Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Wisc-Mike

Front mounted scooter on Dually

I need some advice. We are considering putting a front receiver on the dually so we can bring our Yamaha 125 Zuma with us to Florida this winter.

I would have preferred to double tow with our 10ft. enclosed utility trailer, but I am a little concerned about going through Georgia or Alabama as well as Florida with a double tow. I do not think it is legal there as it is here. Then we could have taken our two kayaks along as well.

Has anyone carried a scooter on the front of their pick up while towing?

Our scooter only weighs 270 lbs (320 with 400lbs capacity carrier) and only the handle bars would be above the hood on the passenger side. The class IV front receiver is rated at 500 lbs tongue weight.

We are planning on leaving in mid December and returning in late March. So I would not think driving in hot weather will be an issue. But I am concerned about airflow to the Diesel cooling system and intercooler.

We would not drive at night if the scooter interferes with the headlights.

Any thoughts or experience shared would be appreciated!

Wisc-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Gemstone

Are you concerned about adding that 320 pounds to the front suspension ? Tie rods, wheel bearings, alignment, etc., and what it will do to handling ?

Regards
Gemstone

Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
billr

Most of these trucks can handle a snow plow with not only the static wt but forces from plowing too. Check your front axle load rating and scale the truck. See what you have room for.

You already mention restricting the rad and headlights. Even though you plan for winter travel, watch out in the south. You could get into warm temps there. Headlights and turn signals can't be blocked at all. Even if you drive in the daytime only. As much as you may try to stay off the road at night, it could happen in some case that you get stuck in dark, dusk or rain driving. You could add aditional lights that are clear of the scooter.

Good luck with your project!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Also, make sure you have the 6,000 lbs. front springs.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
wingnut60
Site Team

Why not have a receiver hitch built onto the Suites and use a carrier on the back of the trailer?
We are going to AK next summer and I plan on having a hitch built by a competent welder that will support maybe 800+ lbs. Will need bracing to keep side/side wobble to a minimum, but it won't cause a double-tow concern.
There are also some commercial-built units that attach to the rear that are actually little trailers, but aren't towed, thus can't run afoul of the double-tow laws.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Joezilla

When we had our F350 dually a couple of years ago, we bought bicycles. Our trailer at the time did not have a rear hitch so I bought a front hitch for the dually. I installed it, put on the bike rack and the bicycles and took it for a spin. I could not get used to the distraction of the handle bars and seats above the hood. I don't know how a scooter would be though. It might not be as much of a distraction. I ended up selling the front hitch and getting a hitch installed on the rear of the trailer. It was an expensive mistake.

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Wisc-Mike

My wife and I set up the scooter carrier just under its installed position and loaded the scooter to check any obstruction with the lights or drivers view.
It will be 3" higher on the new receiver. See attached pictures.

I think it looks very doable. We would remove the windshield, mirrors, front fender and rear cargo carrier for better visibility and eliminate light obstruction. I would also add welded on additional supporting tubes from the sides of the frame hitch to help support the load and prevent rocking or unnecessary movement. Also add more tie downs. I would rather be on the side of overkill than have a problem on the road.

The added weight is well within the truck load limit for the front.

We tried putting this on the back of the factory Mobile Suites receiver but it did not look safe and would be over the 300 lbs tongue weight limit. The hitch could be beefed up, but I do not want to affect the factory warranty.

We plan to put the 2 bike carrier back there, which has worked out very well in about 500 miles of towing so far.

All the thoughts and suggestions have been very helpful! I agree it may be necessary to drive at night when needed and safety is very important.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Wisc-Mike

Success
It took a bit of work and engineering, but the scooter rack worked great.

We added 2 additional side extension arms, a kick stand support for loading, modified the front wheel nest, added rear tie downs, decreased play in the main support bar from receiver and center tie down for long trips.

The results were a trouble free 1,200 mile tow to Florida. I attached some photos while unloading here.

If anyone is interest and wants more specific information, just drop me a note and I will be happy to share any info I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0041_133.jpg (303.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0042_179.jpg (306.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg dscf0044_197.jpg (308.5 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

Looks good.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Gemstone

Nice engineering....where there's a will, there's a way. It does look like a huge air deflector tho', displacing air that would normally hit the radiator.

Regards
Gemstone
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Wisc-Mike

Gemstone,
I was very concerned about airflow to the radiators and intercooler as well. The 1st 900 miles the outside temp never made it above 32 deg so there was little concern. Then we towed from Adel Georgia to Ocala Florida in 70 to 75 deg weather, the temp gauges stayed normal at 65 MPH. I was relieved for sure.

Not sure if the scooter up front cost us any fuel mileage, we averaged 10.8 on every fill up but we had light head winds all the way here. We were getting about 11.0 for our 1st 1,000 miles of towing.

Thanks for the compliments!