Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
MDTdriver

Rear Air bag system on 4700

I have 12,500lbs. rear air bags on my 4700 which has been my puller for over 1 1/2 years.
I have just under 10,000lbs. with 5er on hitch on rear axel.
When solo just under 7,000lbs. on rear axel.

I was at a International dealer on July 5,06 and got a print out of my (line set ticket) which come with a new MDT. My air bags are 17,500lbs. are a little rough riding.

I had D-Square truck repair install his 2in. high brackets under my air bag bell on each side, then lowered my air bag on bell 1 1/2 in. to make a softer ride on rear axel.
The MDT rides much better solo and with 5er now with lower air bag system.
My Trail Air pin box takes care of the pin load very well with the 17,500lb air rear end, now with the lower air bag rear end it helps the air pin box with some of the work.

Larry & Kathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01693_1__170.jpg (15.2 KB, 37 views)

MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Jerry

Larry, I am very interested in your air bag modification by Gene McCall. Could you possibly email me a photo of the installation? I may take a run by his place and have them installed on my 4700. Did he do anything to change the air pressure or just change the ride height of the air bags?
Jerry

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
MDTdriver

Air bag on 4700

They move the air bag ajustment rod to lower the bags on the bells a small amout. It still is at the same ride height as before the work.
It has been raining here in Wi. every few days. I have a creeper to get under the rear will try to take some digital pictures I then can pot them under my post in this forum.
Will work on that may take a few days.
I am on the Escapees MDT fourm posting this there and several guys are taking about it.

Larry & Kathy
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
Old 05-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
glav

Your Rear Air Bag Mods

Hi Larry, I too would like to see the pictures for the rear air bag modifications.

I now have driven the truck for a week. Well I too, think that the rear air bags could use some improvement. I have gotten so spoiled with my 03 Dodge 1 ton. I also miss some of the creature features of the Dodge. But I will not have to worry about being overweight.

Another question, how is your steering? I know that I am comparing everything on the Stalick International to the Dodge. But the steering leaves me wondering about it. The Dodge was so tight and quick, and the Stalick is looser, don't know if that is normal or do I have a problem?

Then there is the annoying fan clutch engagement, it seems the fan clutch engages about every minute with an engine temp at around 210 degrees. Now when it is cooler it don't engage that much, but it is still annoying. My Dodge rarely ever engage the fan clutch. The engine size in the International is 8.7 liter (530 cubic inches) and the Dodge is 5.9 liter (390 cubic inches). I think the engine size has nothing to do with it, I think that it is in the controls for the fan clutch. Larry what has been your experience?
Take Care
Gene
glav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #5
Jerry

Gene,
The fan engagement noise is normal. It is a big fan moving a lot of air. It is air controled so it is either totally off or totally on, not varible engagement like viscous fans on smaller vehicles.
Also, your steering sounds normal. These are large steering gear boxes with a much different ratio and steering geometry than pickups, however it turns much sharper, as I'm sure you have noticed.
Jerry
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
MDTdriver

Air bag on 4700

Hi Jerry & Gene Sorry for the delay.
I am still working on the pictures, but I have been moving my 5er every 3 or 4 days where we are staying, there working on the building and a new garage and with the delivery of supplys is has been a mess.
We are setup now for 3 or 4 weeks so rain no with standing I will have some time to work on it.

Larry & Kathy plus Meeko our new traveling Siberian Husky
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
Old 06-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Glav; what your hearing is the same on my International, at about 210 ish the fan will engage till it drops the temps down a little, and then run quiet till it re-engages. I've run into other International owners and have often thought maybe asking if I could drive their truck, and they drive mine. It would give us a feeling of knowing if our truck was "normal"?? The steering isn't as sharp and crisp as a pick up trucks, but I don't think I have anything loose or worn out. I do know that with the 4,200 ish pin weight I carry, I'm lifting almost 200 lbs off the steer wheels. I don't feel the loss in weight, but the scales show it.

1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote