Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
2 DA WDS

Fan, Fan & Fan Questions

1. On the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen, if I set the controller to where the fan is off but the cover is open will it close when it rains?

2. Is the Create-A-Breeze fan in the bedroom noisier than the Fantastic Fan? Ours is pretty noisy on low and like a C130 on the other settings.

3. Has anyone tried to raise the ceiling fan or the blades so the door slide doesnt snap the blades off on a regular basis?

2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
larry_electricguy

On the ceiling fan the blades have to be bent up. Found this out after breaking blades twice on the dinette slideout. Don't know about the creat a breeze only have fantastic fans. Mine go close when it rains as long as the rain sensor isn't disabled.

Larry

Mobile Suites owner #1764
2001 Ford 550
Charter Member S.O.I.T.C.
Central Region-Kansas
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...tatePark-1.jpg
larry_electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Motor31

Re: Fan, Fan & Fan Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 DA WDS
1. On the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen, if I set the controller to where the fan is off but the cover is open will it close when it rains?

2. Is the Create-A-Breeze fan in the bedroom noisier than the Fantastic Fan? Ours is pretty noisy on low and like a C130 on the other settings.

3. Has anyone tried to raise the ceiling fan or the blades so the door slide doesnt snap the blades off on a regular basis?

1. On our FF unit the lid did drop with the fan motor off. The rain sensor isn't tied to the motor speed.

2. Our FF units are fairly quiet at low speed but I'd never try to sleep with either the create a breeze unit or FF running. They are both noisy. I rarely use the create a breeze and in the future wouldn't get it if there is a FF in the same area. The only advantage the create a breeze fan has is the opaque lid that keeps the bedroom dark (as long as I have the sunroof in the shower blocked anyhow).

3. Our fan blades don't make contact witht he slides at all. It sounds like you have "droopy" blades or the fan is mounted a touch too low.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Okie

I lost a fan blade due to the two bolts that hold the fan blade to the fan proper. They had come loose and alowed the blade to hang lower than it should. Make sure all the bolts are tight.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Motor31

When we first got our rig we had the kitchen ceiling fan shed a blade when we turned it on. While the screws were in the fans, not one of them in both fans had been tightened. They were just started for a couple threads and left that way on all of them.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
2 DA WDS

Ditto on the loose blades. The first time we broke on on our other MS all were loose. The guy we bought this one from had a set of spare blades in a drawer. I 'm guessing it has been hit many times and the mount is actually cocked.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
osiebosie

We, too, have never had a problem with the ceiling fans. I guess it all has to do with who was screwing that day...

Our FF keeps getting stuck. I turn it on at the wall, and it will make the racket and the knob with turn until it actually gets to the point that the cover should be lifting. Then it just stops. George has gone out several times and unstuck it. Last time, he oiled it. It worked for a while, but is now stuck again. He said this time he would grease it. (So what's the big difference in oil and grease??)

Other than that, it works really well and is not overly loud. The fan in the bedroom doesn't get used often, but we have a dark cover over it, and I keep it barely cracked when in storage (which is outside). To me, it is no louder than the a/c.

Sharon
SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
WildJohn

there was a thread about that some time ago and there was a problem.. if you contact FF they will replace the necessary parts for you at no cost.. mine sticks also and I should do it but haven't got a round to it.. I gave away more than a thousand of them when I ran my muffler shop but didn't keep one for myself.
(round slice of wood with the impression on one side that read "now that you have one come see J&A Muffler Shop" and on the other side it said
"ROUND TUIT")
Hate to jinx myself but no problems with the ceiling fans so far but it has only been a little over a year full time.
SAFE AND HAPPY CAMPING ALL THE TIME
John
gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
rverdlm

On the 38RL3 the living room fan, because it is further back and therefore lower, is very close to the top of the slide. One of the things we've put on our check list is to put the fan blades at 45 degrees and to watch them as we bring in the curb side slide. We did have a blade break and I found it had loose screws. I checked all the others and they were tight. Perhaps they loosened from vibration. Any way it is something to keep track of.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
billr

We also broke a fan blade and bent the fan mount. Whole thing replaced, but still very close. Will look at Larry's idea about bending them up a bit.

Put the new seal from FF on the lid and it still sticks, not quite as bad.

Both fans are quiet, FF is quieter.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Our FF fan also used to have the lid stick when it tried to open. I went up on the roof and ran my fingers around the inside of the lid to see why it was sticking. Found a small burr from the production process and used a small file to sand off the burr. Has not stuck since, you might look at yours to see if you too have a slight rough area causing the sticking lid.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
Ade

Our 2 FF fans were sticking also. Called FF and they sent me 2 packets of pure silicon, 2 alcohol wipes and 2 packets of 303. Clean the rubber with the wipes and then rub the silicon on. Then clean the lid and apply the 303. Haven't had a problem since.
2006 36TK3 #2515
2003 Chevrolet 3500 D/A
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #13
cptxguys

Here's some info on how to correct the problem from Fantastic Vent -

http://www.fantasticvent.com/faq/kno...tly_asked.html

Q. WHY DO DOMES (lids) STICK TO THE RUBBER SEAL?
A. CAUSE: Oil or oil derivatives and Polycarbonate are not compatible, they're actually enemies. Any oil or grease on a Polycarbonate dome will cause cracks in a very short time yet Polycarbonate in the proper thickness is literally "bullet proof". Structurally, Polycarbonate remains the strongest exterior polymer available (hence, Fan-Tastic Vent lifetime warranted dome / flat lids) but, unfortunately, it's resistance to many chemicals and oil is not good.

EPDM rubber is the highest quality weather seal on the market and has been for many years. From our experience, it does not break down under severe Ultra Violet ray (UV) conditions and has remained soft and pliable for over 20 years. EPDM rubber's formula or recipe must include a lubricant for the extruding process. That lubricant is a small amount of "oil"! The amount of oil in the recipe is very slight but when subjected to heat and intense UV the rubber seal "bleeds" (a faint trace of oil develops on the surface of the seal).

The combination of Polycarbonate dome, compressed bleeding seal and sun, generates a chemical reaction resulting in a "stuck dome / lid". Historically, only a small percentage of seals extruded in the large lots we purchase bleed enough to cause this problem.

Our treating of all seals prior to packaging for 18 years with 303, a water based protectant, eliminated sticking but occasionally required additional treatment, generally, prior to storing coach. A few years ago seals treated with 303 began sticking and re-treatment didn’t correct the problem. Upon investigation, some component suppliers actually stated "EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) constraints in conjunction with dramatic cost increases and availability of essential chemicals lead to changes in the components they supplied without advanced notification”. Since then, we have used release agent (rubber manufacturer recommended), redesigned and re-tooled the seal profile, changed the adhesive we apply inside seal to hold it to the main base and finally, changed rubber suppliers!

FIX: Our current pre-treating of new vendor seals with “silicone emulsion” has proven extremely effective. Customers need only contact us toll free (800-521-029 to receive new production seals and adhesive for the correction of the aforementioned issue.
2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #14
osiebosie

What a nice guy: Rodney with Fantastic Fans. I just hung up with him, and he is sending me the stuff (?) to put on the gasket. And he said if we can't get the gasket cleaned, he'd send us a new one of those, too.

Thanks cptxguys for the info.

Sharon
SOITC Charter Member #2211
2005 36TK3 Mobile Suites
2005 Chevy Silverado Diesel 3500 1-ton dually Allison Transmission
2 gorgeous dogs: Katie Mae and Broadway

and now... A Handsome New Grandson, Temple, born 3/26/2007 and weighing in at 9 lbs 10 ozs!!
osiebosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
cptxguys

Always glad to be of assistance!

2007 Doubltree Elite Suite 36RS3 #3756
cptxguys is offline   Reply With Quote