Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
RodeWorthy

2011 Chevy

Saw the new specs for the 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD today. Very impressive. Many things improved. Larger fuel capacity, improved tow specs, etc. etc. Looks like a winner to me.

Check it out here.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Motor31

I had heard a rumor that GM was going to cease making one ton PU's or even all the PU models. Any idea if that is true and if so when they are stopping production?

I am not sure but it may have been the 4500 to 6500 models they are dropping. That would make more sense to me rather than dropping all light duty PU's (1 ton and below).

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

GM

GM has ceased production of only the Topkick/Kodiak 4500/5500 MDTs.
I believe they will be strong in the LDTs for the foreseeable future.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

GM MDTs

On the subject of GM MDTs----
In Mansfield, TX, there is a supply of C/C units waiting to be customized. If anyone is interested: Unique Conversions
1502 Highway 157 North
Mansfield, TX 76063
817-477-5251
I could not find a website for them. They had a ton of these about a year ago--the supply is slowly dwindling as I see them when I drive by.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Walt

I'm thinking of buying a 2011 GMC 3500 DRW, Duramax/Allison. Does anyone own one yet? If so how is the clearance between the bed rails and the under side of a MS?
2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
RodeWorthy

Bedrail clearance

That is a good question. The bedrail clearance on my '08 Chevy is tight even after I had the trailer "tubed"* to raise it two inches. The trucks seem to get higher every year.

I had planned to put a higher riser in for the Trailersaver hitch but decided to stay with the one I had and be careful. If I get in a tight spot I can add air to the hitch to raise the head about 3 inches. Have had to do that about 3 times in 3 years.

*tubed - Mor/Ryde term for welding a square steel tube between frame and axles prior to installing IS axles. They have several sizes depending on need to level the whole rig.

4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
Old 11-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
ralphp

2011 silverado C3500 LTZ

My 2009 Silverado was in for oil change (3000 miles) and lot boy tried to run over another vehicle with it. Now I'am looking at replacement with dealer help. I was at dealer where I purchased truck. They are suggesting srw vs drw and have always had dual wheels on othere trucks I have owned. So qwestion what have others done with this new truck with larger cap. on rear wheel advice please.
ralphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Motor31

Check the weaght capacity on the axle and tires for single vs duals. A single simply can't support as much as the duals. If you are carrying heavy loads (big camper in back) or a lot of pin weight such as a 5th wheel trailer you need the dually.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #9
Hermes

Re: Bedrail clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeWorthy
That is a good question. The bedrail clearance on my '08 Chevy is tight even after I had the trailer "tubed"* to raise it two inches. The trucks seem to get higher every year.

I had planned to put a higher riser in for the Trailersaver hitch but decided to stay with the one I had and be careful. If I get in a tight spot I can add air to the hitch to raise the head about 3 inches. Have had to do that about 3 times in 3 years.

*tubed - Mor/Ryde term for welding a square steel tube between frame and axles prior to installing IS axles. They have several sizes depending on need to level the whole rig.
Alright..the bedrail clearance is enough by raising it to two inches. Aside from the previous mentioned hitches. Can you recommend other cheap hitch but high quality?
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
hmwilbur

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW 4X4 Extended cab

We ordered a new 2011 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 in August for towing our 2006 34' MS and a 16,000 GVW livestock trailer. Our 2006 3500 SRW Chevy allowed us 6' between the bed in the tail gate area and the bottom of the nose and the trailer was level. We ordered the 2011 truck with the assurance of the dealer sales staff that the box top height would not exceed the box height of our 2006 3500 SRW truck. We were skeptical of this assurance as the 2500 SRW crew cabs on the lot were all at least 2" higher. The inside bed height is 1" higher than the 2006's and the bed floor is at least 1" higher. The sales manager consulted with the service manager who told us that if the truck was too high that it could be lowered with adjustments to the suspension. This seemed reasonable since I knew that it was possible with some of the earlier Ford Super Duty F350s. When the truck arrived we hooked it up and had only 3" of clearence at the rear of the box. We were unable to tow it from the spot where it was stored with out the tail gate striking the nose. Of course the dealer's service department could not lower the truck without voiding the warrenty and we were on our own. We had to make it work as our 2006 truck had been sold. We raised the Reece 5th wheel hitch 1" and pulled the MS to a level spot and still only had 4" and the trailer had an unacceptable tilt to the rear. We next put the trailer on blocks and changed the springs from the center hole of the hangers to the bottom hole. We now have a 5" clearence at the tail gate area and the trailer sits fairly level. We have traveled 2500 miles and so far have not had an issue with the clearence. Our 2004 and 2006 trucks slumped enough make the 04 and 06 MS trailers ride level. The 2011 has wider leaf springs and also has over load springs. It slumps very little. The HD designation has meaning with 2011 model. Everything else about this truck is all a driver could ask for. My only concern now is that the diesel exhust burner may create issues. I'm sure it will be a topic of discussion on this forum in the future.
hmwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Walt

2011 Chevy/GMC 3500 HD DRW

hmwilbur,

Thank you for the detailed post. I, like you, have been concerned about the clearance but I've gone ahead and ordered a 2011 GMC Sierra 3500 extend cab 4WD DRW. I currently have a 2002 Chevy Silverado HD SRW and have 6 inches of clearance. If I need to, I can raise my Curt 20K hitch another 2 inches. My MS is already on the lower bolt holes. I'm hoping the MS still rides fairly level after I raise the hitch. Enjoy your new truck!!!
2019 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #396674
2022 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 DRW 4WD
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
RodeWorthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes
Quote:

Alright..the bedrail clearance is enough by raising it to two inches. Aside from the previous mentioned hitches. Can you recommend other cheap hitch but high quality?
Hi Hermes,
No the bedrail issue was not solved by raising the trailer 2 inches. That change allowed the trailer to tow level but did not affect the hitch height. If I did not have the ability to raise the hitch by adding air to the air bag then I would not consider the <6" clearance adequate. Towing on the highway is not a problem but some campground situations can cause problems when making tight turns on a hill. That is where I can get away with adding air to raise the hitch. We do not travel with extra air -- that would defeat the purpose of the air ride.

Sorry I don't have any information on other hitches. The Trailersaver is the only one I have used.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
I just spent some time helping a friend that sold his 2004 2500 Chevy short box for a 2011 HD Chevy long box. I warned him of the higher bed issue with his 5th wheel, but he was sure there would be no problem. There was a huge problem. When hooked up less than 2 inches clearance. We moved the hitch to the highest position allowable, not enough clearance yet, so we dropped the pin box too. Now he has approx 5 to 6 inches when sitting on level ground. Trailer is slightly nose high by 2 inches. He does not want to do anything with the trailer axles so he now has what he has. He is extremely happy with the truck, unhappy that the dealer told him that the extra height would not matter as the truck would squat when the pin weight was installed. Didn't happen, his pin weight is 2,700lbs and the truck didn't move.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
Red Ram

quote: " unhappy that the dealer told him that the extra height would not matter"

It is unfortunate that this happens all too often. I have learned over many years that taking their word for anything is at best a crap shoot.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
Hermes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes
Quote:

Hi Hermes,
No the bedrail issue was not solved by raising the trailer 2 inches. That change allowed the trailer to tow level but did not affect the hitch height. If I did not have the ability to raise the hitch by adding air to the air bag then I would not consider the <6" clearance adequate. Towing on the highway is not a problem but some campground situations can cause problems when making tight turns on a hill. That is where I can get away with adding air to raise the hitch. We do not travel with extra air -- that would defeat the purpose of the air ride.

Sorry I don't have any information on other hitches. The Trailersaver is the only one I have used.
Thanks for the info..and clarification.. :D
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
Motor31

How can you tell a salesman is lying prior to you signing the contract?

He or she is breathing.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"