Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Joezilla

DRV Mobile Suites stability?

We have spent nearly 4 years in our 2012 Select Suites 38TKSB3. It has the Level UP system installed. With the 12" I-beam frame we still have to deal with feeling all sorts of movement when one is seated or laying down and the other is active in some way, walking, fixing dinner, running the washing machine.

My question is this..... on the Mobile Suites with the 15" triple stacked box frame can we expect that feeling of movement to be greatly lessened?

We have taken the plunge and ordered a 2016 Mobile Suites Atlanta. It should be ready sometime in October. Excited does not begin to describe how we feel.

Joe

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Joe,
Possibly, felt motion affects some more than others. Our '05 Suites hardly ever moves with only the front legs/rear stabilizers it has. The original top load washer never caused movement, but the new front loader can be felt when spinning the water out. It is still very stable other than the washer motion. I have heard some mention of movement on the newer units, but not often. As in any of these trailers, if one side is extended way more than the other, than that exaggerates the leverage that movement inside applies. I think you are probably worried about a non-problem. Just enjoy the new world of extra-long fivers.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Joe,
Possibly, felt motion affects some more than others. Our '05 Suites hardly ever moves with only the front legs/rear stabilizers it has. The original top load washer never caused movement, but the new front loader can be felt when spinning the water out. It is still very stable other than the washer motion. I have heard some mention of movement on the newer units, but not often. As in any of these trailers, if one side is extended way more than the other, than that exaggerates the leverage that movement inside applies. I think you are probably worried about a non-problem. Just enjoy the new world of extra-long fivers.
Joe
Joe,

Not really worrying, just interested in reports. I have zero experience with any Mobile Suites in any way other than walking through at an RV show many years ago. Hence my question.

Joe
Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
2 DA WDS

We had SteadyFast stabilizers on our 05 36RE3 and usually had zero movement. We transferred them to our 15 39DBRS3 and usually have some movement. I think it is due to the longer unit. I have heard from the longer units owners wish they had a rear stabilizer on them.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Stevencoles

Several things contribute to the stability of any fifth wheel , one thing that is often overlooked is the contact between the stabilizers and the type of surface they are on. If you are on a cement pad and are not using pads under you stabilizers you can expect much more movement than if you are using good quality pads on a grass ore gravel surface. Try "Bigfoot" pads out of Woodstock, Ill they are great. We have one for each hydraulic and also have jack stands on the rear and a king pin tripod on the front. The only issue we have is when the washer spins out, probably can't avoid that.
Stevencoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
DBL Z

With our 2015 38RSSA... all I can say is!

...I couldn't be more pleased with the stability! :thumb:

It's just been rock solid!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
tjfotenot

Blocks

I made blocks out of 6x6 treated timbers and screwed them to a 2x12x18 which made a 12x8x18 block and screwed a rope to it to carry them. I only use them on the front jacks and use 2x12x18 on the other jacks. When I don't use these blocks I can tell a big difference. If you decreased the jack travel, it creates more stability. I have a 2014.5 43' Mobile Suites Lexington. Use still have movement with the washing machine.
tjfotenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Guess I should have mentioned--I always use 2 stacked 2x12s on rear, 3 stacked 2x8s on fronts...if the rears don't have something under them, they are almost entirely extended due to the suspension being on the lowest holes. I do note movement if I forget the boards at the rear.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:17 PM   #9
Joezilla

We currently use 3 2x12x12 boards screwed together underneath all 6 jacks. I started using the boards since the rear levelers were constantly giving error messages about being out of stroke, i.e.. being extended too far. I believe my current Select Suites which has the 2" riser, did not have the rear levelers lowered, so the extra 2" is what is causing the out of stroke error messages.

The 2x12x12 boards are somewhat heavy. I would hate to try to add a 4th one on the new model. With the levelers lowered on it, I see no need to do so and probably could remove 1 of the 3 boards on each pack.

Or, if it proves to be more stable when the levelers extend less distance. I could leave the boards the same enjoy even more stability.

It should prove interesting. I can't wait to begin.

Joe