Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Motor31

Goodyear tire information

We had a representative from the Goodyear Tire corporation talk at the HDT rally yesterday. He had some interesting info regarding the G rated 16" G614's.

It seems there is a problem with the design of the belts in it. The fabric belts are not expanding at the same rate as the steel belts and it is causing tread separations. He said Goodyear is aware of the problem and they are trying to work on a new design change to either modify the design of the G614 or to make a new tire entirely. In the mean time do what you can to keep the temperature of the tire as low as you can. Keep the inflation pressure up and slow down a bit.

Because of the problems they are having with the 614's they have stopped production of them. As a result they are in very short supply if you need a replacement

He spent time also talking about the 17.5" tire, the G114 that you get with the larger Mobile Suites. Those tires came about as a commercial tire for use on heavy equipment such as the auxiliary axles on cement trucks and low height commercial trailers hauling equipment. The belt design is almost entirely steel and has a good record in dealing with weight and temperature. It is rated for 62 mph however. He said they know it is towed faster than that and they have not been hearing of problems because of it to his knowledge. He doesn't recommend you tow much faster than 62 however.

Another point he made is that the 17.5" tires are available but through commercial dealers primarily. If you go to an auto tire retailer they are not likely to have any of them or be ready to deal with them. He suggested that you look for a truck tire dealer as they are dealing with the heavier duty tires like these and that they are considered truck grade equipment since the H rating is the same as semi grade tires. There are several truck tire dealers in the Kansas and Nebraska area that have plenty in stock for their commercial customers. He felt the truck tire dealers should have some in their shop as the tire is not uncommon in commercial operations.

The representative also said it is very important that you weigh the load from each tire position. Using a chart from Goodyear, set the pressure according to the heaviest weight found from the scale. Make sure you have the same pressure on both tires for each axle. Do not have higher pressure on one side of an axle than the other.

The rep said if you have the opportunity to change to 17.5" tires do so if you can particularly if you are anywhere near the weight limit for the tires you have.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
Mike
Thank you very that very informative dissertation. Tat is very good information.
Will be interesting to see what they come up with as a replacement.
It is also nice to know that they are acknowledging the problem
publicly.

Ponch

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
anijet

Re: Goodyear tire information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
........The representative also said it is very important that you weigh the load from each tire position. Using a chart from Goodyear, set the pressure..........
Thanks for the information.

Does anyone have or know where to get the tire pressure chart from Goodyear?
anijet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
jdwilson3

Yes, right here: http://www.rvtirepressure.com/assets..._inflation.pdf
Old 10-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
crunch1

I was at Paul Cross's place last week and there were 4 units that came in with damage from blown tires. One had a crack in the rim but could not tell which came first, blown tire or rim crack. Looks like this may be more of a problem than most are aware of.
crunch1
Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
sigo'suite

Good Year is aware, I have no doubt. If you don't believe it, call Customer Service and ask some hard questions and listen to 'em skirt the issue.

I won't go into the details of my conversation here, only so far as to say that my call was to ask if I could get some adjustment on an upgrade to G114's before the G614's failed. The answer was "No"; then I began the hard questions and statements of fact, which I was aware of, as related to other's experiences and failures with the G614's. From that point on it became non-sensical to the point of comical!!!!!!!! Albeit, totally disgusting and wihtout logic.

Having said all of that, I still bought the G114's from Good Year because of their history of accepting accountability for failures in most cases that I am aware of. That and the fact that I do have faith in the fact that the G114's have been much more reliable thusfar.

3 Hail Mary's - 2 Our Father's & fingers crossed!!!!!
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
JPHarris

If you go to this site http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...bprodline=G114
It says the 215/75R 17.5 H Rated tire has a speed rating of 75MPH, I believe that's the tire on Mobile Suites.
The 235/75R 17.5 H Rated tire has a speed rating of 62MPH[/code]
Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
sigo'suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPHarris
If you go to this site http://www.goodyear.com/cfmx/web/tru...bprodline=G114
It says the 215/75R 17.5 H Rated tire has a speed rating of 75MPH, I believe that's the tire on Mobile Suites.
75 MPH max speed is also verified by info given in the link which jdwilson posted. Not that I care to drive that fast, but good to know that we have some cushion in a have to case.
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #9
Hobo

What it amounts to is a silent recall as they did back in the 90s. It was also a problem with the belts then and if you complained you got serviced.

Too bad they wait till your on the side of the road with damage and risking your life changing a flat before they do anything. And how many of us got paid for our inconvenience and fuel cost, plus time to get things back in working order.

Sure they are easy to work with after the fact, they are getting off as cheap as possible.

Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote