Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
rotaxman

Tires and Wheels

I left Kansas City in mid July on my way Idaho to visit relatives the month prior to departure I had a tire start going down on the trailer. I took the tire to a tire professional (It's very hard to find a tire professional now days) who said that the stem was leaking and replaced the stem.

One week later the tire is going down been setting in the driveway the whole time so I took it to another tire professional again the stem was leaking and was replaced. 150 miles into the trip I'm setting in a closed weight station putting the spare on the ground in 100 degree heat valve stem was leaking again.

Went to another tire professional here in Idaho Falls Id day before yesterday said that they replaced the stem and I was good to go. They put the tire in the trunk and I went back to the trailer went to put the tire on the trailer today and found that the tire was flat had a rubber valve stem that was a size to small and also had no valve core. The stem just fell inside the wheel when I touched it. Not to mention that they didn't treat my alum wheel to well looked like it had been in an accident. Real tire professionals huh?

Took it to another tire professional today this time I really got a pro he inserted a new metal stem blew it up and promptly found that it was still leaking. Dismounted the tire and closely looked at the area around the whole where the stem go's thru the wheel and found a very very very small hair line crack that started at the whole and migrated toward the center of the wheel. Wheel is junk. Looked at the inside of the wheel and it was manufactured in Argentina. I have the 16 inch wheels which I thought were China made which wouldn't be any better. Really China made wheels would have irratated me even more I like there stuff even less.

I think when I get home if I get home without anymore wheel failures I'm going to hunt down some good steel wheels maybe 19.5's if I can get some with the right offset and get rid of my wheel and tire problems.

I'm starting to grow weary of American companys going to foreign manufacturers for substandard products to increase their bottom line. There will be people that will say that they are doing this so they can keep prices down and meet manufacturing deadlines. I could care less about either of those concerns. I would gladly pay more to get quality products

Sorry for the rant and the long post bottom line if you have 16's and have a leak at the stem look for a very very small hairline crack from the stem hole migrating outward in any direction. If you have that your wheel is done. I had them put a tube in mine and I will use it for a spare until I get home.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Gemstone

A rubber valve stem deteriorated and cost me a blowout and wheel well damage, I'll never again have a tire with a rubber valve stem.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
The tires/rims on a MS should not have rubber stems in the first place bacause of the tire presure. The valve caps should also be metal.

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
rotaxman

Tires and Wheels

Ponch and Gemstone

I'am aware that rubber stems are not used in this high a pressure application I should have checked before I let them put the tire in the trunk. But I figured since they were a tire place and that I had made it a point to tell them when I dropped it off that I wanted a steel stem that they would install one. Wrong I guess you should never take anything for granted.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
It's sad Jerry but it seems like it is to much trouble to take the initiave to do the job right!

Ponch
Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #6
rotaxman

Pride

Ponch

I have to agree with you like I posted in my first post its getting more and more difficult to get any professional to do what their profession is in a professional manner. Yes it is sorry in deed.

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro