Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
mwturner

Whats This Black Junk on my Beautiful Brand New Truck

I had no idea that a diesel could cover the back end with so much black soot. I took one trip from Houston to Dallas and walked around the back of my brand spanking new 3500 and about fell over. What's all this black crap all over the back in of my truck. My Uncle about busted a kidney laughen at me. he said ALL DIESELS Do That. Come on, I see a bunch of diesel trucks that dont have that soot on them unless they look about 20 years old and the old fellow driving could care less what his truck looks like. Anybody got some idea's on how to not have to wash the entire right rear end of my truck every time I take a trip. Picture this, folks come out to look at your brand new, all white, shinning chromed rimmed dually. Here it comes , stand back for the phase that makes all that polishing and waxing and cleaning worth while, "Man this is some rig, it's got the Cummings and four doors and everthing. I'll bet you can really pull something with this thing, it's beautiful and so clean. Hey, whats this black crap all over the rear end back here. Is something wrong with it. So you see my point. If Diesels do spit that soot allot of the times ,then surely someone has come up with a way to reroute that stuff so it stays off the truck and off the towables.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Cougaram

Does it smoke a lot?Mine has very very little discolouration at the exhaust area.How new is it.?Do you idle it alot?Doesn't sound right to me,this is my 4th. Cummins and had a 7.3 psd in '99.

Cougaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
cwsoules

It sounds as if you are getting incomplete combustion. I'd take it to the dealer and complain about the smoke. Mine does not smoke, except when starting up fully loaded for a brief period of time.
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
5thwheeler

I'd wait to takit to the dealer until you run a few more tanks of fuel through it bought from different locations. 1 bad tank of fuel could cause this.
5thwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
bfast54

Send a message via MSN to bfast54
I would also go with a few tank's of fuel idea, MY" cummins" don't even make my 5er dirty at all- I LOVE MY CUMMINS !!!!
Raytech IR Thermometer
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:08 PM   #6
BLARKMAN

I have 20,000 on my white 2004 and never had any black deposits on. Been to canada yellowstone and yuma this winter. A little bit on the exhaust pie, otherwise clean as a whistle. My wife would have a fit if I got
black spots on her truck. Suggest u take it back to dealer as something not rite. Can u see it when pulling a load up hills?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
JThiessen

You might need to have the excessive smoke/fuel mpg TSB done. From what I've read (on www.turbodieselregister.com), its more for white smoke on startup, but it might also apply to yours.

Have you added a performance box or any other engine mods? These will also cause more smoke than normal.

2005 Keystone Laredo 29RL
JThiessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #8
mwturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLARKMAN
I have 20,000 on my white 2004 and never had any black deposits on. Been to canada yellowstone and yuma this winter. A little bit on the exhaust pie, otherwise clean as a whistle. My wife would have a fit if I got
black spots on her truck. Suggest u take it back to dealer as something not rite. Can u see it when pulling a load up hills?
I'm still pulling the pop-up so far (Got the truck so I could go 5er shopping) and a 20ft. ski boat every once in a while. It smokes the same pulling or not pulling. It's not like a cloud of smoke comes out all the time, it's just that I might drive it four or five times during the week, you know a couple of quick trips to the store and to church and back, maybe 50 miles total then I'll pull out the hose and do my usual weekly cleaning and there will always be a light to medium light glaze of black soot starting from right behind and above the right rear mud flap and continues all the way around to about the middle of the rear license plate.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
mwturner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThiessen
You might need to have the excessive smoke/fuel mpg TSB done. From what I've read (on www.turbodieselregister.com), its more for white smoke on startup, but it might also apply to yours.

Have you added a performance box or any other engine mods? These will also cause more smoke than normal.
NO. It's still to new (4000 miles) and I've heard horror stories about folks who have added stuff onto their new trucks while there still under factory warranty. They have something go wrong and the first thing the dealer does is to try to void the warranty becuse you've modified something. I'm a little to scared to try aftermarket stuff at this point.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
JThiessen

Quote:
I'm a little to scared to try aftermarket stuff at this point.
So I'd recommend NOT doing too much reading on the TDR website. Its almost impossible to not catch the bug after being a memeber there!

Just remember that you will have some amount of soot buildup on your rear quarter panel and bumper just due to the diesel combustion process. If you feel its too much, go have your dealer check it out, compare it to one sitting on the lot if you need to.[/quote]

2005 Keystone Laredo 29RL
JThiessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
Cheryl

You can try adding an exhaust tip to your exhaust pipe making sure it is pointing down toward the road. You can get one at Camper World
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=4825&src=SRQB
It won't effect your warranty at all. My husband installed one and we haven't had any black on the truck since.

Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote