Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
SuiteCook

Driving north on the Pacific Coast

Tomorrow is the first day of March. We are presently in Los Angeles California and will be heading north soon with a plan to be in British Columbia by April 1st so we have almost 5 weeks to make the trip. Looking at the map there are three ways to go. Highway 5 would be the flattest and quickest but we want to see the sites along the way. The other choices are 1 and 101. My question is - are there any portions of these highways that we should avoid when pulling our 37 foot Mobile Suite with our F450 truck? Also, any advice on what to see along the way?
Thanks and Happy Camping

SuiteCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
martin redman

Oregon Coast

The campsites are great, some of the best State parks I have ever seen. Stay on 101. Any of the towns are interesting, Newport is good for food, try the Saffron Salmon, down on the water front under the bridge. Fort Stephens State Park and just in Washington is Cape Dissappointment State Park. Wild beaches and the Columbia Bar. Fresh fish in Illwaco. Stay on 101 all the way up the coast, beautifull and wild.

Bentley and Morgan, Terrier mix brothers.
martin redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
SuiteCook

Thanks for the advice re the west coast. We had a wonderful time in San Francisco. Bought a 3 day Go San Francisco card and saw many sights for not too much money.
The 101 highway has been great so far. Currently we are in a fabulous Thousand Trails park named the Russian River Preserve (near Cloverdale). It is very similar to state parks with lots of forest in between sites and great wildlife. We are leaving tommorrow and should be in Oregon by Tuesday where we expect to see more of the ocean from the 101.
SuiteCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
martin redman

101 Oregon Coast

Cresent City, the last little town on the coast in California is worth a visit, as is Brookings in Oregon. Harris Beach State Park is North of town and isolated from the town. It is absolutely beautiful. The beach is probably the best I have ever seen.
You will never be short of sites to camp at, especially at this time of the year, and there are lots of them on the coast road.
Bets of luck on your trip, I am jealous. Stuck at my desk, like now.
Martin
Old 03-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
martin redman

Cape Dissappointment

If you get the chance, watch the Coast Guard prctice on the Columbia Bar from the south lighthouse, right there in the park. The Lewis Clarke Interpretive Centre is amazing too. Fresh fish on the Illwaco docks.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
kelly

Your trip sounds fantastic and beautiful! I'm thinking about taking a trip along the Pacific coast. The idea of 101 has inspired me. :)
Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
martin redman

What I did find when we did our trip, you have to be prepared to keep stopping, as the view points are spectacular.
When in Newport, park up and treat yourself to lunch at the Safron Salmon, a small but very desireable cafe down by the water front, near the coast guard station. The fish soup is 'WOW'.
State Parks are many, the webb site is easy to use, plan the trip, book early. Get your walking shoes out, and be prepared to enjoy solitude on the beach. If you don't have a dog, rent one.
If you get to Illwaco, WA., go down to the dock area, there is a fish store there, big pots with shrimp and crab cooking, and the tuna is fresh, so fresh it will swim back to your car for you.
Astoria, a great place to walk the shop fronts, nice marine museum, a viewing tower on the hill, and one hell of a bridge accross the Columbia.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
Red Fox

looking for best route

Traveling from Yuma to Seattle next spring (have April 15 - June 15 to get to Seattle) with our F350 and 38RL Elite Suites. Concerned about highway conditions, grades, and altitudes. Expect to pump up the truck with a Banks tuner/braking systme to be determined while in Mesa this winter. Would love to take 101 up the coast, but everyone says it's too curvy. Others say the grades going into Oregon on I-5 are pretty bad, too. Any advice, experience will be helpful. Then will be traveling from Seattle to Boise in July, so welcome any comments about that route! Thanks!

Red Fox is offline   Reply With Quote