Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
TVA

Mobile Suites 3 month experiences - April update

Just an update on our last 2 months of using our MS.
We have had very little problems.
Hopefully the bugs are out.
We stopped at the factory on our way home.
Our couch was replaced, the sagging lights in the entertainment center
were fixed, the trim seam on the nose cap was caulked and new epoxy on counter top to hold it to the island. Our trip to the factory this time was much more pleasant.

1000 miles to get new '09 MS
Dealer knew ahead of time what kind of pickup we were driving,
but didn't have the right equipment to put on the
5th wheel to make the brakes work.
Drove home with no camper brakes.
Door slide breaks on way home
Went to non DRV dealer to be fixed
Next break was off door slide which ripped the linoleum
300 m. to DRV dealer to have fixed
DRV dealer said we'd have to install new linoleum
Going home same slide broke again
Mice/shrews got in somewhere.
Drove 800 m. to Howe
Issues with paint peel on outer door
water leak in fridge
hydraulic leak on level up system
Told linoleum was incompatible with the glue
Better linoleum installed with dif. glue
Gear packs put in each time slide broke
Howe put heavier roller on off door slide
Got home to no electricity in island
Linoleum bubbling up under slide
Howe to contact us on what Lipperts found out
No one called
We called them
Told Lipperts would contact us
No reply from Lipperts
We received disconcerting 5:20 a.m. fax call from DRV
Researched before deciding MS was best choice
Disappointed in performance, service and customer service.
Used our MS only 7 weekends
Questioning our decision.
Update:
Talked to Lippert. They claim that 1 gear pak per unit is all they ever replace. They've never heard of 3 going out. So hopefully things will look up from now
Update: Left home for our trip south for the winter.
On the way down, the demand pump went out.
Callled DRV and they turned it over to Shur-flo.
After 5 days had to call DRV back, hadn't heard anything.
Shur-flo called and sent pump to our desitnation.
2 weeks without demand pump. Had freezing temps. all the way down.
Filled up jugs of water for use at night.
After coming home from Howe, had wiring issues in the island.
DRV had wired wrong after replacing island.
Husband fixed that issue.
Power Management System was also wired wrong.
We were told some units got out of the factory wrong, ours was one of them.
My husband rewired that.
Washing machine hose leaked into basement.
DRV sent new hose to our destination. They had problems with the original hose and sent a different one. My husband installed that.
12 inch ventilation fan in bathroom quit working. Waiting for Shur-flo to get back to us on that.
With all that being said, we went to the Orlando RV super show.
We only looked at a few other brands. I still like my Mobile Suites over most everything we saw.

TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
BobW

Welcome to the club.

2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Jack in Alaska

I am sorry to hear of your troubles with your new MS. We do not belong to the "bad experience club" in dealing with DRV. They have been just great in handling any and all problems we have had with our 2004 MS. A trip to the factory in 2004 was unbelievable. They treated us with a very positive attitude and made warranty repairs and repairs of things I did wrong all for no charge. They have sent parts and pieces to me even after the warranty period was over at no charge. Shipping them to Alaska at no charge. In the several things I paid for the prices were extremely reasonable.

I am a believer in dealing with positive attitudes and a firm hand. I am sure that it will return to you in a positive fashion. Unless DRV has changed their basic business methods I would look inward to see if you are being fair and reasonable with them. Nothing is perfect out the door.

Enjoy your new MS. We surely do enjoy ours and it is getting old.

Start Out Each Day Real Easy.......Then Taper Off
Jack in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Gillesm

Like all other makes problems is link to lipert the frame are becoming lighter every years,why can they all do like Cariage and make their own ,so they can have a good products.I think that Lippert are becoming the Rvers problems for all the make they are furnishing the frames.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
dalehandsome

We are about to order our first MS. After reading this, and other posts, we are becoming quite concerned. I have spent the past two weeks extensively reading posts, on this and others sites, and there appear to be a lot of people having lots of different problems with DRV units. What bothers me most are the occasional comments that you should expect to have some problems with new units. Even during our factory tour in September, our representative said that ‘there is no such thing as a perfect unit’. My question is, WHY NOT!! I expect any top of the line item that I purchase to perform perfectly. That is why I am willing to pay more for the best. Of course there are occasional problems; however, these should be the rare exception and not the norm or the expected. DRV should be getting the problems worked out of their units before delivery and not relying on the owners to find them.
We are also going to order from a dealer far away from where we live saving us several thousand dollars. We are doing so under the assumptions that any dealer would work on our unit if there were problems. I have read posts where DRV owners took their units to a dealer, to have warranty or other work done, only to be told that they, the dealer, only work on units that they sell. DRV should have a serious talk with these dealers!!!!
dalehandsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
wingnut60
Site Team

dealer service

Perhaps the reason some dealers are several thousand higher than others is that they expect to spend some of the profit on PDI and after-sale warranty work?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Gemstone

Dale...you ask "‘there is no such thing as a perfect unit’. My question is, WHY NOT!!"

My understanding is that on top of an hourly wage, RV workers are compensated with a bonus plan of so many "units" of production. That is, they get paid a bonus if they keep up the production to a fixed number of units per day or per week. Quality will always take a back seat under this plan. Until production workers are compensated on a zero defect basis, rather than a certain number of units, we can expect to see quality issues....regardless of sticker price.

IMO, warranty reserve (dollars set aside by the manufacturer to cover anticipated, average repair issues) is built into the cost to the dealer, and is not borne by the dealer...therefore one should expect warranty work be performed at any qualified dealership. Additionally, one should also expect to be treated with somewhat of a lesser value to the warranty provider, if the original purchase and profit was taken by another dealer. From my experience (outside of the RV industry), warranty payments by the manufacturer to the dealer are historically slow, which may add to the reluctance of a dealer to perform warranty work on a unit he/she did not sell.

Most of us have had some sort of quality issue handled via warranty...some more than others. But I think most of us can say that regardless of how frustrating these quality issues are to the purchaser, this manufacturer stands behind their product.

Good Luck with your decision.

Gemstone
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
2blackdogs

Gemstone is right on with the production bonus.
Factory is fantastic taking care of problems but
should there be so many with the top of the line ?
It should be near perfect when it rolls out the door.
Bob
Trailer Saver hitch
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST
2blackdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
hitchup

DH is in construction. And we have yet to see a perfect house or building perfect in the 30+ years he's been doing this. Why would an RV be any different.

Some problems are simpler to fix than others. Our 2009 MS is better built than our 2006 ES was. But it's also the design changes that fixed some of the earlier issues.

As for the comment on Carriage. We took the Carriage factory tour first and then the DRV tour. No comparison on quality inside the walls, etc. That's why we chose an MS vs the overpriced Royal's model.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
terry and jo

Jo and I have also looked at the Carriage units. Unfortunately, even though Carriage may build their own frame, that doesn't necessarily translate into a better frame. DRV's frame is 15" of triple-box construction while Carriage's is 12" of double-box construction. Also, the wall construction and materials used that I have been able to see in the Carriage units don't match up to DRV.

I have to agree that one cannot expect perfection. When I used to sell cars, one comment that was frequently made was that even Rolls Royce and Jaquar also had service departments. Meaning that they ALL have problems.
2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
GlennWest

Quality? I wouldn't go that far. Kitchen slide seal is a very poor, cheap design. Like to camp in fishing areas, better sleep with "off". Can't kill all the mosquitoes getting in.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Motor31

Construction quality is one thing. DRV has other issues that are design issues like the notches in the single wiper seals and the use of single wiper seals period when more seals would do the job properly on the slides.

Quite a few of our problems had nothing to do with the frame construction but far more with the construction of what was placed on top of the frame. The numerous issues with stripped / broken screws on the roof and wall trim is a great example of that. Some of those problems I am STILL dealing with over 4 years down the road. Some were issues with items put in place by the factory like the fridge now, that are not their fault other than using the least quality appliances available. IMO dometic is not the top of the line.

This isn't expecting a "perfect unit" but more like expecting value for the $ spent. These things really do not cost the factory that much to put together yet they charge what you can buy a larger stick house for in many areas of the country.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
JAB

MObile sutie problems - quality concerns

We traded in our 2005 mobile suite in April 2009 for our new 38 ft rv
We are full timers and really loved our 2005 and thought an upgrade would be great. Well we have had it for 9 monthes and have had nothing but problems. We had our coach for 3 weeks when one of the clamps from the water line came lose and flooded our under belly.We had to cut the uder belly to get let the water escape and we had to remove all the insulation. The water line had been leaking for a while because the isultation was rusty. DRV sent people down to fix this problem .
Also with in the 1st 2 monthes we had to replace 2 fans in the bathroom and the lp tray. We replaced numerous screws in the slides, and the seal in the bay door. In October - We had to take our rv to a dealer to get the heat duct hose fixed because it had a hole in it from the black tank valve. Also had to have the refrigerator replaced along with a second thermostat installed in the bedroom so the second furnance would run independently,

Now in December DRV picked up our coach and gave us one to live in for a week while they repaired the list of 36 items that was wrong.
We got our coach back and the kitchen slide out still didn't seal - we have
rags stuffed in the end of the slide outs to stop the daylight from coming in
but we can't stop the draft. Our furnance still wasn't working correctly.
These 2 things were suppose to be fixed while they had our coach for a week.
DRV came down to install a new furnance, senor, and thermostat and it still doesn't run correctly. The guys that installed it also saw the daylight coming in from the slide outs.

