Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Field Trip

Cheapheat???

We are full timing now in our 2016 ES Houston! With winter coming, we are considering adding Cheapheat to our unit. Thoughts?

Field Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
Cummins12V98

We ordered our 39TKSB3 from Alicia at Rolling Retreats the first week of January. It was COLD at their lot with the temps in the teens. We went inside their shop that was at least 32 degrees and went inside of a new 38' with the cheap heat to sit down and talk some details of our order. She turned the Cheap heat on and within a few minutes the chill was off and very warm within minutes after.

That sold us on it! Cheap, no it isn not! But when at a RV park and power is provided I sure don't want to waste my TIME or money filling propane tanks. Will it pay off? I really doubt it. Sometimes in life it's nice to have what you want!

I am sold on it!!!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn Dually Air ride Aisin 4:10's

2016 MS 39TKSB3 "Highly Elited"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Joezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
We ordered our 39TKSB3 from Alicia at Rolling Retreats the first week of January. It was COLD at their lot with the temps in the teens. We went inside their shop that was at least 32 degrees and went inside of a new 38' with the cheap heat to sit down and talk some details of our order. She turned the Cheap heat on and within a few minutes the chill was off and very warm within minutes after.

That sold us on it! Cheap, no it isn not! But when at a RV park and power is provided I sure don't want to waste my TIME or money filling propane tanks. Will it pay off? I really doubt it. Sometimes in life it's nice to have what you want!

I am sold on it!!!!!
Now you have got me thinking we need Alicia to add Cheap Heat to our Atlanta when it comes in! I don't know if I can convince the wife we need it though. I may have to make an executive decision. ha

Joe
Joezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
Kerry

I have a 2015 MS Dallas 43'. I have the Cheap Heat and love it. Between it and the electric fire place, use very little PPG.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #5
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezilla View Post
Now you have got me thinking we need Alicia to add Cheap Heat to our Atlanta when it comes in! I don't know if I can convince the wife we need it though. I may have to make an executive decision. ha

Joe
Just do it!!!

The first time she hits the thermostat and it's warm in minutes she will thank you.

No little heaters trying to keep the place regulated is really nice!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
TeresaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

I am sold on it!!!!!
Is "Cheap Heat" also known as a heat pump A/C? (where the heat pump runs on electricity and pulls the warm air from outside, to heat the unit) Just wondering if it is the same thing, because my understanding of a heat pump is that it will only heat when the outside air is 40 degrees or higher.
TeresaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
Kerry

Cheap Heat is not a heat pump. It is a heat strip set up added to the furnace. A switch selects electric or gas.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
TeresaB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Cheap Heat is not a heat pump. It is a heat strip set up added to the furnace. A switch selects electric or gas.
Ok. Thanks. Would you happen to know if it is less expensive than a heat pump A/C option?
TeresaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaB View Post
Ok. Thanks. Would you happen to know if it is less expensive than a heat pump A/C option?
I have never gotten an answer to how much more a HP/AC unit is than just a regular AC unit. The HP only works down to about 37 degrees.

Bottom line the CheapHeat will work in COLD weather. Well worth the extra cost to me.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
stanleyz

Darn, I can't imagine why my RV site rent keeps going up. Trust me, someone is paying for the "cheap" heat. We all are.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
Darn, I can't imagine why my RV site rent keeps going up. Trust me, someone is paying for the "cheap" heat. We all are.
Amazing comment. So you think those cute little electric space heaters don't use any power????????????????

Old 09-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #12
stanleyz

No, no I'm not. Those things are the worst. I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just trying to make readers of this thread aware that there is a down side to electric heat. Electric bills are a big driver of camp ground rates and the recent tendencey to go to electric heat is causing those costs to rise. When someone says "use the electric, it doesn't cost anything" they need to realize that in the long run it does cost. That's all I'm saying.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
porkchop

My cute little electric heater cost $39, and is very quiet. How much did your cheapheat cost? Does it make any noise?

Bill
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #14
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
My cute little electric heater cost $39, and is very quiet. How much did your cheapheat cost? Does it make any noise?

Bill
Like I have said before at this time in our lives it's not about money! The furnace is still a furnace and it is not any louder with "Cheap Heat" VS propane.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
Cummins12V98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
No, no I'm not. Those things are the worst. I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just trying to make readers of this thread aware that there is a down side to electric heat. Electric bills are a big driver of camp ground rates and the recent tendencey to go to electric heat is causing those costs to rise. When someone says "use the electric, it doesn't cost anything" they need to realize that in the long run it does cost. That's all I'm saying.
I understand!

Old 09-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #16
chevman

we heat our rv with a 7" square electric heater but the furnace in the early morning for a faster warm up. we saved for comfort.

chevman