Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 06:32 AM   #21
billr

FWIW, I am no big fan of Lippert stuff, but good luck these days finding a single RV without some sort of Lippert components. They own a bunch of the smaller companies including Dexter. Even good ol NUWA has some Lippert slide units in their units. That shocked me when we toured the factory in KS last Oct.

Since Lippert supplies frames to the majority of tow behinds we will be stuck with it. NUWA excepted. Which I really liked their build. We will be looking at the NUWA very hard when the time comes to change out. Price may win out though as they are a good deal more out the door after discounts than the DRV (similar equipment). I do like the Big Foot leveling they offer and a few other build ideas. But I also like several of the things DRV does that NUWA doesn't.

Find the one ya like and go for it. Its only $$ haar!

Bill

05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
rotaxman

Lippert

Hey Joan and Bill,

How are you all doing?? Good I hope.

I agree Bill I'm no fan of Lippert or Dometic both company's produce very very poor quality components.

I talked with Ed Downs I believe that's his name at the Kc Rv show about NuWa making a mistake and using some Lippert frames on some of the Hitchhikers and Champagne's.

He told me that NuWa had tired quickly of Lipperts poor quality and they were sent packing. He also told me that the Young's frames were not cheap.

I responded that I would be willing to pay more to get more as I had one of those junk Lippert frames under my 09 Mobile Suite.

You are correct about Lippert buying out everyone when you have a poor product like Lippert or Dometic you have three choices either you start building a quality product, you go belly up or you buy out your competiiton.

In the case with Dometic and Lippert they buy out the other guys and continue on building poor quality products.

As always good camping
Joyce and Jerry

2000 F 450 V10
5.38 gears trailer special
Automatic 4R100
20000# Reese Hitch
Trail Air Suspension and Pin Box with Tri Glide
Honda 4500 ex
Hughes Internet
Garmin 2720 talking GPS
Pressure Pro
Junk frame 2009 38TKSB3 #4750
rotaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
chevman

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
FWIW, I am no big fan of Lippert stuff, but good luck these days finding a single RV without some sort of Lippert components. They own a bunch of the smaller companies including Dexter. Even good ol NUWA has some Lippert slide units in their units. That shocked me when we toured the factory in KS last Oct.

Since Lippert supplies frames to the majority of tow behinds we will be stuck with it. NUWA excepted. Which I really liked their build. We will be looking at the NUWA very hard when the time comes to change out. Price may win out though as they are a good deal more out the door after discounts than the DRV (similar equipment). I do like the Big Foot leveling they offer and a few other build ideas. But I also like several of the things DRV does that NUWA doesn't.

Find the one ya like and go for it. Its only $$ haar!

Bill

HH has had lots of bedroom slide problems from the Lippert install.
chevman
Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
billr

Re: Lippert

[quote="rotaxman"]Hey Joan and Bill,

How are you all doing?? Good I hope.

Great Jerry, thanks! Hope you are both well too! We are in the middle of a busy season here at the KOA in Sault Ste Marie. Lots of folks on the road this year. Had some MS in early on and have had some HH in this week. They seem to enjoy the HH very much.

Its a real crap shoot to get a quality unit. You just never really know. I hope you can get all your issue sorted and enjoy the unit.

We are into another roof structure repair with our 05 MS. Stuff happens I guess.

Cheers,
Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #25
The Spices

Hello George, Jerry, et al;

As Jerry knows, we are familiar with this subject area. The frame on our 2010 MS went south on the 1st trip out in early 2010. I brought it to Paul Cross (who else!) and after a considerable period of time - NOT Paul's fault, Lippert came tp Paul's shop and made a frame repair. They welded plates on the inside of the frame rails. We are now back at Paul's with similar issues. Lippert has come back out and welded more on the frame. We also have exterior wall delamination issues - Paul will be repairing those. I will make a post in the future to let you know how we made out with DRV and Lippert on these problems.

Herb

Former - 2010 MS 36RS3 w/ MorRyde IS and pinbox, Mag susp., Level Up plus a number of custom mods. 600 watt AM Solar
2012 F450 King Ranch with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion, Trailsaver
The Spices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Motor31

Herb,

I'm curious. How is DRV handling the situation regarding the repairs now that you are out of warranty? I can understand the idea of declining anything that could be construed as "fair wear and tear" repairs, but delamination and frame issues are something else. Are they covering the cost of repairs, giving you a discount on it or just smiling while they take your money to fix their mistakes?

So far, knock on wood, the only frame issue we have had in our 05 was the lack of welds on the shock mounts. About 15 minute total labor with a competent welder took care of that but that was still while we had the then 2 year warranty on the rig. Once the warranty was up they didn't want to hear from us and we ended up taking care of things like the improperly mounted windows and broken slide roller ourselves.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
The Spices

We are still under the structural warranty so the repairs are being covered. And I am still talking with DRV on a few things so I will not pass judgment on them yet. They have treated us well in the past and we expect the same this time! I read with interest the post about them hiring a couple people to improve quality control - that would be a good move!

Former - 2010 MS 36RS3 w/ MorRyde IS and pinbox, Mag susp., Level Up plus a number of custom mods. 600 watt AM Solar
2012 F450 King Ranch with Classy Chassis hauler bed conversion, Trailsaver
The Spices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
boobytrap

Quality ??

Sounds to me like they are going from bad to worse ! Why do you think there are 12'000 posts mostly with problems !!!!
I have a 05 RE-3 that is still under WARRANTY !!! YES !!! Warranty because they can,t fix it . Now they won,t even answer my e-mails. I can't see them
staying in business now without Tom Peck.
They did so much work on my frame that they had to put 8000 lbs axels on it.
Also , the hitch part of the frame up inside the trailer broke loose and I
didn;t know it. They, Lippert and DRV had me go to a repair shop in California
and have it repaired and now the screws come out of the front cap when driving down the road and the bedroom floor is coming apart. The shop in Ca. was suposed to fix the floors in both LR and kit.slides but didn.t. They are both coming apart. I could go on and on and on ! I wouldn't but DRV if you don't live
within a 100 miles of the place. By the way.... they took it back to the factory
( from Wa. St.) and had it there 2 months and when it came back the first time I opened the slide , it broke !

LOL
boobytrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #29
Maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry and jo
Carriage's problems were with financing with their bank. If they had secured more financing, I don't know why they wouldn't have used their old name. What I did here at one time, but cannot recall where or from whom, some of the people who worked for Carriage either went to another company or started their own.

If they started their own, I'd have to want to know what the skills of the people were that started the venture. In other words, were the former Carriage workers able to fill positions in every aspect of design and construction? If not, there could be flaws in either design or construction.

Terry
Terry,
EverGreen is starting a new division, which is the high-end fifth-wheel division (Lifestyle Luxury RV). They hired several key Carriage people.

Link: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/11/ca...w-rv-division/
I'll be surprised if they make it. Some time when you hire, "KEY" people. they end up not so "KEY"!
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
terry and jo

Terry,
EverGreen is starting a new division, which is the high-end fifth-wheel division (Lifestyle Luxury RV). They hired several key Carriage people.

Link: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2011/11/ca...w-rv-division/
I'll be surprised if they make it. Some time when you hire, "KEY" people. they end up not so "KEY"![/quote]

Time will tell on that one, and just to touch base on a brand mentioned back in July, Nu-Wa may be very close to going out of business. They are stopping production with October 1 (just a few days back) being the last day to be able to order one. The second news story below says September 15, but on another forum (RV Dreams) someone mentioned and posted the text of an e-mail stating that they would take orders until Oct. 1.

It was also mentioned in a posting at RV Dreams that one could still purchase used ones from the factory in Chanute, KS.

Here are two news articles regarding Nu-Wa.

http://rv-pro.com/news/nuwa-industri...dering-closure

http://www.rvbusiness.com/tag/nuwa-industries-inc/

2010 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5332 - 2008 Ford F450
Terry's Smugmug Site
terry and jo is offline   Reply With Quote