Drv sent my husband an analog thermostat and told him how to hook it up to see if the would solve our problem of the furnace running, turnin off and the starting right back up. We now have to get in touch with a Dometic dealer so they can come and fix our furnance.

Also we have froze up 5 times - the water line and the grey tank valve
We have the Canadian package with the heat pads on the tanks and the heat tap on the valves. We live in Ohio the weather hasn't been that bad yet. We set our alarms every hour to run the pump so the water wouldn't freeze up. Drv doesn't understand why this is happeniing.

We feel for what we spent on this coach we received a lemon. I consider this a lot of problems for a high dollar coach. We expected a few small problems but nothing like this.

We have sent them other customers and we know of 1 that has purchased a coach. Hopefully they won't have the problems we have had.

Drv is working with us but - no one should have to experience this amount of stress. Our new home is nothing but a hassle - we come home every night and wonder what else is going to go wrong.

Has anyone experienced this many problems - and do we have any recourse?? How many times does a unit have to be worked on before it is concerned a lemon.
What happed to customer satisfation and quality. These 2 things will make or break a company. I think DRV has lost they quaity. We didn't have any problems with our 2005.
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
waldmeer

MS repairs

WOW! Our experience with MS has been just the opposite of what I see from most of the other responses.

We picked up our new 40DB3 MS in Sept. 2009. The worst problem I had was in getting wiring for satellite connections corrected. DRV referred us to a repair facility a few miles from the factory. The repair facility was great. Took a Technician about 30 minutes to correct some connections in the "water/electronics box" Probkem solved. Other than that, only major concern I have had is that the awning seems to have loose fabric and the door will rub on it when awning is extended. Temp solution is to have it retract about 1/2 revolution on the awning.

Only other problem we have had is with light bulbs burning out. So I replaced two bulbs so far.

We purchased our from International RV World in Elkhart. They have been excellent, making a couple of minor repairs before we picked up our MS. VERY GOOD SERVICE - VERY GOOD DEALER!!

We are very happy with our MS. My wife reminds me daily, "Do you know how much I love my new house?"
waldmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Motor31

Waldmeer,

You have no idea how envious I (and the wife too) are about your experiance. I would dearly love to have had that experiance rather than the one we still are having even now.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
retiredchuck

slide ripping the flooring

Wow I can't believe that the slide on the off door rip the flooring.That happen to me when I bought my bran new ck3 back in 2004.They replaced the legs on the slide with rollers.2009 and they are still having this problem.UNBALIVABLE....
retiredchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #17
edt

Send a message via AIM to edt
I bougth a used 2004 36ck3 and can't believe how great factory has been to deal with
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
waldmeer

6 Month Experience

Bought our new 2009 Mobile Suites 40 DB3 in September at International RV World in Elkhart taking posession Sept 3, 2009. Before we left the north we spent a few days in it at the dealer. This gave us an opportunity move all our "STUFF" from our old motorhome to the MS AND to find probems that we found. Problems were dealt with rapidly and completely by the dealer and the manufacturer.

Last week the 32" TV in the living room above the fireplace stopped working. I contacted Samsung directly. They had me do some routines and said, "It needs to be serviced." Well OK then. The closest service center was 600+ miles away in Texas. We are now in Gulf Shores, AL. They also said, after I gave them the model and serial numbers that the TV was out of warranty. At that point I thought I was Sc$#@^&. Called DRV Factory. Told them about the TV. They said I should contact their TV supplier in Elkhart and they would take care of it. The warranty was for 2 years from the date of sale.

Called the TV source and told them about the TV probems. They took the last 4 digits of the MS VIN number, the model of the TV and said, "We will send you a new one." They took our current address info and said they would get back to me with a shipping tracking number. 2 days later they called and gave me the tracking number and said, "It was shipped yesterday".

So far we have only had minor problems and excellent service by DRV and our dealer. My wife continues to tell me daily, "Have I told you today how much I love our new home?"
waldmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
TVA

Looking for a nice campsite

Wondering if anyone knows of a good campground half way between Destin, Florida and Howe, Indiana? We will be heading north for a stop over at DRV for some items on our check list, before we head home.
TVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I can never remember names of campgrounds but, There are very few open till about mid April that far north. At least with running water. We have stayed at a couple in southern Ohio and I remember one in west virginia that is open all year that we have stayed at a few times I'm pretty sure the name is Camp Creek State Park.
Good luck.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote