Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
jas24

Automatic Satellite Dome

Has anyone replaced their Winegard crank up antenna with an Automatic
Satellite Dome on a Mobile Suites?

Wondering how much wiring etc. is need for this.

And if they work good and are compatable with Directv.

Thanks for any help.

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
The View 5046

Jack, we didn't replace but we did when we ordered our 2010 Suites have the Winguard Traveler auto system installed. In the past I alway put the Slim Line dish on the Tri-pod which wasn't a lot of problems. But I'm here to tell you when you push a button and in minutes you have front and rear HDTV, and you don't have to get wet putting up the Tri-Pod dish. We still have the bat wing auto off air Antenna. As for as wiring I don't know have the wiring was done prior to 2009. I highly recomend the Winguard Traveler system, we are using Direct-Tv for our service.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Motor31

Can't help much. I have the old style auto seek dish antenna. It is (and apparently was when I got it from DRV with the trailer in 05) obsolete and Winegard doesn't have parts for it. It also is not compatible with the newer (less than 5 years old) receivers so I have to stop the seek process manually. When it fails I'm going to replace it with a crank up dish and find the bird manually. I already have a ground mount antenna for times when we are "treed in" so I can afford t wait a while if I need to. The domes are nice in that they won't be affected by wind but I had been told they tend to have just a tad less signal strength.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
BobW

Re: Automatic Satellite Dome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas24
Has anyone replaced their Winegard crank up antenna with an Automatic
Satellite Dome on a Mobile Suites?

Wondering how much wiring etc. is need for this.

And if they work good and are compatable with Directv.

Thanks for any help.
They work great. Remember you need to park where you can see to the south. Problem in some parks, especially State Parks. Hey, will you guys trim your trees.
Direct, Dish, they all work.
Wiring. Are you doing it yourself? If not don't worry about it. If your doing the job, remember...... No splitter!
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
rotaxman

Dome

Jack

I ordered the Movin View on my 06 36TK3 it worked very well with the exception of near by trees. If there are trees on the south side of the trailer it very rarely aquires.

I removed it from my 06 and installed it on this junk 09 I have. The wiring was already installed in this 09 it was standard equipment. Although I did have to take the surround down from the skylight in the bathroom to find the wires as there were not in the vent on the roof provided for them from the factory the Amish craftsman just shoved them up in the ceiling and let it go at that typical.

You will like the auto aquiring dome its great to just turn it on and in five minutes you have tv.

I may be mistaken but I think the 06's also came pre wired for the sat dome but not positively sure about that. If yours is not it is no problem to run the wires from the dome location above the bathroom ceiling and over to the coat closet which is where the switch will be. It is money and time well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Just buy the dome and put her up there Jack you will have no regrets.

Hope this was of some help

As always good camping

Joyce and Jerry
2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
I love mine when the sky is clear and I can find an open site in a campground.
But it is fast to loose signal when it gets cloudy or rains.
I have looked for the perfect site with a compass many, many times before backing in and setting up.
It works pretty good in the southwest but when I stay in one place for a while, like the northeast, I set up a remote dish, because I loose signal very easy when the dome gets dew and/or frost on it and when there is dew or frost and clouds the dome is useless.
If you get an auto dome dish make sure you have the installer wire your suite for a remote dish.
I have mine wired so I just push two A/B switches to switch from the roof dome to a remote dish. And if I am using the roof dome I can hook up cable too if it is available. I just push the TV input on the remote to switch from satelite to cable. This works great if a storm is coming and the sat. quits or the game is blacked out on the satelite because your installation address is wrong/right for the area you are in.
I subscribe to the distant networks, New York and LA. No locals.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
jas24

dome

Thanks for the responses guys. Still trying to determine if I want to go with the automatic dome. Guess I need to find out for sure if my MS is prewired or not. Don't think it would be too much fun installing if it is not.

Thanks again

06 F-350 Lariat 4x4 V-10 CC SRW LB
06 Mobile Suites 36CK3
jas24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
The View 5046

Jack as I said we have the Winguard Traveler installed by Drv. The only time we loose reception is in heavy down pours of rain and in most cases if we change to the regular programing instead of HD we still have reception. Clouds will not cause the Traveler to loose reception. The only issue is you much have clear site of the Southern Sky. We only had to set up the Tri-pod in one RV park this year and that was in New Castle, Colorado and that was because of Trees. We try very hard to never park under or near Trees, I think trees are only a hazzard. Good Luck.....

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
BlueSkyRanch

I have had several automatic antennas over the last 10 years and the Winegard Traveler is the best one. The others frequently require software updates that can take several weeks to receive. Having said that, we are waiting for a replacement for our rig. Winegard has been very responsive to fixing the problem. Great customer service.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
hitchup

It's an expensive decision. But after living with our first Winegard Dome for over 2 years on our 2006 ES, we knew we definitely wanted another one on our 2009 MS.

Our Dome only works when stationary and does not work for HD channels on DirecTV like we originally thought. Unless it's changed, it will work on HD DishNet receivers.

We considered upgrading to HD, but it would require spending more $$$$ for the Traveler. But you are required to specify which satellite service you want. The Dome works with a flip of a few switches and can be changed out.

When we get an open RV Site, it's just a matter of turning on the box and waiting while the reciever downloads all the information. So much easier for a quick overnight stop than having to hook up cable or set up an outside dish for updates on the Evening News.

Solid Signal online has the best price we found @ $1499 vs more at Camping World.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
BlueSkyRanch

I have had my share of problems with the Traveler too. At first, it would not work on HD. Then the tech found that a HDMI cable was missing. He installed a cable and the unit worked great for 2 or 3 months. Then we started having problems with some HD channels. After being mis-diagnosed by several techs, Winegard decided to replace the antenna. By this time we had returned to Florida and they shipped a new antenna. Well, the replacement antenna was bad too. It would not go up, would not search, then would not stow. (Stop laughing) They sent another antenna and we are scheduled back in the shop next week. Every tech I talk to said that Winegard is the best antenna in the market. It either works or it does not and the customer service is great.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
matsonelite69

I have been pretty happy with my automatic dish, i have only a couple of instances where obstacles have been in the way, I carry the old tripod as well for backup. I do have a problem. The previous owner rewired the dish at the control center hookup outside, The dealership i purchased it from used a butt splice and connected to cables together, It seems and I have looked allover for it that a cable is missing. I called DRV and asked about a wiring schematic but they were not interested in helping since Iam the second owner. Does anyone have that? Or is there any such animal?
matsonelite69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
hitchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonelite69
I have been pretty happy with my automatic dish...... The previous owner rewired the dish at the control center hookup outside, The dealership i purchased it from used a butt splice and connected to cables together, It seems and I have looked allover for it that a cable is missing. I called DRV and asked about a wiring schematic but they were not interested in helping since Iam the second owner. Does anyone have that? Or is there any such animal?
I forgot to mention. In our 2006 and the 2009, to switch from outside tripod dish to roof dome, it requires switching wires to the reciever. They are in the interior entertainment cabinet. I don't know why DRV couldn't have had a switch at the Winegard box, but this might be why the previous owner had done some rewiring.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
matsonelite69

Hey David, I finally fixed it, I took a cable splitter and connected the cables to it that the dealer put together with a butt connector and stuck the input side of the splitter thru the wall plate, so now when i need to use the tripod I just connect it to that port and turn the roof mount off. I tried it and seems to work fine. The reason I had to go thru this was the 1st owner took the cable for the outside port off and I didnt find that out for several days, it took me hookin up to a neighbors dish to figure it out, I just wanted to explain why I went thru this. Thanks

matsonelite69 is offline   Reply With Quote