Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
IgotFISHon

5th Wheel Prep at Dealer Necessary?????

We are newbies... buying a 5th wheel and truck... does the 3500 Dually Chevy need a dealer install 5th wheel prep or can other people do it? We found a good deal on a truck, yet doesn't have that option, and salesman in South Florida didn't know exactly what we need.. I Need Help! Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

IgotFISHon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Notanlines

Brian, if your Chevy didn't come with the puck system already in the bed of your 3500 then it is imperative that you have an RV dealership install what is needed for your hitch of choice. Personally I would have them install the factory puck system (available as after-market) This item is generally not done at Auto dealerships and IS done every day at normal RV dealerships.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

I turned down several new 450s that did not have the puck system from the factory--I would keep looking until I found a 3500 already equipped. Altho, a competent hitch installer can probably make it look factory.
Could not figure WHY Ford would not think someone buying a 450 would not be interested in towing, thus putting a puck system in every new one...
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #4
IgotFISHon

Thanks... That's what I was thinking!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
IgotFISHon

Thank you!
Old 10-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Goober

There is a lot to a towing package. I would not consider a truck that did not have a factory towing package unless the trailer was not anywhere close to the towing weight rating of the truck. The main difference in towing packages is enhanced water, fuel, egr and oil cooling.

Regarding the sales weasel; if he does not know what you need, I would take that as a clue. A clue to run from the place as fast as possible. RV sales weasels, many of which have never towed or spent a single night in an RV for that matter will tell an unsuspecting customer they can tow a fifth wheel trailer with a golf cart. The RV sales weasel is trying to sell a trailer. Some of them will say anything to get you signed. You need to pay VERY CLOSE attention to loading and carrying capacities if you intend to expect to have liability insurance if there is a problem on the road. And remember, there is nothing you can add to a truck that will change its factory designated GCWR capacity.

Happy hunting
Goober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
IgotFISHon

Thank you! Great points.