Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Hanr3

Newbie 5er owner

Hello All,

I've been tent camping, backpacking for over 50 years. I started when I was 6. Now that we are empty nesters the wife wants private flush toilets and hot showers and I want to bring the boat. So we bought a 5th wheel and triple tow. Who knows, maybe we will join the full timers in a decade when I retire, if I can afford to retire.

For the next decade the plan is couples vacations around the US, might bring the grandkids a time or two. A coupe dozen in state weekend jaunts with the grandkids. Plus I run a Crappie club and enjoy tournament fishing. Also looking into some of the national tournaments. Yes, I drag the camper and boat to most tournaments and spend the weekend. Used to be a tent and boat, but the 5er simplifies things and adds heat and a/c. I start tournament fishing the first weekend in March and finish my camping season the week before Thanksgiving with deer hunting. Basically I start and end my camping season with 30 degree days and below freezing nights. Yep, used to do it in a tent. As I type this, we are getting 2"-4" of snow and tomorrow is my first fishing show of the year.

Anyway, I look forward to learning from others and share my knowledge when and where I can.
Hanr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
CoMaddMax

Welcome to the forum, I have had my 5er for 2 years and also camp in cold weather. Do you a polar package on your 5er? (extra insulation in walls floor and ceiling) I have a heated water hose and a heat tape I plug in that's wrapped around my inline water filter and pressure regulator. The bottom of my 5er is enclosed but I checked for insulation in there and there is none. I don't try to empty my black and gray water tanks when it is cold because they do freeze. Some units have tank heaters but I haven't had any issues without them. I have camped in the low 20's for several days without issue. Good luck and have fun!
2018 Chevy Duramax DRW
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Hanr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaddMax View Post
Welcome to the forum, I have had my 5er for 2 years and also camp in cold weather. Do you a polar package on your 5er? (extra insulation in walls floor and ceiling) I have a heated water hose and a heat tape I plug in that's wrapped around my inline water filter and pressure regulator. The bottom of my 5er is enclosed but I checked for insulation in there and there is none. I don't try to empty my black and gray water tanks when it is cold because they do freeze. Some units have tank heaters but I haven't had any issues without them. I have camped in the low 20's for several days without issue. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks!
Yes my camper has the Artic package, enclosed and heated underbelly. The tanks stay warm, however the tank drains and valve will freeze. I'm looking at ways to keep them thawed.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Wrap with a quality heat tape and hope you don't lose power. Also, get a heated water hose and use a slinky under the sewer hose--place the heated hose in the slinky and the sewer hose on top of it, if you want water and sewer service down to around 0d. Fixing to find out tomorrow night if this works at 0--will be that cold in Denver at Cherry Creek SP.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Hanr3

good luck. Let me know how it works.
I like the idea of the heated hose under the drain hose. clever!