Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Free To Roam

Dometic Fridge

2010 Mobile Suite, trouble with Dometic Fridge.
Chases outside temp. Starts out in AM around 33 dg, as day goes by, and warms, the fridge temp follows, eventually getting to 44 by sundown. Stays in 40's until late at night, 2 to 3 AM, then creeps down to low 30's by 7 or so in the morning. Dometic replaced the cooling unit, still doing same.
Doors fit so poorly, inside box is bathed in sweat, fins will become iced, but box temp rises, reguardless. Ice cream melts in freezer, any other products in the freezer may become partially thawed, definately not good for meat products. Service facility says this is all normal...
I just don't think so, what do you think...
Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
ponch

Send a message via AIM to ponch Send a message via MSN to ponch
make sure that BOTH of your fans are running.

Mobile Suites 2005 36CK3 #2307 w/ auto levelers/ phase 2
Air Safe Hitch
HD TV in the basement and living room and bedroom
HD MOTO SAT Auto Ant on roof
pressure pro
ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
john

ref

Sure not normal.....sounds as if you need a new service person....
Old 05-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Motor31

Poor seal at the doors is a major problem The fridge can't cool the entire trailer. Get that part fixed asap. I also second the suggestion about a new repair facility. That's a bogus line they handed you.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
Free To Roam

Understand all the above. Fans are running, Bill's RV appliance of Elkhart did a replacement of the cooling unit two days ago.
Yes, the seals are a joke! There are no re-engineered seals avaliable, and these do not seal at all. Factory says it is all I get.
Thing is, I know of other folks that have same fridge, and it works fine. This particular one seems to be a piece of junk.
I called Bills this morning, 8 sharp, only to be told there were NO service personnel avaliable until Monday, imagine that, a service provider, and no service personnel. Sure could not run my business that way!
Appreciate the input, we have addressed all the concerns, now just going to have to squalk like all get out to get the factory attention.
Funny, after 3 attempts to diagnose the problem, Dometic said the fridge was installed wrong, and, they were not going to fix it!
You can imagine how Ryan reacted to that statement of extreme stupidity.
At his intervention, they finally called me, and agreed to replace the cooling unit, but, like I said.....still does not work..
Thanks again...
Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
rdunk

I don't know anything about the 2010 fridge, but I did have the same problems with a 2005 Dometic fridge, including warranty replace of the cooling unit, which didn't help either.

One thing you might do, if your fridge has a thermister on the cooling fins ......... unplug the thermister from the electronics board on the back of the fridge. When the thermister is unplugged, the fridge supposedly cools at maximum. If the fridge then stays cold, you probably have a bad thermister. That turned out to be my problem.

Otherwise, replace that Dometic POC with a residential fridge, if you are usually parked with hook-ups!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Free To Roam

Thanks for the thermistor info.
It was one of the first things changed, made no difference. Drat!
I am leaning toward your suggestion on the residential model, however, I too bought the extended warranty, so, I think I will continue to hound them for that "extended" period of time.
The more input I get from this post, the more I am convinced the unit is just plain defective.
Thanks again....
Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
wingnut60
Site Team

Are you currently in the Elkhart area, or in FL? How did Bills in Eklhart do the work?
Is yours the 4-door or the 2-door side x side?
Can't make it without a good fridge--did it EVER work correctly? I don't understand the doors not sealing--sounds like the entire unit has been twisted.
Suggest you work with Ryan to get an entire new unit with you/Dometic/DRV sharing the cost?
Over the years hearing about Dometic, their backup service sure is the pits.
Joe
2005 TK3 #1869, 10 yrs of memories,
2017 F450 KR--one more Ford is it
2009 F450 4x4-died; 2010 F450-retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
john

ref

On a 2010 unit I don't fell he should have to share in any cost. Maybe Paul can check it out.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Free To Roam

