Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #1
R.G.

Nose Cone discolour 2014 Crusader

Now off warranty and not much luck with Prime Time. Any ways of getting the colour back or does it have to be painted? This was a dark brown colour.

R.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:13 AM   #2
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Is it painted or a decale? If painted has it been cleaned and waxed or left alone?

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #3
R.G.

cone discolour

This is the original Gelcoat and decal is not affected. Waxing improves temp. but discolour returns.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Have you used any type of rubbing compound to bring back the color? I use a product called Flitz, it is an extremely fine cleaner compound and does a great job of not harming the color paint and brings back the hidden color. Then use a cleaner polish or wax to seal up the paint once it is polished. https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-BU-0351...polish+-+paste Read the reviews to see why it is so reccommended.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
R.G.

have a product called SUPER SHINE www,tech-products.com 2 part system which worked at first but problem comes back. It wouldd be nice to put back into the surface what the applier did not put in the beginning which is ??? some say it is a U.V. product that has been omitted and there are lots of theses problems out there some being solved under warranty if lucky and I think they are re-painting at that point. If there are any GEL COAT GURU'S out there please suggest what was causing this OXIDIZING?
Old 08-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
Kim & Karen

Unhappy DRV Caps Color is Gone

The color on the tops of both front and rear caps is completely gone. We had our body shop look at it. Were told that fiberglass is what is now showing. Going to try repainting areas (since we are out of warranty). Will let you know how it turns out.

Got all the bugs out of the inside, now the outside starts!

2014 Tradition 385RSS
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually
Kim & Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #7
Stripit

I wrote this yesterday but failed to send it:
Many years of autobody shop ownership & management has taught me there are good, better and best materials sold to the industry, there is a price point that satisfies most of the consumers. We don't know what quality product was used on your trailer and at what price point the upper management said that is good enough, we can live with that end result. They sometimes think, it will get us beyond the warranty period and that is all we need. Without seeing the issue your having, it is impossible to know if it is product or personnel failure. Was a best material applied by a less than stellar painter, or a fantastic painter using inferior products. Taking short cuts in the preparation or mixing of the paints, hardeners or clears can cause all kinds of problems later in the painted parts life. The finished product can roll out the door looking awesome, but fail miserably months or years later. Stopping at any quality automotive paint supplier with the rig so the manager or paint sales rep can see the actual issue, or quality photos should also suffice, so they can pin point the cause. You and I both have seen much older RV's that look fantastic many years after they were originally painted and then we see newer units like yours that look like the paint has failed or is failing. There is ALWAYS a reason. In many cases bringing back to life an inexpensive paint is difficult if not impossible for any length of time. Hope this give you some help on the way to determine the problem and what it may take to rectify.
1991 Avanti Conv
Old 08-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #8
R.G.

Thanks for that and I will eventually take to a body shop and hope they know what to do as so far Prime Time hasn't stepped up to tell me their version.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 AM   #9
Kim & Karen

Thanks for your input. We agree that several factors could have contributed to the problem. Just would like to fix it so the fifth wheel looks like it is two years old instead of 50!
1 very spoiled chihuahua
Kim & Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
Buckshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim & Karen View Post
The color on the tops of both front and rear caps is completely gone. We had our body shop look at it. Were told that fiberglass is what is now showing. Going to try repainting areas (since we are out of warranty). Will let you know how it turns out.

Got all the bugs out of the inside, now the outside starts!

2014 Tradition 385RSS
2015 Chevy 3500 Dually
I have a 2015 DRV Tradition wit the same problem but I caught it while it was still in warranty. The problem is they skimp on the UV protection that should be added to the paint or at least that is what I have been told by experts.

Same thing with the OP I have a friend with a new Crusader with same issues. He had them repaint his brown caps with white.

Just typical RV quality. All brands.