Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Red Fox

Need Banks Speedbrake & Power Pack critiques!

Can anyone tell us about the Banks Power Pack and Speedbrake for a 2006 6.0 F-350 with tow boss package? We have been looking for a way to add to torque and slowing capacity and believe this system may be it. I spent some time on the phone with a Banks rep and this is what he recommended for our needs (total 27,700 weight with our Elite Suites), especially for mountain driving next summer. Go to www.bankspower.com (enter website at bottom, click on diesel trucks ford on left, click on 03-07 Ford 6.0, click on Power Pack System for the first product recommended, and then come back and click on Banks Speedbrake for the second product) if you are not completely familiar with the products – the speedbrake is pretty new and is replacing the exhaust brake they sell. I realize their job is to sell me as much as they can, but the rep said in order for the speed brake to work well and protect the longevity of the engine, the items in the power pack would be needed for many reasons. We were considering a performance chip, and the power pack does the same thing plus. I am impressed with the downhill testing they did and the difference of slow down of over 60MPH between the Banks speedbrake and the competitors/stock. Anybody have experience with these products?

Red Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
wingnut60
Site Team

I won't get into the weight situation with your 350--I had one and certainly understand why you want improvement in those areas. Are you out of warranty on the engine--if not, the power enhancement will probably void what you have left.
I can tell you that if you 'chip/tune' the engine, and even if you only use the towing mode, you will probably stretch the head bolts, leading to head gasket failure. 27K+ is a lot of gross weight for a 6.0, even if you have the Tow Boss option.
Can't address the value of the brake addon--but I never had to replace the pads/rotors on my '07 dually after 95400 miles of driving/towing with the same gross weight.
Joe

2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Red Fox

Thanks, Joe. I have kind of come to the conclusion that adding an exhaust brake without the tuning chip is a better option and will at least get us slowed down on the declines. I don't know what to do about the inclines. Did you take your load/350 to the Rockies? If so, how did it fare? We are going up through CA on I-5 to Seattle rather than through the Rockies themselves, then from Seattle to Boise. Always on interstates. Not sure what we will run into and been avoiding this for 3 years, but have family out there!
Red Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
wingnut60
Site Team

Red Fox,

Email me direct at joejd @ aol.com and I will pass on my stories about my last 2 6.0 350s.

Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote