Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Joezilla

Heat problem

We pulled into the Escapees Deming, NM park for the night. Got unhooked from the truck, leveled, plugged into electricity, and sewer. It is supposed to get to 27 degrees here tonight so we did not hook up the water.

Upon entering the coach, Debbie tried to turn on the heat. Set the thermostat to 68 degrees and nothing happened. We have plenty of propane. There are no error messages on the display. Any ideas on what I can try?

Being such a small backwater town, there are exactly zero mobile RV guys to call.

Joe

Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Slow Six

There is no info as to what unit you have. Ours is a 2011 with the Dometic system. At first I had a lot of problems programming the system (old guy). First off you have to enter in the current time on the clock before the system will do any thing. You than have to program the zone(s) and program(s) 1 &2. If it still does not work after programming checks fuses and breakers etc. I'll try to check back here and see how you made out.

Slow Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

I believe Joe has a late-model Tradition. I don't know what type of control they have now, but if nothing happens, then I would suspect a loose wire somewhere.

Joe,
Guess the display has power, so there is an electrical disconnect between the thermostat and the furnace--did you take the cover off the stat and see if anything is loose?

Good luck, hoping you have some space heaters with you.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
I believe Joe has a late-model Tradition. I don't know what type of control they have now, but if nothing happens, then I would suspect a loose wire somewhere.

Joe,
Guess the display has power, so there is an electrical disconnect between the thermostat and the furnace--did you take the cover off the stat and see if anything is loose?

Good luck, hoping you have some space heaters with you.

Joe
Our unit is a 2012 Select Suites. It was probably the last SS #6011 produced.

The heater is a Suburban unit.

We have some space heaters with us and an electric blanket also. We'll be fine tonight.

What gets me is that we had heat last night in Van Horn, TX. The only thing that changed is a new location in Deming, NM.

It does absolutely nothing. I can set the temp, and normally, in about 30 seconds or so, it will come on. No click. No smell.

We have a full bottle of propane and the other is about 1/4 full. I tried switching the hose connections from one bottle to the other, nothing. I tried switching the regulator to the other side, nothing. The stove lights up fine so I know it is not the propane.

None of the fuses are bad. All are pushed in completely. I tried turning off all the breakers, and then turning them back on, nothing. I tried taking out the furnace fuse, the socket immediately lit up red. The fuse was fine. I put it back in and the red light went off.

The only thing that changed was our location from Van Horn, TX to Deming, NM.

Call me stumped.

Joe
Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Joezilla

Okay, doing our due diligence, we popped off the Dometic control panel off the wall to check for loose wires. The "wires" that are in the control panel is actually like a phone cord or a Cat 5 cord. This one wire/cord connects to the back of the control panel circuit board and then goes through a small hole into the bowels of the basement. I assume it is going to the furnace, and both air conditioners.

I also went out and closed both propane tanks for a minute or two, and then reopened them slowly. Nothing changed.

Totally stumped now.

Joe
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Okie

I had the control wire vibrate loose from the furnace control board one time that gave the same problem. you can get to it from the outside panel.

Okie
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie
I had the control wire vibrate loose from the furnace control board one time that gave the same problem. you can get to it from the outside panel.

Okie
Thanks Okie, I'll check that out in the morning.

Joe
Old 12-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Joezilla

Heat problem -- Finally solved.

I was able to get the local mobile tech guy (Continental Dave) to stop by and check out my heat problem. I had a restaurant meeting to go to so I left him to his work. He came and found me about an hour later and said it was fixed. It was the fan igniter board w/ fan relay. He replaced that and only charged $190 total. That was the part and his labor.

We really haven't needed the heat the past two weeks, but I am sure it will get into the 30's sometime here in southern Arizona so it is good to have it fixed.

When you are in southern Arizona and in need of RV service, I highly recommend Continental Dave.

Joe