Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #1
Keesbuckens

boycott cities that are banning rvs outside of registered campgrounds

Does anyone know more info about Walmart and Cabelas receiving city restrictions upon allowing RV parking in the "west lot"? We have called and is confirmed in Rapid City that some "locals" appearantly have been vandalizing parked RVs at said locations by pulling the waste drains in the stores parking areas and there have been other complaints of RVs vandalized by graffiti while vehicles are idling at night. Anybody with any new insights on this?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

Have not heard anything on this--guess someone in RC does not like the idea of them staying overnight. On the other hand, many cities around the country don't allow overnight parking on retail lots, or the business itself does not.
Seems it would be a local issue, and many Cabelas are not actually in a city boundary, so it would then be a county/business issue.

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
hitchup

We were in Rapid City in late-June and never heard anything. But when I googled it, there appears to be cars involved in late-August.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...807b1654a.html

A few years ago, SUVs were being targeted in downtown DC by the Global Warming Fanatics. Don't know what "Savage" implies in SD.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
Old 09-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
Keesbuckens

This has apparently happened during this year's Sturgis rally. Some campsites were boycotted because of their involvement with pushing the issue and this appears to be the result they have came up with.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
Keesbuckens

I'm pretty sure that there wasn't near enough campsites available this year for the huge turn out during the bike rally. Walmart and Cabelas were as usual offering a service to their customers. It is obvious to me that these acts were directly motivated by greed of some local campsite owners.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Keesbuckens

KOA is directly involved with pushing this ban throughout the country. I would not personally stay at these types of parks regardless as most are basically parking lots to begin with. As a kid in the early 80s we were turned away after driving late through the night by KOA when my father didn't want to pay $35 to park for a 4 hours with no hookups. Keep in mind this was in the 80s and in the middle of winter. No one was camping in the entire campsite. That is my experience with like organizations taking the free out of freedom just so they can make a buck at the cost of childhood memories.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #7
billr

I do own a Campground also it's a KOA. Personally I don't give two hoots where you want to park your rig. If staying in parking lots is your thing then fill your boots.

There has been no initiative from KOA that we have heard of and we would have. If you are going to toss these crazy ideas out there provide a documented source otherwise you are just trolling for responses.

Some folks want a great campground when they need it, but don't want to support them. Our satisfied guests are plenty and are typically not the Walmart campers and that is just fine.

Different strokes for different folks.

No more from me here, just saying.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
porkchop

So, where may I ask, did you get all your fanticical info on this conspiracy? Or is it private info that came to you directly from the tin foil hat?

More than likely the locals are getting tired of trying to shop and having to dodge around all of the junk the "campers" have left in their wake.

If your dad not being allowed to park at the KOA for free 35 or more years ago ruined your childhood you didn't have much going for you anyway.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 09-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
MooseSuite

koa are the spots we stay. I don't have to worry about any kid pulling the black tank lever. they have to be a professional weight lifter to yank mine open, besides its locked out.

Just like the security and campground amenities.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
missourijan

There is a list of unfriendly cities to rv's that is maintained by Nick Russell, who writes the Gypsy Journal. I think it's available on his website. He only lists those cities that have ordinances or have verified info, not from the brother's sister's cousin who heard it at Kroger.
2012 Mobile Suite #5942
2012 Ford F350 Super duty
"We used to work, now we workamp"
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #11
porkchop

I think this guy is just trying to stir stuff up. He just joined and made 4 stupid, unverifable posts in a row and has not been back. Maybe Junkman woke back up?

Bill
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
Keesbuckens

Thanks for the info; and yes I was fishing for responses of others that have heard anything about vandalism. Yes it was second hand info, but a brother of a friend who was also there the morning after to see the damages is good and credible enough info source to me. That's more than I can say for most reporters on the news. Sorry for using KOA as an example of my bad experience sir. That wasn't the only experience I've had with commercial-chain campground. Just the most memorable because it was actually the first experience were bad customer services actually was an act of denying human kindness; and lets face it a general bad human behavior. As a kid everyone gets their hopes up to stay at the KOA so just keep that in mind as well; the disappointment can last a lifetime; which by the sound most of you well know. I've given them and many others chances as an adult as well with more often than not having slightly less than the best experience while tired and road-tripping. Lack of pleasant human interaction while trying to charge me for services sends me packing every time.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
Keesbuckens

Thanks again to anyone out there who actually has info on this and not personally attacking me for relaying something that has raised concerns; at least at our camp. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #14
Keesbuckens

Thanks missourijan. That is good info.

Porkchop; why are you even on here? The origin of my info is not the question. The question is whether anyone had info on vandalism during Sturgis bike rally? Which obviously you do not. So go lay your eggs in some other hen house.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
Keesbuckens

As I said before; I did not start this thread to rip on campground facilities. In fact I just got back from staying at a wonderful private facility in Custer SD. We also don't stop at Walmarts, ect and never have. However we have taken wrong turns into areas where now an RV is banned in cities. This was never that big of a deal in the past. As if trying to overcome route confusion wasn't enough; getting ticketed in said cities certainly raises a new stress level to taking the open road with our rigs. I started this thread to get info on yes a theory which has become partially apparent in my online research. As the last thing we like to see is dirty looks and citations while enjoying These great United States the way my parents and grandparents did.

I feel the need to list a blog and a published article on the subject. If you're wondering which tin-foil hat I was wearing when I came up with some of the said ideas. If you weren't afraid of unhappy customers blogging about your campsites; than you wouldn't be searching for said blogs in an effort to bully patrons for having an opinion about your services on these blog sites. Since when can't an unhappy customer blog about it? It wasn't your experience; it was mine. Whether right or wrong it has nothing to do with my childhood or which brother I get my info from.

http://roadtreking.com/finding-free-...vernight-in-rv

http://nytimes.com/2005/09/11/us/rv-...mart.html?_r=0

Bill or Billr; If you are truly a KOA owner; than this thread definitely implies that you are not an advocate for the customers that support you. "How to ruin your own Business 101" Which KOA do you own again?

Thanks,
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
hitchup

We've been fulltiming for over 10 years. Our experience with bloggers and negative posts on Campgrounds, is they all want pristine amenities, ocean views in the desert and 1970 prices because the campgrounds were all built decades ago and some never bothered to update electric or pave the roads. So I read between the lines as they are indicating the issues.

The KOA BillR owns is one of the nicer KOA's. We plan in the future to go visit, but work keeps us too busy. But we're down to counting the months until Semi-retirement, so maybe within the next two years, we can head north for a visit.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
Old 09-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Willym

Keesbuckens,

Bill's reply was very reasonable and factual. He and his wife run the best KOA that we have ever stayed at. It is pristine, and the staff make customers feel very welcome. We attended a rally there and had a great time.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:58 PM   #18
wingnut60
Site Team

Having never been to billr's KOA, but knowing what he has contributed over the years to our forums, I would stay at his if I ever make it to that part of Canada with the Suites.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
Closed Thread

Tags
boycott, cabelas, campground, walmart