Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
friz

Short Bed Got Me!

2004 F-250 Diesel 4 door SHORT BED. Previous truck was a Dually 4 door long bed. I could turn that truck 90 degrees to the 5th wheel without a problem. Not so with the short bed. With no one paying attention, driver (me) and spotter, I was able to crunch the corner of the 5th wheel and truck cab together while backing up. Minor damage but I am not happy. I don't believe a headache rack would have been of any use. First the ones I have seen stop at least a couple of inches short of the truck cab corners. The corner of the camper would have gone right by a headache rack. If an installed rack was long enough to intervene, it would have damaged the 5th wheel corner. Other than just being aware of what is going on, are there any alarms of any type for this situation?

Thanks, Friz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Truck Corner Damage.jpg (93.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Camper Corner Damage.jpg (64.5 KB, 6 views)

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Notanlines

Friz, without trying to sound flip, an auto-slider or your SO are the only cures I'm aware of. The damage to our F350, both corners, was $700. No damage to the Suite.

Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #3
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notanlines View Post
Friz, without trying to sound flip, an auto-slider or your SO are the only cures I'm aware of. The damage to our F350, both corners, was $700. No damage to the Suite.

No, not flip at all. But I do not understand "auto-slider or your SO". Please excuse the ignorance. I am rather new at this.

Thanks, Friz
Old 11-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Auto-sliding hitch--to avoid forgetting to watch how close you are to the cab.
SO--Significant Other? to watch when you forget....
I seem to remember a discussion on here or other forum that a headache rack would not avoid the headache....just would get the cab anyway. They are more for hanging/mounting stuff than actual protection.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:03 AM   #5
Notanlines

Yes, what Joe said. SO being the significant other; wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, etc. I'm too old to be very politically correct, but I suppose the most common would be DW or dear wife. And in my case this would be true. 47 years just last week. Also keep in mind that a headache rack would only serve to lessen the space you have between the cab and the RV. A good auto-slider hitch can be had for about $1500-1700, depending how hard you shop.
Harley Road King & sidecar
Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
No, not flip at all. But I do not understand "auto-slider or your SO". Please excuse the ignorance. I am rather new at this.

Thanks, Friz

Okay so now I understand auto-slider. That would work but I failed to mention I have a goose neck hitch. My SO is my spotter. I married her 35 years ago. She is still in training.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
amsoiltek

I have a short bed truck and I use the Pullrite SuperGlide, it works without me having to think about it. That's why I stuck with the 5th wheel hitch over going to a gooseneck. In the 10 years towing never had a cab strike. Watch the video over on PullRite's site and you too will be drinking the KoolAid!
amsoiltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse

I use a manual slider. Have to remember to slide which I didn't once. $500 deductible on insurance an a lesson learned. My used slider was $500 which was a lot cheaper than a new autoslide. Your decision. Remember to have fun
Primo Rudy's Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Dfb

Welcome to the club. We bought a 15 ram Cummins mega cab. No long beds on lots. Used Andersen ultimate hitch. 2000 miles on new truck cab met Montana.. 2000 in damage. Andersen did not offer to even help with my deductible. No more Andersen . We now have a longhorn dually aisin, 4:10, auto level.. no more issues.
Dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:58 PM   #10
pterrydactyl

I feel your pain as I was the spotter and it crunched my trucks can. Mine was worse than yours. About $3000 to repair.
We were on a narrow road that dead ended ( thanks GPS). I could have and should have slid the receiver back and then we would have been able to make the tight turn around.
The learning is painfull and expensive.
pterrydactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
friz

I appreciate all the advice especially about the auto glide. I see in my original post I failed to mention that I have a goose neck hitch and retractable ball. A thousands pardons.