Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Motor31

Chinese tire recall

I know MS didn't use Chinese tires on the rigs but in case anyone has any other vehicles with Chinese tires here is some info I received from the Escapees about a recall that is expiring this month.

Tire Recall - Westlake , Compass and YKS brands

Back in June, we heard about a proposed massive recall of light truck/SUV tires imported from China . Several major news services carried the story. At the time of the news article, a recall was not yet in progress, but it has been on our “watch list.” After several months without any further news coverage of the issue, I decided to do a follow-up inquiry with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Imagine my surprise to be informed that the recall has been going on since August and has an end date in October!

Here is the response I got from the NHTSA... anyone with these tires on their vehicles should definitely investigate further!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Vehicle Safety Hotline Information Center .

The recall campaign of tires imported by Foreign Tire Sales (FTS) that were fabricated by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. in China will begin on Thursday, August 9, 2007. (NHTSA Recall No. 07T-003) The campaign will replace 255,000 light truck radial tires carrying the Westlake , Compass and YKS brands. Only the following sizes and models are involved. The DOT number on the sidewall of the involved tires will begin with the numbers and letters shown. Only tires within the build date range (shown as the last four numbers in the DOT number) of 0404 (April 2004) through 0206 (February 2006) are involved.

Size Model DOT No.

LT235/75R-15 CR861, CR857 7DT5FTS………..

LT235/85R-16 CR860, CR861, CR857 7DT2FTS………..

LT245/75R-16 CR860, CR861, CR857 7DT3FTS………..

LT265/75R-16 CR860, CR861, CR857 7DT4FTS………..

LT31X10.5 R-15 CR857, CR861 7DT6FTS………..

Owners are advised to visit the FTS web site at www.foreigntire.com or call the FTS recall hotline at (88 899-9293. They will be sent a brief questionnaire to complete to assist them in confirming that their tires are involved. Then they may return to their place of purchase for replacement of the recalled tires, or they may identify a tire dealer by calling the FTS recall hotline.

Recalled tires will be replaced, mounted and balanced at no cost to the owner. However in the event that the fitment of recalled tires is not appropriate for a particular vehicle or a wheel is damaged and unsafe, there may be an incremental charge in the event that the correct fitment tire and wheel is more costly.

Owners must return their recalled tires for replacement before October 25, 2007.

We hope that you find this information helpful. However, if you need additional information on our services please feel free to contact us at 1-888-327-4236.

Thank you,

NHTSA.dot.gov Response Team

Disclaimer: "This response is for information purposes only and does not constitute an official communication of the U.S. Department of Transportation. For an official response, please write U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave, SE, West Building , Washington , DC 20590.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
47hook

Oh yes they did. When we ordered ours this May the dealer had MS's with Chinese tires on them, because GY had a strike going, IIRC. On our order sheet it specified GY and we would not have taken delivery if they weren't GY's.

Why are we suprised that a Communist country doesn't have our best interest at heart?

2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Motor31

FWIW,

I was told that Goodyear has suspended production of their 16" G614 tires because they found a problem in the design helping to hold the tread onto the carcass. As a result there is a shortage of the G614's. I have no idea if they will discontinue them like they did the G159's or just do a redesign.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote