Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #1
osiebosie

On the Road Internet Access

I've been to the high tech site, but would rather post my question here.

We are getting a new computer! It's for the home and it is a desktop. It will be able to handle wireless high speed. We are also going to be getting a laptop for when we travel.

Here's my question. How do I get high speed for the computer at home and be able to use it on a different computer when traveling? I see that the majority of people use direcway. We have directv service at home. We live in a very rural part of TN, and must have wireless.

Please understand that I am basically computer illiterate and will not understand if you throw alot of numbers and letters at me like 45889mgz and 3001btz speed things. I learned to type on a manual typewriter and used carbon paper and erasers .

Thanks for your help and input. I don't want to rely on salespeople for advice.

Sharon

P.S. DH is even worse than I am. He uses the p&p method for typing.

SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
Motor31

Osiebosie,

I don't know if I can be of assistance to you as I am one of those sales people.

My advise would be to get a direcway internet system installed in your house. Once you have done that you can contact a RV Dway installer (like me or any other one) and get the rest of the mobile system equipment. You can simply take the dish from your house or buy a used dish on e-bay (or something similar) to take with you on your travels. You will need a RV installer as we are the ones with the equipment to take Dway on the road. Direcway main installers only do home installations and can't train you on how to use the system on the road. You'll need to take a dish and the modem with you in the RV for traveling. You can't simply buy another modem to use as they will charge you for 2 accounts in that case.

You can also check out Motosat and Datastorm. They are also good systems but pricey and they are aimed at the RV market and not the home market.

Least expensive way to have internet on the road is to have a wifi card in your computer and hunt down a free "hot spot" and surf using their connection. Some places have free open spots, others like Flying J truck stops charge by the day, month or year for access at their location. You'll have to hunt for the wifi spots and there are a few places on the web to find a listing of them.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
george in azle

I am guessing that you will be taking the occasional trip rather than full-timing.

If that's the case have you considered using a digital cell phone to gain access to the internet when you travel?

I keep a PC in my fifth wheel and also have one mounted full time in my truck and connect one of two ways while on the road:
1. To a Wifi hotspot, whether on the road or at a campground.
2. Using my Sprint digital phone and data cable whether at a campground or while driving down the road.

More times than not, a campground charges rediculous fees for their Wifi access so if I am in a digital cell, I simply plug my cell phone into the USB port via the data cable and surf to my hearts content. My calling plan has free minutes after 7PM weekdays and weekends so it costs nothing during these times. Other times it simply costs me my minutes.

The digital high speed connection is not to be confused with phone "modem" speeds since it bypasses the modem in the PC and is a LOT faster.

There is nothing like driving down the highway and the passenger/copilot is checking email and or surfing the internet with the phone hookup.
george in azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Hobo

I have to concur with both Motor31 and George. I use both as I set my Dway up for more then over night stays and use the cell phone for the so called Wall-Mart nights.

The previous post brings up a couple question.
Motor31 how much would you charge to set up a home unit for mobile use?
George my cell phone set up is not the fastest, Are the speeds your getting with your system faster then 56kbs dial up?

Thanks Rick
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #5
rverdlm

We now use Direcway and find it to be very good. Before that we used Verizon Mobile access. The good thing about Verizon over many of the others is that if you have digital sevice ( Verizon has this over more of the country than anyone else) your internet time is unlimited and does not affect your cell minutes. The down side is it is more expensive than Direcway. We now are using a DSL line because the CG where we are I can't get the DirecWay to work because of trees. The DirecWay is much faster than the DSL we now have. FWIW.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
osiebosie

Thanks for your input. Apparently my thread got moved. That's okay.

I will be doing alot of checking into all of this. Many decisions to make.

Sharon
SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
TheTinkles

We use Direcway. We have a tripod setup, and use it all the time unless we just stop for a night or 2, in which case we use our cellphone for access.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
MDTdriver

Verizon Cell for internet

I got a new phon from Verizon two months ago, (I have been on Verizon cell internet for 3 years) as of april 05 they are droping the data calls on Verizon phone, so now I am looking for Dway for internet while we travel for 8 to 9 months a year. I do not have a house to set up Dway but I have seen them being sold in CG in Ca. and AZ. last year which is were we will be during the winter this year.
If any one has any leads on this idea would you please let me know.
I am on RV Net forum and Escapees MDT forum also.
Larry & Kathy
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I timed myself in putting up and taking down our direcway tripod system from Dustyfoot. It is a 10 minute set up, string the wires and all. Tear down is almost exactly the same. I used to say, I didn't fuss with the setup when we were stopped for just 1 night, but I've changed my mind.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
Motor31

MDTdriver,

Where are ya at this time? There are several installers that are on the boards you mentioned including me.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 08-19-2005, 01:27 AM   #11
MDTdriver

DWAY internet

We are in Appleton Wi. till Sept. 6 then leaving for Ca. we will be there in Riverside Ca. on Oct. 4,05
Appleton is our mailing address only the wife's family does our mailing.
Larry & Kathy
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #12
Motor31

MDTdriver,

Right now I am still in Indiana. I have to go back to the dealer for repairs on our rig on Monday the 22'nd. It was my plan to go to the Appleton area as soon as we were done at the dealer. I like going to the EAA museum and I want to try and find some family in Appleton that I haven't seen in many years.

If you are interested in Dway perhaps we can get together and get you online. Give me a private message and I'll get back to you via either e-mail or phone.

Mike

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"