Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #1
bagpipes6

Elite Suite vs Newmar Kountry Aire 2008

Looking for some advice from those that really know the ins and outs of various brand 5th wheels.
I'm looking for a top of the line 5th wheel loaded with all the extras, fiberglass roof,etc. and comforts of home. Highest quality and floorplan are my priorities. For my wife and I, Doubletree 38RL3 is the best floorplan that we have seen and experienced. I have research and research to find peoples experiences, positives and negatives on the Elite series. Every brand has its problems but I can only gather that Doubletree is only OK in total - not the worst but in the upper end. I talked to one fulltimer with a 2006 Mobile that was having problems with water leaks, had to have one axle replaced, had problems with the dometic brands, and had to have the slides repaired as you could see light coming through on the bottom of the slides when extended.
Newmar Kountry Aire has a reputation of extreme high quality and has just backed that up on the 2008 models with a 5 year structural and 2 year everything else warranty. They just don't have "my" ideal floorplan. So, what's the concensus. IS Elite just as good or better?? I know everyone has a personal opinion but along with that I am looking for technical comparisons to back it up.
Happy RVing and have a good summer.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
igotjam

In my short experience (fulltiming 1 month, Elite owner for 2) the one piece of advice I would give you is..pick a good dealer first and then select your rig. I will leave others to advise you on brands...from my experience the dealer is most important because your rig will have problems no matter what kind you get.

igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
igotjam

I\double post
igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Motor31

As a MS owner for almost 2 years I am seeing the end of the warranty period fast approaching and not liking it. The fact that DT has dropped the 2 year warranty is not a good indicator to me in the confidence they have in their product. My experience with the line is not the greatest but likely not quite the worst either with the quality of construction and the repairs I've had to make with the unit.

Another consideration is the weight of the unit and how much CCC each has. The MS lineup is rather heavy and IMO has a lower CCC than it should have for a full time unit. Putting things like granite in the interior is nice but it adds a lot of weight for little added value or benefit.

The bottom line to me is this. The floor plan is nice and like you, I find it's very easy to like. I would rather have had a livable floor plan that didn't need so many repairs or have so many failures in retrospect. If the Kountry Aire has a floor plan you can deal with and the warranty you indicate, I'd go with them all other things being equal. If the floor plan is really something you must have, your decision is really made.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
hitchup

I don't read the changes in warranty as bad. They just read differently. Is the 2005 bumper to bumper at 2 years?

Below it what I posted on another thread:

2007: DoubleTree RV, LLC warrants the product(s) that it manufactures for one (1) year from the date of original purchase or the date first placed in service, whichever occurs first. DoubleTree RV LLC offers additional warranty coverage on certain parts and components, up to three (3) years. The specific coverage list for these extended warranty items are as follows:

Warranted for two (2) years: Appliances (Direct), Satellite, Generator, Transfer Switch, Holding Tanks, and Water Pump.

Warranted for three (3) years: Air Conditioner (parts only), Hydraulics, Roof Mat, Pin Box, Windows (Except Glass), Axles, Frame, Brakes (Other than Pads), Roof, Floor, Bearings, Springs, Structure, Walls, Trailair, Equaflex, Front and Rear Caps, Dometic Appliances, and Wheel Structure.

__________________________________________________ ____________

For some reason, the factory sent us a 2007 copy. I also have the 2006 warranty, which is for 24 months of normal use. But applicance warranties are warranted directly by respective manufacturer. Both years are NOT transferable.
hitchup #2509
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
rverdlm

First off, my experience with DT has been very positive. All units from all manufacturers can have problems. Most of the problems I read about are component problems that must be addressed by the component manufacturers. Since all manufacturers use the same components these issues are independent of the unit manufacturer. If you are going to be full time and living in the unit, the floor-plan is very important. After 2 years living in my 38RL3 I have no regrets. We still love this trailer. When we went full-time 11 years ago we liked our trailer, but after a year we started looking for a better floor plan. We finally found a floor plan we liked better and bought it. It was similar to the 38RL3, but it was not as high in quality. After 4 years we decided we wanted more quality. The MS has filled that bill. We expect to have this trailer for a long time. I agree about the comment to get a good dealer. Even when traveling a good dealer can help you. I've been very happy with Walnut Ridge RV in New Castle, IN. I also would recommend that you get the best under carriage possible under any unit you buy. I like MorRyde IS suspension and I wouldn't buy any unit without disc brakes.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
2 DA WDS

I second igotjam, a good dealer goes a long way.

When we got ready to buy the Kountry Star LKSA had the best floorplan in my opinion and the Mobile Suites RE3 had the best in my DW opinion. The RE3 won out because of its storage first and then the insulation and house feeling.

I have not had any problems with my unit that was Doubletrees fault. I have had trouble with Lippert hydraulics, Tredit tire for wheels and Dometic fridge, john & awning. These are items you could get on about any brand 5er.

Our favorite dealer did not carry either brand so we bought from another dealer 175 miles away. Good dealer to work with but the distance was a problem. That RE3 was destroyed in a fire (the only thing turned on was the Dometic fridge) and we have replaced it with another RE3. Now that we are out of warranty with that one we will take it to our favorite dealer for any repairs.

As far as weight yes MS are heavy but as I recall the Kountry Star had 8 wheels so it must have weighed a good bit too.

Hope this helps.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #8
WildJohn

I am suprised not to hear any comment about TETON homes. they have a floorplan exactly like our 38RL3. They are in another price range but quite impressive.. I will stick with our rig.. We love it after the first year full time. Are they heavy... hadn't noticed... LOL... Installed a backup camera to be sure it is still back there.
gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Texas 250

We had a Kountry Star and sold it to purchase a Mobile Suites RS3. As far as both coaches, both have pluses and minuses. We do like our Mobile Suite better than the Kountry Star because of the updated interior. If you want some help in comparisons, call our dealer, Robert White at East Texas RV 1-800-427-4032. He handles both Newmar and Double Tree and you can compare apples to apples. Tell him that Jeff Purtle sent you.

2007 RS3 3128
Texas 250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Texas 250

We had a Kountry Star and sold it to purchase a Mobile Suites RS3. As far as both coaches, both have pluses and minuses. We do like our Mobile Suite better than the Kountry Star because of the updated interior. If you want some help in comparisons, call our dealer, Robert White at East Texas RV 1-800-427-4032. He handles both Newmar and Double Tree and you can compare apples to apples. Tell him that Jeff Purtle sent you.

2007 RS3 3128

Texas 250 is offline   Reply With Quote