Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
layne

replace fireplace in 2007 ES

We have the 2007 ES with 23" fireplace--twin star brand. On light comes on, but nothing else so Steve and a buddy took it out. Not easy since it was wedged too tight by the marble piece at the top. It is be covered by extended warranty I think--anybody else have this problem with the fireplace. We use it a lot for heat since we are not in real cold temps. I think it should have been easier to get out, but lots of pulling, bending and cussine before it came out. No way to unplug until it's out since it plugs into the back wall behind it. BTW, the sub wuffer thing for the surround sound is back behind it. Guess that's as good a place as any, but we'd never known it was back there.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
billr

Not sure if ours is the exact same brand, but I just fixed it for no heat. Once out, the top comes off with screws around the back and sides. It had a wire that broke off the terminal to the heater element. I soldered it back and good as new.

If you can carry out some tests with a multimeter and you don't find any broken wires, do an ohms check (with unit unpluged) through the heat element to see if it has an open, it should have continuity. If it is open, then just need a new element. If the element is OK, then see if you get voltage to the element when selected on to check the switch and thermostat. Will have to plug in for this.

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
the sub wuffer thing for the surround sound is back behind it
Just a tip:
You way want to turn the knob on the back of the sub-woofer down while you have access to it. Us older folks don't need all that bass. I still keep my woofer turned on for the surround effect but I have the volume levels way down.
2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
layne

thanks for the tip on the sub woofer--we haven't enjoyed the surround sound because it's too muffled when watching movies--we hear the music and other sounds, but can't understand when people talk. Maybe turning down the bass is the trick!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
RGordon

I removed the fireplace and moved the subwoofer into the next compartment so that I can have access to the controls. It was vibrating the fireplace when it was being used. I made a small hole through the wall into the next compartment and ran the wires, the bass sound is much better and door can be opened for cleaner bass sound.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Huck

Send a message via ICQ to Huck
Quote:
thanks for the tip on the sub woofer--we haven't enjoyed the surround sound because it's too muffled when watching movies--we hear the music and other sounds, but can't understand when people talk. Maybe turning down the bass is the trick!
You maybe able to run the "test tone" and turn the volume on the sub-woofer down and turn the center speaker up to here the voices better.
That is assuming you have a Sony amplifier.

2005 RE3 MS #2163
2006 F-350 CC 4X4
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote