Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
OB

Holding tank level readout problems/

I have an 04, 36TK3 and am having problems with the holding tank readouts. After dumping I run the flush for the black tank and it still reads full.

Is there a fix or an aftermarket product that can be installed to correct the problems associated with the sorry type screw sensors in the tanks.
Thanks OB

04 36TK3 #1207 w/5th airborne pin hitch
OB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
rverdlm

In a word NO! Do a search on this or any other RV froum and you'll find it's been discussed a lot. To many ways that help to list here, but no solution.

2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
The only system that I've found that seems to work is the SeeLevel Gauges
[/u]http://www.rvgauge.com/[/url]
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
2 DA WDS

A lot of talk about the Geo Method on the open roads forum.
http://cbruni.googlepages.com/home
I have also heard of putting a bag of ice in fefore you take off to slosh around and knock stuff off. I bought seelevel and am getting around to installing them soon.
2011 RAM Cummins 3500 Dually
2 DA WDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
BobW

Re: Holding tank level readout problems/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB
After dumping I run the flush for the black tank and it still reads full.
Same as mine. Check to see if the wire to the screw is loose. That will make it indicate full.
2007 M2 Freightliner
2005 Wrangler
In a land of the blind, the one eyed guy is king.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
igotjam

Wow!! Only having problems after 3 years. Mine only worked for 2 months. I think you have done well!
igotjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
wingnut60
Site Team

holding tanks

While not always a pretty sight, I just look into the black tank thru the toilet opening to watch the level when I get concerned about the level. One thing wrong with my hose flusher is the nozzle is located well above the bottom of the tank (seems it would work best spraying across the bottom) and doesn't move fluid around until the level is at least 3/4 full. When hooked to a sewer, I fill the tank several times and dump while the flusher is on, then flush the toilet for a while--this sequence seems to work best on my tank. I do use a LOT of cg water to clean the tank each time we leave for another location.

And, my level indicator is not accurate at all, whether empty or full.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
morscuba

I have a buddy that swears by his method. He will dump about a 1/4 to 1/2 a box of Cascade or Electrosol dishwash powder and the bag of ice and about 3 or 4 gal of water, before he takes off down the road. Personally I don't care, my tanks have read full from day one.
Good luck
Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
sigo'suite

My sensors operate somewhat erratically, figure they must have some female hormones!!

Haven't tried it, but have read where Calgon does a good job using procedure as mentioned above using dishwasher soap. Only reason I haven't tried it is that I use Oxy Kem 2 in the black tank and don't want to input anything foreign which might harm the action of the Oxy Kem.

I use a Sewer Solution when dumping and this allows for slower discharge of the tank and I think probably the tank flusher does a better job as a result of the movement of fluids in the tank.

On gray water tank, I occasionally use some of the TST Orange Power in it when it gets about half full and then let it fill up further before dumping. That seems to help a lot. This also helps to hold down the sour odor which you can get from the gray water tank.
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
retiredchuck

re:holding tank readout problems

This is what I do and it works all the time.After I dump the black tank,I close the black tank valve and with the hose hooked up to the backflush I refill the black tank. I go to the readout and you might have two or three lights on,just keep on filling the tank on till the last light lites up and you are full.Shut the water off and open the valve.Most of the time it will cleare all the lights except for the one that states that is empty.if not do it again.the most I have done it is twice.Then I let go of the gray tank,after closing the black tank valve.The force of the tank draining after Its been refilled helps to clean the sensors. Try it .....You have to be by your sensor readout so you dont overfill your tank and have a flood in your trailer.Remember you have the vavle close to refill your tank.
retiredchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
rverdlm

retiredchuck, you're throwing away 50 to 100 gals of good water every time you do this. JMHO, but that seems very wastefull.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
Motor31

I know from everyday use that we can go 8 days on the black tank. I use the flusher on each dump. It is spraying before I open the valve and I leave it spraying the entire time. I open the valve and dump the tank, once it's empty I close the valve for 2 minutes to build up a bit of water then open the valve again. I do that twice, each time it gets about 5 to 10 gallons of water depending on water pressure and or flow rate. Then I close the valve for 20 seconds or so to put water in the tank for the next use before shutting off the flush hose and opening the grey tank. We use two loads of laundry water to flush the hose and grey tank.

Using this method the sensors stay somewhat clean but as soon as the level starts to go up a bit they go on to the 2/3 mark. So far I haven't worked up the ambition to get the after marklet sensors.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #13
morscuba

The best guage I've found is the eye-ball guage. Look down see floaters time to dump. Washin the dishes and the sink dont drain, time to dump. Of coarse the one draw back to that method when taking a shower and the shower starts filling up, the neighbors get a laugh when I run out with the towel wrapped. Dang !!! this is not a cold weather option.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
Gunship Guy

My method is very similar to what Motor31 described. I let the tank sprayer run the entire time. My gauge always shows empty when I'm done and seems to respond appropriately as the tank fills.

The MS seems to be the only trailer we've owned where the tank level gauges actually work. Up until now I never put much faith in them.
Gunship Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
gsawyer518

i use era laundry soap, about 3 cups, in a full tank and let sit for a week.
the soap will clean the grease on the sensors and freshen up the tank.
try it, you will like it!
gsawyer518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #16
sigo'suite

As Gomer would say "Suprise, Suprise!". Emptied tanks today after being in one spot since the 14th.
First time in I don't know when, both monitors show the tanks totally empty!! O Happy Day!!
Old 10-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #17
sigo'suite

H___, I knew it was too good to be true!! A perfect day ruined by the double-post gremlin!!
It's 5 o'clock somewhere, I'm outta here!!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
RGordon

Mine reads full all the time on grey water and has from day one. It has a grounded wire from sensors to the panel inside. I will run new wire someday and afraid to let dealer work on it. Might damage something else.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #19
retiredchuck

Dave and barbara I do not think I am wasting water, I mean the 50 galons that come out,come out very brown.I am not only cleaning the sensors but also the tank.very rare that I need to do it the second time.In my lifestyle I conserve water in many other ways.For all you migth known I may be using less water per month than you.But I am making good use of the water,it still comes out very brown.the wall of the tank probally still hads alot of slugde on it.The water helps clean it and the sensors.there are many other ways people waste water without purpose.Getting rid of bacteria in my tank is not wasting water.Also I am not fulltime so this is not done often.
retiredchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
lfbean

I have just the opposite problem.....my lights seem to never go up.....used the black tank for 8 days and still reads E.....any ideas?
Thanks

lfbean is offline   Reply With Quote