We are in Indiana now, will be here on and off most of the summer.
No, this fridge NEVER worked right, and I noted it when we picked up the unit when we bought it in Florida a year ago March.
No, I don't intend to share the cost of anything, was hoping to find someone who had been down this path with Dometic, and, had a successful resloution.
Today, this box is dripping moisture down the inside of the doors, while the cooling fins are covered with ice, obviously a seal issue. You guys might be right, it could have been twisted, or dropped???
I don't fault Bills, they are only doing what Dometic is directing them to do, I really think Dometic is wholly responsible.
Will write Ryan, have a warming note in his Monday morning inbox!
He is good to intervene, I really think it will come to a resolution, despite the efforts of Dometic to duck the issue....
Stay tuned, I will update as I get service, or no service as the case may be.
I will be away for a couple weeks, so update will be later coming.
Appreciate all your input, confirms what we thought all along, this is a defective unit.
Thanks again...to all
Old 05-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
wingnut60
Site Team

I have never understood the mindset of companies who duck responsibility in every way to stand behind their product. The recall on the burner units in Dometic fridges may be the pinnacle of their efforts to not make things right--proven potential for fires and all they did is provide a shield to supposedly keep the fire from spreading.

Several RV publications have tech columns/warranty columns that show some companies usually only cough up money/repairs when faced with embarassing publicity. As Clark Howard says: "Customer N0-Service Department."

You would thing Dometic themselves would be interested in what is wrong that they can't fix it in prior attempts. Simplest course would be a replacement unit and a satisfied customer, right?

Makes me happy that my SxS is still working well--fingers crossed.

Joe
Old 05-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
Free To Roam

Couldn't agree more. Clark calls them like they are!
This is the 4 door model, I have disconnected the water-in-the-door feature again, second time. Don't need another flood!
Two weeks ago, late in the evening, the water dispenser came on,full force, and I could only shut it off by pulling the relay wire. (wife has so much stuff under the sink, no time to locate possible valve,)
The box sweats so bad, due to the poor seals, it caused a failure in the activation switch for the water feature.
What a hoot!
To think they actually charge big bucks for this appliance, and get by with it!
Ryans' mail box is full, will have to wait until Monday to shoot him a heads up.
Thanks to all...again..and again...and..again...
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
wingnut60
Site Team

Feel for you--livin is bad without cold beer!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Free To Roam

Say it ain't so!!!!
Gloom-doom-and misery on me!
Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #15
RonS

Does anyone know the brand and model of a residential unit which will fit in the hole of single door frig.
06 MS 36TK3 #2473 w/(Phase II)side to side levelers, Trailair pin box w/Tri-Glide plate.
2011 Dodge 3500 CC 4x4 Diesel DRW Power Tuner guages etc
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Jimfla

The ref. that I had installed in my 2011 is a whirlpool they are sold at lowes they work great model # is etomsrxtb00 the only modification I had to make is 1/4 inch off of one side fits perfect looks great I have the block one
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
RGordon

I just ordered a new residential fridge (Samsung RF197ACBP) which is black and can be ordered in stainless also. It will fit where my Dometic Model 1292 side by side was. It also requires that I loose my drawer under the fridge, because of the increase in height. This model is the french door design with pull out freezer drawer at bottom. My old Dometic fridge failed with everything working properly and only had to remove from unit, turn upside down overnight then uprighted, plugged in and has been working in garage for over a month. I might add it has worked better than ever, just by turning it over and letting chemicals regroup. I never liked the original fridge, always having defrost issues and knowing what I know now, never trusting it again. The Samsung is larger and going from 12 cu ft to 18 cu ft will make a huge difference.
2007 Mobile Suite 38RL3 #3698
RGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #18
Free To Roam

I looked at Lowes on-line page, as well as Home Depot, and Mennards.
For my use, Lowes had what would be a fit for the double, but, all the stores carried a wide variety on line, more than I saw in the store. If you are close to one of these stores, you might look, or , at least look on line..
Tomorrow starts the great stare-down with Dometic...stay tuned....
Thanks to all...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
Pat L.

Dometic has got to be the worst company to deal with. They do not want to talk to you, only e-mail. Had the fans replaced in mine and they are noisier than the original ones. Duh - Nice move on my part! Mine sweets inside the freezer but stays at 34*. Good luck and keep us posted.
Pat L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #20
Free To Roam

Totally understand, and agree. Actually I would prefer E mail, it makes a nice paper trail of evidence if I have to take them to a local small claims court!
I called the service facility that did the change-out, yesterday, waiting for them to call back. I will wiat a few days, then lean on coach manufacturer to lean on them!
That leaning process worked before, stay tuned...still sweating, profusly!
Thanks to all...