires. The hubs are lug-centric on my trailer, and as I mentioned above, the bolt pattern is 8 x 6.5" center-center of opposite lugs, and I think the offset is near neutral (0). I was incorrect above on 3/4ton trucks having 6 bolts--I guess the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have 8 bolts, and the 450s have 10 bolts. So, if you have 16" wheels on both truck and trailer, all you have to do is take one truck wheel and see if it fits and clears on the trailer. For your purposes of just having another spare for the trailer, if it fits the lugs and clears the trailer, then it should work to get you to a repair facility.
Don't know where you are located, but if you need 16" spares, I have four good ones.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
billr

Have not been on the Alaska trip ourselves, but have read that like your are thinking, having a couple spare wheels/tires for trailer and TV is a real good idea, also a couple of spare leaf springs for the trailer.

Have fun planning your trip!
Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote