Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
Motor31

Dodged a bullet

The other day as we were checking in at the HDT rally another couple driving past told me we had a flat tire on the drivers side of the trailer. I went and looked and sure enough the front left tires was almost flat. I checked the temperature of the sidewall and it was just as warm as the good tire next to it. It had failed as I was pulling into the lot. Had this tire blown on the road I would likely have lost the sewer pipe, propane line and electrical cables that are all routed together just in from of that tire. Silly design to put all of that right there inside the wheel well and less than a foot from the tire.

Since there was a tire store on the corner of the campground I filled the tire and drove the rig over there. They swapped out the tire for the spare. They also found 2 damaged spots on the inside sidewall. This is the side facing the interior of the trailer where you have to crawl underneath to see anything. One of those spots had a small hole that penetrated causing the tire to go flat. no other damage at all to the tire and if the hole had been in the tread would have been easily repaired. The Goodyear distributor in town stated this was due to damage and not a problem with the tire. End result, $230 for a new tire mounted.

Two things here, first look your tires over on both sides for dings and problems. Secondly the tire distributor in Wichita keeps a steady supply of the G114 17.5" tires as he has some commercial customers in the area that regularly buy from him.

(I'll post the name, address and phone number of the distributor / tire service center that has them later on.)

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Motor31

Here is the name and other info from the Goodyear tire center.

Nebraskaland
Kansasland Tire Group
5941 Air Cap Dr.
Park City, KS 67219
316-744-0401

www.thetirestore.com
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote