Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
Campingnownthen

Just bought my first 5th wheel!

Hi all! I’ve been camping on and off my whole life. Started with tent camping, moved to a popup, then a 21’ tow behind. Hadn’t camped for close to 10 years and decided to jump in with both feet I’ve done much research on hitches, pinboxes etc. Talked to a bunch of people in the industry and not one person gave me the same info. So confused as to what hitch to buy and if my truck will tow the RV easily. So here’s what I have so far:
Towing with a 2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3. It is a short bed (5.5’) has 10 plys, (not sure that matters). I just bought a 2014 Springdale, box is 28’ but overall length is 31’ 3” and dry weight is 7400lbs. So far, I have a Reese Pro series 16k stationary hitch ordered along with a Sidewinder pinbox, and yes, it will fit the RV. So now for my question. Am I still going to have issues turning? Will I have issues pulling this RV? What if I take it out west?
I’m super excited to get back out there again, just don’t want any major issues before we get started.
Any additional info is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Campingnownthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 AM   #2
Notanlines

Camping, I can think of absolutely nothing that seems to be correct in your TV. This setup will give you grief from the first turn. Your little Chevy was not built to tow ANY sort of fifth wheel. Pin weight? Cargo capacity? Any reason the dealer didn’t at a bare minimum put a cheap auto slider in your Chevy. Any thought of heading out west needs to be shelved until you trade for a truck. Am I blunt? Yep, but truthful.

Notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #3
wingnut60
Site Team

Gross weight? take 20% of that and figure for pin weight on rear axle. Then go weigh your truck AS LOADED for camping. What is rear axle rating? What is cargo rating?
As Notanlines has mentioned, you are going to struggle with this setup. Does your truck have P tires or LT tires? Tow package?
You got conflicting info previously because there are many like you trying to get by with not enough truck.
Be careful and cautious as you learn how the setup tows--afraid you may not like it.
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
Campingnownthen

Thanks to you both for the info. I’ll be doing more research. ��
Campingnownthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Waldo Camper

I would recommend going to fifthwheelst.com/ to see how your truck stacks up to the camper weight you have.
Waldo Camper is offline   Reply With Quote