Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
MDTdriver

More thoughts on Internet and Fulltiming

We have been on the road since June 2000. When we spend the summer in Wi. we have DSL thanks to a family member.
The rest of the year we had Verzion cell internet (slow) but better than 0.
We could go into internet room in camp grounds but our laptop was wi
Windows 98 not much faster than cell phone.
The first on Nov. 05 we spent the $ for Direct Way broad band internet.
Which is want I am on now, not as good as DSL but much better than Cell.
We have two desk tops in our 5er so we both are on even at the same time. Just food for thought.
PS: we have a great dealer for instalatin for rv Direct Way, which D-Way say you should not do. But a lot do.
If you would more info, or like to have D-Way, e-mail me and I will send you dealer info or phone #.
Hope to see you on the road.
Larry & Kathy

Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Hobo

Here is a great link that will put you in touch with other DirecWay users and installers.
http://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-bi...cgi/index.html

I have found it to a great wealth of info before and after the purchase.

Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Motor31

MDTdriver,

What do you want to know about D-way? You can ask me here or send me a message through the bbs. I'll be happy to answer your questions.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
MarineChief

It's been over a year since anyone has "written" to this slot on the forum. But figured I would add in my recent information.

We're using verizon wireless broadband service. It runs 60/month (plus taxes, etc) so toatl is really closer to 80/month. Anyway the speed results from online testing services gave over 750kbps download and 125kbps upload. Note that this is also regardless of trees in the area which could/would block a satellite link. I have to admit that it IS musch faster that the previous verizon service that I had (pre-broadband and 20/month higher fee).

Anyway I've been quite satisfied to date.
MarineChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
RodeWorthy

Thanks MarineChief. These old post do get read when someone updates them. Just wanted to let you you know I appreciated your information. Is that a bundled service you have with Verizon or strictly Internet?

RodeWorthy
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineChief
It's been over a year since anyone has "written" to this slot on the forum. But figured I would add in my recent information.

We're using verizon wireless broadband service. It runs 60/month (plus taxes, etc) so toatl is really closer to 80/month. Anyway the speed results from online testing services gave over 750kbps download and 125kbps upload. Note that this is also regardless of trees in the area which could/would block a satellite link. I have to admit that it IS musch faster that the previous verizon service that I had (pre-broadband and 20/month higher fee).
Anyway I've been quite satisfied to date.
Chief is this the same service that Verizon is advertising as available in 700 + metropolitan areas.
Lemon Tree 04 MS 36TK3 #0886
Hughes Net
Fulltimer since 1999
Find me at https://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=2000
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
MarineChief

To RodeWorthy - The package I have is NOT bundled - even though I have Verizon as my cell service. I use the computer card (slips into the pcimia slot - or whatever the proper name is) to access the internet. I did NOT however, get an email address with this service and I use Hotmail and a web-based service I already had (NOT from an ISP). I believe the card is voice capable and can be used to dial out for FAXes (if I had the proper FAX program - haven't been able to get Microsloth FAX to work). Anyway if these are used then there is a different connection and a 25-cent per minute charge applies. Figure if I need to FAX then I'll go to an office store, make a temp connection to a landline (if available), or look for a web-based service like e-fax.

The wireless card service was what was originally available to me when we moved out of the house to an apartment while waiting for the Teton to be purchased and constructed. The new address did not support the dsl service that I had before the move. The wireless card itself was found at an RV show booth in Timonium, MD and after some thought I decided that was the way to go. Original card was a Sierra Wireless AirCard 555 and service was pretty widespread but really not too fast. BUT it was quicker that dial-up and cheaper than any satellite service at that time. The "new-in-two" program offered through Verizon got me my current card (an Audiovox PC5740) which has the broadband feature and runs at least five times faster than the previous card. I tested its speed at 785 kbps down and 125 kbps upload (I don't upload all that often, so not a problem). The only connection problems I've had was in the Badlands of SD. Most everyone has trouble in the hills like this though. So... just took a trip to the parking lot at Crazy Horse and could download emails and perform banking operations - therefore, not a problem (again).

In all honesty there are faster connections out there to be had (satellite). But I'm retired and haven't the need-for-speed anymore, nor want to pay the expense of a dish setup. Also the wireless card works in the trees - at least I haven't had trouble there.

To Hobo - Yes I believe that you got the advertisement connected to the right card. So far I'm pretty well pleased with what I got. I've been also thinking about adding in the MS Office Kit should I be able to send a FAX though this service - also I believe its a good way to link the phone book to the computer so that I don't have to re-enter all the phone numbers when changing phones (what a pain). But in all reality I do not need this service at this time - its just a wish list kind of thing.

Hope the info is helpful - and the writing not too long
Old 02-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
rufnit

MarineChief, glad you're happy with your Verizon card. I have the same thing and I'm severly disappointed. If I just happen to find a place that has a full signal I get very good speeds. Only problem is, I rarely find a place that the card is even usable. I also have a Verizon phone and many times I have a good signal with the phone and nothing with the card. We'll be moving to fulltiming in the next two years and I'll be going with a Datastorm. I also tried the Sprint connection card and it was not much better than the Verizon.
Everest Owners Club
rufnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
rotaxman

internet

rufnit

Go to Best Buy and buy a package called Data Pilot it comes with some software and some hardware. I makes your phone into a celluar modem so when you get a siginal with your phone you will be able to connect. It comes with about 8 or 10 different cords for different cell phones. Costs about 80 bucks mine works like a charm. When I get retired in 363 days from today I will be using Direcway for my internet provider. The Data Pilot will be for time when we are just stopping for a short time and don't want to set up the dish. Hope this helps. As always good camping.
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
MDTdriver

D-Way

We are very happy with our D-Way setup. I setup it up if we are stopping for 2 nights or more. It works any place in the USA we do not leave the country to much to see and spend our $ here in USA.
I have the room in my front storage under the living room, bed room is in the rear of 5er.
It take me 25 mins. or less but I am getting better at it, only had it since Nov. 05.
Down loads are faster than Verizon cell phone internet I use for 2 years. I love Verizon been with them since 1987 called Pac Bell then. Next was Airtouch then Verizon. I thought Airtouch was a better name.

Larry & Kathy plus Mojo
Fulltime June 2000 SK#82498
Our Home is Where we Park IT
International 4700 Low Profile 530 power:Full Air Ride
Prowler Regal AX6 :Trail Air pin box/spring over axle: Verizon internet: 2 Verizon cell phone
MDTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
LindaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufnit
MarineChief, glad you're happy with your Verizon card. I have the same thing and I'm severly disappointed. If I just happen to find a place that has a full signal I get very good speeds. Only problem is, I rarely find a place that the card is even usable. I also have a Verizon phone and many times I have a good signal with the phone and nothing with the card. We'll be moving to fulltiming in the next two years and I'll be going with a Datastorm. I also tried the Sprint connection card and it was not much better than the Verizon.
Sounds to me like you need an external antenna and an amplifier to boost the signal in those fringe areas.

We have a Verizon air card plus an external antenna and an amplifier. While there are still places with no cell coverage, we're often surprised at the places where we DO get a useable signal for Internet...it can sometimes be in a slow area, but when we're in an EVDO area, speeds are faster than satellite Internet (which we used to have).
2007 Dodge Ram 3500
https://earl-linda.blogspot.com
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
MarineChief

More thoughts on Internet and Fulltiming

I see this thread is still partially active and figured that I would update my connection information.

Although it HAS been several years since this started I see that it suprizingly has merit. First we changed our living conditions in 2008 by exchanging our 5er & MDT for a motorcoach (I hope that doesn't make me a trader). We just could no longer afford to use the MDT as primary transportation when fuel was nearly $5.00/gal (we had passed the Civic along to our daughter - was really too long of a tow with the car added to the trailer).

ANYWAY (or getting to the point) - my latest update is using the Verizon Wireless MiFi2200 card. I am absolutely estactic about the speed this now gives me. Sitting here (have an EXCELLENT signal) I ran a test using TestMySpeed.com and got the following results:
Download 2328Kbps Upload 601Kbps

Pricing is still what is was and hasn't yet gone up (other than tax up/down variations). I've had this service since before limits so I am grandfathered on a TRUELY UNLIMITED amount of data (not the 5gig limits that many have imposed). However, in all honesty I don't often use that much data exchange - I don't usually stream video (only small youtube style bits), haven't downloaded movies or music and genrally use it for blog, forums and emails.

Hope this finds everyone well and enjoying their own RV lifestyle !!!

Formerly had:
2004 39' Teton Freedom Royal
2003 Freightliner SportChassis
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid & Demco SS460 dolly
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
hitchup

Re: More thoughts on Internet and Fulltiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineChief
Although it HAS been several years since this started I see that it suprizingly has merit. First we changed our living conditions in 2008 by exchanging our 5er & MDT for a motorcoach (I hope that doesn't make me a trader). We just could no longer afford to use the MDT as primary transportation when fuel was nearly $5.00/gal (we had passed the Civic along to our daughter - was really too long of a tow with the car added to the trailer).

Hope this finds everyone well and enjoying their own RV lifestyle !!!
You are only a Trader if you traded your Teton for the A-Bus, but we wouldn't consider you a Traitor, because it sounds like you're still FTing in an RV.

Might add, that when our working status changes, we would consider an Allegro Bus over some of the others. It's too many years off in the future though. :-(
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
my latest update is using the Verizon Wireless MiFi2200 card. I am absolutely estactic about the speed this now gives me. Sitting here (have an EXCELLENT signal) I ran a test using TestMySpeed.com and got the following results:
I also have had verizon air cards for many years. whenever I change cards I always get one that Will accept an antenna and signal booster.

Can I ask how much per month for the wifi2200 card? I have always paid about $60.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
MarineChief

to Hitchup:
Thanks for the support - (I didn't realize my syntax error until you pointed it out). It HAS been a good life as a full-timer. Even though we now live in a motorcoach I can see there is still MUCH information available on the 5thwheel forum. Good luck in your future !!

To Huck:
Verizon bill for the MiFi comes in at just under $64/month on the itemized billing statement. Of course we have other phones bundled in with this (and support my wife's Mom's cell phone) so the total package for three phones and unlimited data on aircard comes in around $160.

Formerly had:
2004 39' Teton Freedom Royal
2003 Freightliner SportChassis
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid & Demco SS460 dolly