Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
USA in a Chevrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop
i installed the Winegard Travelor on my roof today. At 9:00 I called DRV to ask them where the cables were on the roof. All the techs were busy, connected me to voice mail. Left message. At 9:15 Greg called me back. Said to look in the forward, right vent cap. He also told me that it was prewired for a solar battery charger, and I would find those wires under the forward, left vent cap. Looked and there they were. I am fimiliar with how these systems work, but have never even seen someone install one before.
I was drinking iced tea and watching a movie by 11:00. All of the cables on both ends were accurately labled and plenty long.
This unit is a 2011 that we purchased kind of spur of the moment the first day of December. It is our fourth DRV. I keep getting happier with every one.
Did you go with Dish or Direct & where did you buy the Traveler? Are you getting HD? Thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
porkchop

I ordered it from Camping World a few weeks ago when they had a sale & free shipping. $1299 if my memory is correct.
We have a Carry out automatic that we've used for 4 years that I really liked for all the mentioned reasons such as missng trees. Works well and is easy to set up. Wind does not bother it at all. I set it on the roof and it never moves. If we only stop for a few days I sometimes set it on the pinbox or the ground. Put it on the roof to keep it out of the way and away from the lawn mowers. Down side is it's a pain to store and the dish is small enough that sometimes it really struggles to lock in.
We use Dish because we have always had it at the house and they gave me a free 2nd receiver and only charge $5 a month extra for the 250 channel HD package. (Over what they charge for the house)
When we get to the RGV for the winter I just call them and change our local channels to this zip code and all is well. Actually, you can call and change it everytime you move if you want, but we don't. Only do that when we are going to set for a while. The primary advantage of that is I can tape the news while I'm doing other things and then watch the news and fast forward thru the commercials.

Bill

porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
hitchup

I just saw this morning the CEO of Dish Network showing their new DVR (The Hopper) receivers that will record 6 shows at once. One nice feature, The Hopper DVR also does not require an internet connection to download on-demand content. Customers can download up to ten movies a day via satellite. So that will be a beneficial to RVers.

David removed our Winegard dome last year and replaced it with the DirecTV- Traveler SK-3005. But we're happy with it.

We switched because the dome signal would continually get blocked by snow or dark clouds/rain. We've found the Traveler also loses signal strength when the wind is blowing strong. But learned to go back to menu and show SD stations and we're good.

6 mos after we upgraded to HD DVR's, we upgraded the 40" LCD to a larger 46" LED TV. Picture is so much better in HD than SD.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
GlennWest

concerning the OP my 32TK3 06, at the water hook up, dump handles location the sat and cable connectors are there. I removed the plate and found the splitter for the bedroom sat. Got rid of it. Got a 3 post plate and attached to cables.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #25
wingnut60
Site Team

Glenn,
"3 post plate" not familiar with this, what is it? My cables did not have the splitter behind the connection plate, but I bought used.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
GlennWest

The plate the male connections are on. You can buy them with more than two connectors. When I removed the splitter I had no hook up for bedroom sat. Bought plate with 3 connectors, cable, living room sat, bedroom sat.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #27
USA in a Chevrolet

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I ended up buying the Winegard Traveler for Dish Network. Installation was easy. The only problem was that the prewire cables & prewire control cable for the Winegard box were short because at the factory the guys wrapped the cables around a roof rafter forward of the access hole (false vent) on the roof. My wife & I spent a couple of hours fishing a new control cable to the access hole. There was no excuse for this happening at the factory & not being caught there!

I decided to go with a contract with Dish to get a dual tuner DVR. I will cancel my cable service when I get home. My cable company forces me to keep some tv channels when we are away RVing. I was getting tired of paying for something I am not getting the 6 months or so we are away. When I called up Dish the lady told me to tell them I was looking for a permanent installation in the RV & then to tell them we were moving when I get home so I can get free installation at home. The installer insisted on setting up a tripod for me outside as a spare dish so we'll take that with us for emergencies!

So far, we really like Dish. We've had it a about 10 days now. I'll use the tip I read to just call them with our new location when we move in the RV.

Thanks again for everyone's help.