Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
47hook

It's Here, sort of...

Well, our 36TK3 arrived at the dealer over the weekend. But they are short of Techs and backed up. We were originally given a May 10th delivery date, but that might slip. Normally, I would accept a bit of a slip, but they wanted to make the delivery date 2 days before we go on a 2 week trip .

The arrival date of our MS was probably delayed a few days because the factory was good enough to return the unit to the assemply area where they installed a W/D and the Advantium after the unit was built. So, I do have to give the dealer a bit of slack.

After talking to the service manager, I think we have come up with a workable compromise. Part of the issue is putting on the capture plate/adapter for my SuperGlide and transferring the Onan generator from our trade in to the MS. And of course their PDI. So, I requested that they do their PDI as soon as they can so I can do mine and if issues arise, they can handle them at the same time they are doing the other items. I'll be calling them today, and probably doing my PDI on the 10th and maybe even picking it up then, just depends. They have offered to let me sleep over in it after the PDI, but I'd rather just do the PDI and go. They are trying to rearange their work load but some of what they are dealing with involves fixing problems for some full timers, etc. Should work out.

Update to follow.

2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
OB

47 Hook; If at all possible you should spend the night in it after the PDI. You will be surprised at what you will find. If your coming back into the dealers area after your trip then it really won't matter. But I think you know what develops after delivery. Good luck and congratulations on your new unit.
OB

04 36TK3 #1207 w/5th airborne pin hitch
OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Mikey

PDI Checklist

47 Hook

You may have already seen this checklist. It's long - 11 pages.
I can't remember (sometimers) where I found it. Did some work on it.
We sent a copy to our sales rep. We pick up our MS36TK3 on June 18.
Best of luck
Attached Files
File Type: doc pre-purchase_walk_around_600.doc (221.5 KB, 21 views)
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
47hook

Mikey, I think that's the one I did download, thanks and I do plan on using it. I also copied all sorts of posts here about what others' have found wrong and how they fixed the problems. I'll that info, also.

I just had a call from the service mgr and the unit should be ready for pick up Thursday/Friday. Tentative plan is for me to show up Thursday and depending on what I find, etc I will probably stay the night.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now all I need is to pass the hat for a new TV.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
47hook

Update

Well, as I suspected, the unit wasn't near ready to take home: no generator installed and no capture plate for the SuperGlide installed. Now, guaranteed Tuesday. They are a small dealership, 2 neat and clean bays in the shop, but they sell lots of DT products, they say. The tech they are missing went into business for himself.

The only other dispointment was with that capture plate for the SuperGlide hitch. This TrailAir pinbox is different then the one on our Alfa and there is no way to bolt it on; has to be welded. Can't get to the fwd area of the TrailAir, big metal brace welded in the way. Oh, well. One day won't need a slider hitch. (The Alfa Trailair is not compatible with the MS pinbox.)

So much for the bad news. The good news was it's a great looking 5er. I will probably find stuff I missed on the PDI (they did have it ready for that so if there was any issue they could deal with it now), but for now there is only one issue, a loose hinge on the overhead cabinet by the fridge. This fridge is different then other Dometics I've seen with the "fix", no sheilds and different routing for the ice maker water line. Time will tell. The cover over the stove has the warning for heat/cracking and there isn't a vent cut into the backside of the cover (said to have been a weak spot). I asked about the vacum break for the black tank cleanout (the one accessed in the pantry that tends to leak) and the Service Mgr said they replace them with a large/long loop of hose because they all eventually leak. I'll try and post a picture after I have the unit.

The electronics appear in good shape, lots of wires though. The ones I need to worry about are labeled. Now to find a 5 year old to work the darned stuff!

Hurry up Tuesday

Old 05-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #6
WildJohn

did yours come with the Logitech all in one remote? If it didn't it is the best $100 I have spent in a long time.. took a while to download all the newest drivers and set it up but it does "do it all" I see it is standard equipment on the ES models... I only have 8 remotes on hand right now.. had the Sony VCR shoot craps the other night and went out and bought a LG DVD/VHS recorder... we will see how it works out..
good luck. I hope you have as much enjoyment with our MS as we have had so far.. 1 year and counting..
John and Annie
gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
47hook

It does have the all in one Logitech controller. I am going through all the operator manuals now. Will pick up the MS on Tuesday. I hope.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
47hook

Today was a day that I will not soon forget. Would like to. Let's just say communication problems are alive and well in this area of the country.

The unit feels lighter than our Alfa, less air needed in the Firestone Ride Rights. Will probably need to raise the Trailair CP suspension to the highest level, but ok for now. Will have to remove my Retrax bed cover because in a halfway tight turn there is almost 0 clearance with the back edge of the pinbox and Retrax bed cover rail that sits on the bed rails, which is not related to the suspension issue.

Did find one other PDI issue that I missed (I expect more as we live with the MS) and that is an apparently warped face to a lower drawer (below the refrig line).

I also missed checking off the option that included a 5th grader with that Logitech Harmony controller. It is definitely misnamed: should be Dis-harmony, will try and download updates. Ugh.

Instead of a delivery date of the 10th, it was today the 15th. Will be on the road this Friday. Oh, boy. Just lots of work to do before then, but at least we are fortunate enough to be able to do what we are doing.

Enuff on the sour grapes, back to ice cold beer!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
wingnut60
Site Team

47 hook---

You mentioned slider for your truck--do you have a short bed? Reason I ask, is I was planning on getting a Retrax cover for my Ford. Noted you said your pinbox clearance made you take the cover off. What is the clearance issue--on turns, I guess? Is it hitting from inside or on top?
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
WildJohn

there is a BIG secret to the harmony controller... run everyone off and concentrate..HAVE A HIGH SPEED CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET. SATELLITE IS TOO SLOW.(I did it on mine and it took nearly 3 hours) take it one step at a time in the instructions.. (my forte) don't shortcut anything... and also.. have a couple of cold ones handy to entertain you while you wait for the downloads.. by the time it is finished you will be thrilled that YOU DID IT... and it is impressive when you push one button and each of the components turns off in turn..I have been using mine for nearly a year and love it.. haven't learned ALL the features but it is nice.. replaced my sony VCR with a LG and it took about 30 minutes (satellite again) to set up also.
enjoy your suite ride.
JOHN
gearmaster
backup cams
3KW Honda
6V battery bank w/inverters
WildJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
47hook

Retrax: the rear of the pinbox (Trailair) comes within a whiskers distance of the rail for the retrax. Any bump or slight slope will probably make contact at about a 45 deg turn.

Harmony: loaded the CD onto my laptop, updated over the internet (high speed), then laptop crashed. Might be coincedental, but can't even reformat/delete partion/reload operating system (XP) on the laptop. Leary to get the Harmony anywhere near my desktop. Might be the hard drive died. Will have to work on it after my little trip Friday. The problem I'm having is that when I try to go into the Harmony's menu, it dumps me out. Can't access any of the setup options.

Have had a chance to start looking at the MS, love about 99% still. But, like all things made, there are some interesting "issues". Walking on the floor by the bedroom sink area and the duct work for the furnace buckles. The compartment for the water and stuff isn't really sealed off from the outside well, as is the area that the water drains/manifold is located. Will eventually seal stuff off, stabilize bedroom floor.

Enjoy.