Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
sfsgm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I carry a one million dollar umbrella that should take care of that.
Yup, I have two million and it covers it.

sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
dmorse68

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
If youíre RV is your only residence you need liability insurance. Progressive offers a ďfull timers policyĒ as well as auto policies and umbrella policies.
Sounds like I work there but I donít Iím just a customer.
I agree with old guy. According to my Farmers insurance agent, because I am a full timer, I needed to get a full timers insurance that covered my rig if a tree branch breaks off and damaged the roof, flood, fire, etc. The way he explained it was, it was like a renters insurance or a home owners policy, and covers my investment for when I am sitting. It costs me $135/month.

Now if I hook it up and drive it down the road, I need a separate policy for that similar to auto insurance. And he said i can call up a day before I head out and let them know how long Iíll be on the road traveling and I pay for only the days I am out towing it.

Is this what is in line with what you are told by your agents?

David.

dmorse68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
rcraft@satx.rr.com

No. When I am towing, the truck insurance covers the rig. When I am parked the full timers insurance covers me. The Umbrella is in effect at all times.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #14
rcraft@satx.rr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
I carry a one million dollar umbrella that should take care of that.
With State Farm ... to get an Umbrella, you must have "underlying" liability. So your truck is covered by the usual kind of auto insurance ... but if your trailer insurance policy (for when you are parked in a campsite) doesn't have liability, then your umbrella will NOT cover it. Too often we "assume" we have coverage only to discover when it's too late, that we don't. Check to make sure.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
OneReallyOldGuy

Hereís the breakdown of my coverages. I do not own a home or rent an apartment.
Full coverage on my truck which also extends liability coverage to my fifth wheel when Iím towing. $1048 a year.
Full timers policy on my DRV which covers liability when parked (in case Lil Billy from the next campsite runs under my fifth wheel and splits his head open on my kingpin for example). It also covers comprehensive (fire, theft etc.) collision (hitting something, tree falling on it, etc.) emergency living expense (just like homeowners) and replacement of personal effects (clothes, linens, dishes, etc. $1504 a year.
Plus an umbrella policy. Couple hundred bucks, donít remember exactly.
I get it all from the same company which should simplify things if I have to file a claim which I hope I never do.
OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
stanleyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReallyOldGuy View Post
Hereís the breakdown of my coverages. I do not own a home or rent an apartment.
Full coverage on my truck which also extends liability coverage to my fifth wheel when Iím towing. $1048 a year.
Full timers policy on my DRV which covers liability when parked (in case Lil Billy from the next campsite runs under my fifth wheel and splits his head open on my kingpin for example). It also covers comprehensive (fire, theft etc.) collision (hitting something, tree falling on it, etc.) emergency living expense (just like homeowners) and replacement of personal effects (clothes, linens, dishes, etc. $1504 a year.
Plus an umbrella policy. Couple hundred bucks, donít remember exactly.
I get it all from the same company which should simplify things if I have to file a claim which I hope I never do.

OK great. What company? Little Billie is the issue. Iíve 20 years with a fiver. I am not full time nor have I ever been. I changed to All state this year and when reviewing my policy the lack of coverage after the rv is unhooked from the truck surfaced. I called Allstate and they do not have a policy that would cover me. They also would not sell me an umbrella policy for some reason i cannot remember right now. I was with Good Sam last and they are not an insurance company, they are an agent. They sold me a National General policy and Iím pretty sure it did not cover the little Billie situation. I checked their web site recently and they offered that coverage for full timers only. So thats why I started the thread. I think a lot of RVers are without coverage once unhooked.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #17
OneReallyOldGuy

I have progressive despite the stupid commercials.
If you have homeowners insurance check and see if the liability portion extends to your camper. It seems like the insurance companies would tap that market when selling camper policies to increase profits if it doesnít.

OneReallyOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote