Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #21
Motor31

Keep in mind that there are places you cannot tow another trailer behind the DT. I believe PA is one of them. Some folks on the escapees site have already found out when they were stopped. I didn't keep track of the thread since I don't tow double. If you are towing a second trailer rather than a 4 down vehicle you might have a hard time getting around with the entire rig.

2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
sigo'suite

This may be of interest to some.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm

sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:20 AM   #23
JohnandMarla

Although we have been reading this forum for quite sometime, this is our first time commenting. We too are looking at options so we take our Honda Goldwing motorcycle with us when we begin full timing this fall.

From the get-go we wanted to take our motorcycle with us. We researched RVs for 1.5 years before purchasing our MS. One of the many reasons we purchased a MS is because we felt the frame is better than most 5th wheels which would allow us to pull a motorcycle.

We have also been researching our options on how to take our motorcycle with us. We have known from the beginning that many states do not allow triple towing. Our conclusion was to find a way to pull the Motorcycle in the states that we could and the states we can not we will disconnect the motorcycle and one of us will drive the rig set up and the other motorcycle.

Although this is a little inconvenient, the thought of not taking the motorcycle is very disheartening. Our plan is to drive from state to state and to stay for a long period of time in one or two places within that state. We would travel around on our motorcycle from this area. This means that it is only a matter of driving the motorcycle and RV separately short distances at a time to our RV spot.

We have researched our options and have come up with three options. First there is a Blue Ox carrier that has one wheel that tracks well behind the RV. Website is:
http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SC2.htm

Another option is a motorcycle trailer that folds up when not in use. One could just fold it and put in the back of the truck when not using it. We are still researching this option as we want to be sure it will handle a Goldwing. They say it will. Website is:
http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/mot...r_stinger.html

The third options is using a light weigh trailer that will carry the motorcycle but when the need to disconnect the motorcycle comes into play-the motorcycle could then pull this light weight trailer. We are not keen on this option, but are still investigating it.

Hope this information helps those of you that are looking to take your motorcycle along with you. If any of you have any other suggestions or comments we would be love to hear them!

J and M
2006 36TK3
2006 Chevy 3500 Duramax Dually
Fulltiming Starting Sept 07

Carpe Diem-SEIZE THE DAY!
JohnandMarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #24
RRman

Why not a Toyhauler?

I understand the devotion to Doubletree and that Toyhaulers have only recently become prevalent, but wouldn't trading in for a Toyhauler be the "easiest" solution for 1 or 2 motorcycles?
Understand all have their preferences and this changes the discussion a little...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #25
djo

I believe we looked at every toyhauler trying to like one for our full-timing lifestyle and there was nothing out there we liked. We love our MS and even love our little cargo trailer. Someday someone may make a quality toyhauler with full-timing in mind.
2006 Mobile Suite 36TK3 #3052
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel
2007 Harley Heritage
djo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #26
RustyJC

The interiors of the toyhaulers I've seen tend to be a little, shall we say, basic as compared to our MS. I guess some of us would like to have our cake and eat it too, if that's possible.

Rusty
2004 DoubleTree Mobile Suites 36RE3 #1291
2002 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins HO/6-speed
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #27
JohnandMarla

You are not going to believe this-after posting our previous comment on the options we were looking into to pull our Honda Goldwing, we have decided to not take the motorcycle with us. We spoke to Kent at Doubletree and he told us the MS should pull no more than 125 lbs. tongue weight or the consequences could mean the frame could shift/bend enough that the slides would stop working correctly. We are very disappointed but we are not willing to take the risk of damaging our "HOME". We have decided the best thing would be to rent a motorcycle when we feel the need to ride.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #28
bstark

JohnandMaria:

Whoa there! If Kent specifically said "tongue-weight" and not GVWeight, don't be too quick to discount the cargo trailer idea. I had a Continental Cargo fully enclosed, drop rear door ramp trailer that had a single axle "torq-flex" suspension system that was also completely aluminum framed that, while somewhat more expensive, gave me enough load carrying ability due to the trailers light weight and no where near 125lbs tongue weight (vertical weight of trailer tongue at hitch) fully loaded with Harley Ultra and riding gear.

I was able to use a crank down jack with a larger wheel on the "A" frame and move that trailer by hand on a level surface fully loaded when needed. We double towed a 36' Cedar Creek with an 02 duramax crew cab long box for a total length of 72' and had relatively little problem with D/W performing driving duties as well. The legality and safety were quite another thing however and we opted for another method when retirement loomed.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #29
rverdlm

I think Kent was speaking about the little hitch they put on the back that is basically for carrying bicycles. If weight of 126 lbs would bend the frame then I guess my wife and I should stop doing our exercises in the living room.
2005 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #2338
MorRyde IS 8K axles, LazyBoy recliners, LCD tv
Full time since '96
rverdlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 AM   #30
Motor31

The bicycle hitch mount that was factory "installed" on our trailer was supposedly rated for a max of 350 Lbs IIRC. I doubt the welds would have held but the hitch was rated for it.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #31
Burgener_chris

This may be an option

http://www.ourlocalguide.com/motorcy...le_carrier.htm
Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #32
JohnandMarla

Our discussion with Kent was specifically regarding tongue weight. We made sure he knew we were not talking about bicycles. Bottomline, Kent reiterated that the 5th wheel was not built to pull a motorcycle such as ours. As we see by this forum it can and is being done by many, there is no doubt that it can pull it but the question remains-will it cause problems in the future. Everyone must decide for themselves if they are willing to chance that with their RV. We have decided that we are not willing to take the risk. Going forward as we hear from other folks pulling motorcycles and the way they do it, we may change our mind. Thanks everyone for your input!